Humane Dairy Products

Options
Does anyone know any big name cheese/yogurt makers that treat their animals humanely? I moved out of Oregon to Illinois and I no longer have a dairy farmer in arms reach and only big name grocery stores to shop at. Thanks for any help.

Replies

• nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm from Illinois! (North suburbs of Chicago, specifically). I get my dairy USDA certified organic--That is a MUST so that you can be sure your products are free from additives and hormones. As for humane treatment, I get Phil's cage free eggs (not quite dairy, but I'm getting there!) and usually Horizon milk. I think they're good to their cows :) At the moment, actually, I have started a vegan diet, so I prefer vanilla flavored coconut milk, or regular soy milk. SoDelicious makes really yummy coconut milk, and it's suuuper healthy, with calcium, vitamin D and magnesium added to help absorption of calcium. Also has healthy fats. Only 90 cals a cup. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that if you go to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's (idk if that's available, but those are your best bets), you'd be able to find what you're looking for. The staff at those stores are also very knowledgeable on most things, so you could ask them too!
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I know that Stoneyfield is totally humane, but as much as I like their business practices I don't like the low protein content and sugar. Have you looked to see if there are any at farmer's markets, or a CSA near you? Other than that, I would agree with other respondent I have inquired at TJ's and they do have humane practices in their business model apparently, and of course Whole Foods but I'm sensing you might not be near either. Which makes me think I need to look into Fage's practices since I rely on their yogurt when I eat it and I don't know a thing about them....
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options

great link, thanks for posting
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys for the responses! I do agree about Stoneyfield - SO much sugar/stevia and not so much protein! I have a Trader Joe's 30 minutes from here - I just didn't know they practiced humane treatment (yay!) I have a Whole Foods an hour away, but, ommmgggg, the prices are insane!

I e-mailed Greek God, but I have not heard back from them. Not sure about Fage, either. Keep ya posted.

Thanks for the link!

xxxooo!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk and as far as I know, they abuse the almonds. They go into their native habitat and shake the mess out of them until they cannot hold on any longer. They consequently fall into a large net where they are huddled with their peers. Once the reach the processing plant, they are pressed for everything they have. And the rest is history. There is no mercy in the almond milk industry. They are plundered and murdered, all for our enjoyment.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk and as far as I know, they abuse the almonds. They go into their native habitat and shake the mess out of them until they cannot hold on any longer. They consequently fall into a large net where they are huddled with their peers. Once the reach the processing plant, they are pressed for everything they have. And the rest is history. There is no mercy in the almond milk industry. They are plundered and murdered, all for our enjoyment.

This gave me a good laugh -- thanks :D
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Totally wasn't expecting that, and I love it! Thanks for the laughs!
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options

this!