Dietitian and fitness trainer needed!

Options
I need help! I want to eat right and exercise so that I can lose wieght, because I have like 100 pounds to lose. I would love some advice.

I'm 17 years old. I'm 4'11" and I weigh around 220. Anyone can message me with some advice please

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    what sorts of problems are you having with the calorie counting MFP has set up for you?
  • kcb315
    kcb315 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    everything! Some people tell me to eat 1,200 calories, some people tell me more. some tell me to eat exercise calories back, some tell me not to. I cant get away from the sodium! and i just have a problem eating in general. i really need help with everything. just starting over and helping me take it slow to eating right and exercising. i think i went into it too fast and i just got confised with everything.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    good for you!... i think it's wonderful that you are seeking help!

look at my diary & get inspired ;)
  • SlwNStdy
    Options
    some advice i recived from a fitness trainer is water: take your body weight, divide it in half and that is how many ounces of water you should drink a day

some advice from a friend who is body builder: your body burns 30-40 calories for every 8 oz glass of ICE cold water you drink!
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would start with a nutritionist. I would jump from your calories now to 1200 maybe take a specific number off your cal count every couple day. You will starve yourself. Also research and dont just believe everything you here from random ppl they usually are sharing info they have only heard from so and so. Good luck to you! You can do it!!
  • truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I am studying to be a dietitian (I'll have my credentials by this time next year, hopefully!) and I would recommend seeing if you can set up some sort of appointment with an RD. They'll go over what types of foods you normally eat, talk about your lifestyle, and really help you make personalized goals. This website is AWESOME, but every person is different and meeting with an RD will really help you figure out what's right for YOU.

Good luck!!
  • krbn2
    krbn2 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for an RD in your area, you can find one at http://www.eatright.org/programs/rdfinder/

If you're looking for a personal trainer, your local gym might have someone on staff or freelance who they could recommend.

If you're looking for some random advice from random people and have *no* idea how to start working out, I would suggest exercise videos on Hulu (they have a "health and fitness" category) or Exercise TV (www.exercisetv.tv) or Body Rock (www.bodyrock.tv). Body rock is super hard. Or just start walking around your neighborhood.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    some advice from a friend who is body builder: your body burns 30-40 calories for every 8 oz glass of ICE cold water you drink!

This is untrue. You burn closer to 18 calories while drinking a 16oz glass of water, which is a negligible in the grand scheme of caloric intake. (http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question447.htm)

Not to discourage you, but you're asking a very vague question and perhaps you'd be better served by contacting a local RD and PT. I'm certified and more than happy to answer specific questions, but I'm not going to create a customized workout plan for free.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    If you need help with exercise instruction, it is best to hire a personal trainer. Do not rely on exercise tips you read on the internet or from anyone who is not a certified trainer in general. The reason I say this is because a personal trainer can give you a proper assessment and will be able to design the correct program for you to follow. You may be suffering from inflexibilities, weaknesses, and/or postural deficiencies. If any of these things are present, they can have a serious impact on your exercise routine! For example, let's say you were told to do lunges as part of your weight training routine. That's great, lunges are a completely dynamic exercise. But what if you don't know how to execute the lunge properly? Or what if you have a muscular weakness that could possibly lead to a permanent injury just because the lunge exacerbated the situation? The worst is incorrectly doing some exercises and the result is microtrauma on the spine.

Maybe a trainer is too expensive. But in the long run it's the best investment you can make in yourself.
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Dolphina Goddess workout. It is a belly dance workout and really fun. You learn some sexy moves as a bonus! Not to mention it not only burns calories but tones and keeps your curves pretty.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Do you have health insurance, or are covered under your parents? Depending on the plan you may be able to get free appointments with a nutritionist, who can teach you the basics of nutrition and work on a meal plan for you. If you have a car, check out Planet Fitness (on 422/222 near the Penn State campus) in Reading for a low-cost workout. There may even be one closer to you.

If you have to go at it alone, start with a book on nutrition. Learn about what fats, carbs and proteins do for your body and start focusing on the eating. For exercise, get moving -- walk walk walk . You can find basics of free weights training on the net as well. Start simple w/ the exercise while you get your eating under control.