Zero Calorie Miracle Noodles?

Options
So I recently heard about a new plant based "noodle" with zero calories, carbs, fat, sugar, basically zero everything. They have some fiber, but nothing else. They're originally called Shirataki, but are sold in the US under the name Miracle Noodles. I really want to try some, but they sound too good to be true. Has anyone else tried any of them? They come in a variety of shapes, but I assume they all taste the same/have the same texture. Please let me know what you think!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a zero calorie food. Everything, except water, has calories.
  • TheTonyPony
    Options
    From what I've heard, the chemicals in the noodles aren't very good for you. Similar to eating the nutritional equivilant of glue. I was warned by my nutritionist to stay away from them.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have Shirataki fettucini noodles in the fridge right now. I don't know why I bought them because I don't think I can even stomach them. I think I am going to stick with the Barilla Plus pasta.
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Just posting so I can come back and read more. :)
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    i've tried the Shirataki noodles. there were 20 calories per serving very little fat and carbs. The ones i had though were called tofu shirataki. Not horrible. I wouldn't eat them everyday but fill my pasta need...lol
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I need to add the smell is foul until you rinse them for a while. I give them 3 our of 5 stars :)
  • bunnieslippers
    Options
    I read about them and was thinking of checking them out but maybe I won't bother..
    Wildwood sells Shiritaki Noodles, Spaghetti and Spinach that I've seen, with 20-25cals per serving. Anyone ever heard of those?
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I tried them once. Never again. I'll stick with spaghetti squash as my vehicle of choice to get the sauce to my mouth. I rinsed them, but the smell would come back. Yuck.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles are no zero calories, they're 20 calories per 4oz serving with 1g fat, 3g carbs, and 1g protein. I've heard mixed reviews, but I've never tried them myself.
  • bettycass
    bettycass Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have used them. I rinse them well, drain them, then boil them a few minutes. After that you can use them in recipes that require pasta. My favorite is to use in stir fry with shrimp and frozen Chinese vegetable blend. I use seasoning like ginger, soy sauce and whatever I think it needs. With all that you really can not tell any difference and it sure cuts down on calories. So far all I have used is the angel hair variety. I would like to try the one that resembles rice.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a zero calorie food. Everything, except water, has calories.

^ This.

When you see food marked as "0 calories" that is only because anything that is less than 5 calories per serving is allowed to be marked as 0. Even tea and coffee have calories.

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
    Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
  • penelofur
    penelofur Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i've tried the Shirataki noodles. there were 20 calories per serving very little fat and carbs. The ones i had though were called tofu shirataki. Not horrible. I wouldn't eat them everyday but fill my pasta need...lol

ya- I have had these. They are ok. I found that the pasta sauce did not stick to the noodles. They had an odd chewy texture. I do not think I would buy them again.
  • Maria_Everett
    Options
    i just tried it for the first time today. it taste weird thats for sure:) i did orange chicken and i had some miracle rice with it. i made it with some soy sause i dont think i could eat it plain. It wasnt horrible but i dont think i'll buy it again but i wanted to try it even that i heard before thats not the best product ever:) but they did fill me up tho and no calories nor carbs or sugar and my meal was less than 200 calories:) i got mine at local health store and it was like $2.89+tax
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    From what I've read about it its basically flavorless for the most part and used as empty bulk to make you feel full. I dunno about them. This is the nutritional info on the variety pack
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 0Calories from Fat 0
    Total Fat 0g0%
    Protein 0g0%
    Protein <1g0%
    Sugar 0g0%
    Carbohydrate <1g - only fiber
    Zero Net Carbs, Zero Calories, Zero Glycemic Index

Ingredients: Water, glucomannan (soluble fiber), calcium additive.

No soy, gluten, or wheat!

I dont know exactly what glucomannan is, but I looked it up and its supposedly not bad for you. Its added to foods to thicken it. My mind isn't made up about this one
  • pandapwned
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I definitely didn't think they would be the "miracle" they claim to be. I'm still curious, but definitely won't be buying in bulk.
  • busymnmom
    busymnmom Posts: 133
    Options
    I have tried them. They weren't bad. I had to go to the local asian market to find them though.
  • apee24
    apee24 Posts: 46
    Options
    I actually just saw them today myself, but I saw a post where somebody commented, and they said they taste really fishy. They didn't seem to like the flavor of them at all.
  • Cruz2Fit
    Cruz2Fit Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I tried them and NEVER AGAIN!!! The only "noodle" part of them is the shape. They do taste fishy and the consistency is slimy. They'll continue to make an appearance for many days after you've had them, if u know what I mean. As fir my poor hubby, they gave him a terrible stomach ache.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    This is the ones you can get in Australia. Haven't had them yet. Been told they require some sort of sauce for flavour.

Chang's super lo-cal

IMG_0954.jpg
  • mikioi
    mikioi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You can find Shirataki noodles in your local asian food market. These noodles are 0 calories. They are very chewy and have a very interesting/different smell when you first open the package. I find it helpful to rinse the noodles very well first and even soak for about an hour in water with a splash of vinegar. House foods also makes "tofu shirataki" noodles that have little calories. These noodles arenʻt as chewy as as the regular shirataki. I enjoy eating these noodles in soups or making stir frys with them.