Success without gym?

Options
This time around I am attempting not to use the gym to exercise. I'm curious if there is anyone else who has tried it this way? I primarily use exercise videos, and an app on my phone that assists with weight training.

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I'm not using a gym. I've been doing C25K, tennis, walking and using Wii Fit on occasion.
  • Justice2012
    Justice2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am trying this too. I mean I walk here and there, but I do not go to the gym per se. I only lost 6 pounds so far..so I dont know if I qualify as a voice of reason here. I have been doing this for only a week, so I am a newbie. Hopefully I wont have to exercise a lot, becasue it makes me so hungry.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The majority of exercise I get is from my stationary recumbent bike and Wii Fit Plus. I've been here on MFP 75 days and have lost almost 12 pounds, which is a first for me. Nothing has been as effective as logging in my food each day and exercising almost every day as I've been doing. Best wishes on your new journey here!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I've lost 67 pounds and have never once set foot in a gym. I'm all about the workout DVDs, c25k, my bike, and long walks.
  • cgeiser1
    cgeiser1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I'm trying that as well. I cant really afford the gym anymore. I use videos and I make up my own circuit training routines. It's definitely hard I don't burn as many calories so I have to learn to make better food choices. It's a work in progress.
  • RoseVernon
    Options
    I was more successful without the gym. I've lost all my weight in the comfort and privacy of my own living room. I have small kids so its hard for me to get out of the house. I exercise while they're napping. Good luck!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I dont' have a gym membership but I do have a really nice set up in the basement :-)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I never go to the gym.....
  • yoopergirl74
    yoopergirl74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 by walking mostly. A few times I've been swimming (only because I had to for work.)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    No gym for me. 63.2 lbs. down this year so far. Just started c25k. The occasional bike ride is about it, though. I wish I had worked out this whole time instead of waiting! I need to build some muscles, yo! lol

But yeah, the gym is not necessary. Walking, running and bicycling are pretty much free. Plus at-home DVDs are so fun! :D
  • hayescarmen364
    Options
    You dont need a gym to be Success. over a year ago I used bodyweight exersice along with running to Prepare myself for Marine Corps basic training and I went from 240 down to 190 in alittle over a month by just cutting out soda and some junk food along with bodyweight exersice's along with running 5 days a week. I felt like I was stronger each week and I was leaner. Here is a workout program I used and what I am doing now again. Some exersices may be weird sounding but you can look them up and its great for cardio if you do little or no rest. You can also change the Reps to your fitness standards.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97480
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    42 lbs gone without the gym:bigsmile: exercise DVD's and walking outside are my best tools because I can workout in my own home with my kiddies here with me. I am thinking about investing in either a treadmill or an elliptical but other then that still home workouts for me.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I'm going in the opposite direction. We're looking into joining the YMCA primarily because of all the programs they have for the kids, but I think I'll take advantage of the gym.

But I'm able to stay in shape without it. I run outside, and now have a treadmill for the winter months. I use a stationary bike to cross train for cardio, and I'm trying to get my hubby to fix his bike so we can go riding this fall. I use P90X and 30 Day Shred DVDs right now for strength. I mix them up and I'm able to target a lot of muscle groups. I'm planning on doing a lot of hiking this fall. I've also heard good things about Zumba - if you have a video game console you might be able to do that.

I'm not an expert, but for me variety is key. I think variety will help me avoid overuse injuries as well as help me stay interested in my workout. I'm excited that I will be able to use the elliptical and do laps in the pool at the Y, something I can't do at home. But if it weren't for the kids' programs, I don't think I could justify the cost.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym and have lost weight successfully without it.
    I run, walk, cycle and work out at home doing pushups, situps etc. I do have a bit of exercise gear at home thanks to my husband's tendency to buy thing that are advertised on TV, so I use these for strength training and situps sometimes.

The thing I wouldn't be without these days is my iPhone - I have apps for running and other workouts and love to listen to audio books when I'm running.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I dont go to the gym. I have been doing C25k outside and 30ds.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym. I do active games on the Wii and take walks around our subdivision. I've been at this since last September, so a little over a year now. A gym is not necessary :)
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, but I started learning about exercises I could do at home. I started with walking and exercise DVDs, now I have a routine with strength training using my body and a few weights I purchased used.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Last time I lost weight (90 lbs in under a year) I just had an exercise program on tv, some videos, handweights and an exercise bike from Goodwill that I got for like $10.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I used to have a gym membership and go all the time...and I never lost any weight. It was always so discouraging. But since my fiance and I bought a bowflex, some free weights, and an x-box kinect (I love the zumba game) I've been working out at home on my own time and there's been a noticable difference.

I don't own a scale (long story) so I couldn't tell you outright how much I've lost, but it's gone. Unless you need the free weights or the equipment that they have at the gym, you don't need to go. You can do plenty at home on your own time.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've never set foot in a gym but I have a vast collection of exercise dvds that I'm finally putting to use.
    I've got a swiss ball, you can find workouts with them online & make up your own. I do a lot of walking too, I like to go for a wander & check out other peoples gardens for inspiration. And that's another workout I enjoy too, gardening & lawn mowing.

I don't need to give my money to a gym, I prefer the privacy of my own home :)