Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

anyone awake?? (salmon recipe needed)

yup. it's midnight and i'm trying to figure out/log tomorrows meals.

I plan on having a nice salad for lunch, but obviously that isnt enough. So I was thinking of having salmon with it.
Lunch is usually the one meal that no one in my house eats the same thing. and because no one else will even try salmon...it's a lunch thing for me.

So what should i do with it? preferably in a skillet (how long would i cook it for?), but in the oven would work if i had to. something simple (as simple as possible), yet tastes good!

I bought 1lbs of it, didn't want to get too much just in case i didn't like it. I assume 4ish ounces is supposed to be a serving size?
Please? thanks!!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    You can just panfry it in a non stick pan - dead easy and very quick and the fat in the salmon caramelises so the outside is crunchy and delicious.

Or wrap it in foil with a drizzle of sesame oil, sauce, lime juice and lime zest if you have it. Bake it in the oven for 15 minutes or so (depends on the size of your fillet). I often do this but add a bunch of veggies into the foil - spring onions, zuccini, red capsicum are all good.

PS. it's lunchtime here... there is always someone awake on MFP :)
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Salmon egg roll:

2 egg thin omlete

Then put smoked salmon, horseraddish cream, cappers, thinly sliced cucumber, sauted mushrooms and onions and rocket, roll up eat and enjoy is so good works out under 300 calories. Is so good.
  • Dianaka
    Dianaka Posts: 48 Member
    I marinate salmon in lemon juice and soy sauce in the refrigerator( at least 30min or more) and than broil it covered in foil (make a little bag out of it with salmon inside) for 30 minutes. That's my favorite version as of now.
    You can also just put some of your favorite seasoning on it and bake it, open on 350 F...
    Even my kids will it salmon if I make it eaither one of these ways.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    6 am here in uK!

Do you have a piece of salon there - is it a fillet or a steak?

Marinading is always good - lemon juice, black pepper, some dill. Then cook the salmon over a medium heat turning occassionally until it's flaky.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    candied salmon is great if you dont mind the sugar...i tried to make it with sugar free syrup but it all disappeared...google some recipies, its sooo good
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    I poach my salmon - either fillets of steaks. Simple, moist and tender, quick, no risk of burning or drying out the fish.

Take a frying pan larger than the piece of fish and fill with water to just less than the depth of the fish, not an ounce more. Add a dash of lemon juice (I use real lemon and probably 2 Tbs.) I like to sprinkle the fish with salt, pepper, and rosemary sprigs.

Bring water to a tender boil and then turn down to simmer. Simmer 8 minutes, turn over, simmer another 8 minutes. Cut fish in the thickest section and see if cooked through. If yes, remove to a plate. If not done, continue cooking until center is flaky. Usually no more than another 4 minutes.
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    Take ur Salmon fillets and shake Lemon pepper seasoning on both sides

Take 2 thinly sliced pieces of lemon to put on top of ur pieces bake in the oven on 350 between 8-12 minutes
  • RFrick
    RFrick Posts: 408 Member
    Allrecipes.com is an amazing site!!! You can find pretty much any recipe you want there...
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    i use lemon juice and black pepper on my salmon (and chicken for that matter) put it on a piece of foil cover with a nice ammount of the juice then crind some black pepper on, wrap the foil round and bake in the oven, keeps it lovely and moist
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Do it en papillote (roughly translates to "in a pocket")!

Preheat your oven to 325ºF. Season both sides of the fish. I like a little salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cayenne, chili powder and garlic powder. Get a rectangle of aluminum foil, spray one side briefly with non-stick cooking spray. Lay a citrus slice or two (lemon, lime, orange, whatever) on the bottom, put the fish on top of that, cover with another slice or two of citrus. Add any fresh or thawed-from-frozen veggies you want to the foil. Fold up like a pocket. Turn the edges in a few times to really seal in the steam.

Bake for about 12 minutes. Let it steam in the packet for an additional minute or two before opening and turning out onto your plate. Super easy and yummy!

Or marinade for a few hours in a 50/50 mix of soy sauce and brown sugar/maple syrup/agave syrup/stevia/whatever sweetener you like. Grill, drizzling with the marinade as you cook. Or bake it. So amazingly good.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    We eat salmon all the time here. . . I cook it one of four ways. . (METHOD I MEAN)

STOVE: a little olive oil . . add the spices you prefer. . I like cayenne, lemon pepper, black pepper, and garlic, as well as some basil or oregano

OVEN: cook on 350 degrees. . I just add pepper and some of those same seasonings and back for 15 mins . . you don't have to cover it in the oven.

BARBECUE: wrap in foil with some fresh squeezed lemon juice and spices you like. . fresh herbs, and some cayenne for me.

MICROWAVE: (MAIN METHOD HERE) place pieces in quiche dish after spraying with PAM . . same spices as STOVE method,
    cover with wax paper and cook for 2-3 mins. . .remove. . eat as is or we squeeze some fresh lemon on it.

Good luck with your cooking.
  • Take a small bowl and mix a little soy sauce and sesame oil and stir. Then let the salmon marinate in it for about 15 mins. Then what I usually do is cook it on a frying pan letting it cook for maybe 4 mins on each side (it all depends how well you like it cooked). While cooking i sprinkle sesame seeds on either side so that they are nice and toasted. and wa-lah. a delicious meal.
  • Gorger
    Gorger Posts: 100 Member
    Yep. I'm a west coast person and we eat salmon all the time... Just like the person before me said, the best way to make Salmon is with China Lily Soya Sauce and Lemon juice.
    throw the fish in a frypan with a bit of butter and olive oil to fry (things brown better with that combo). While its frying throw a splash of the soya sauce and a splash of lemon and the grate some pepper on top. Voila! Also you can do the same thing for the BBQ on a piece of tin foil like she says. Salmon is an oily fish and so you don't need to put any fat on the foil.
    I always rinse the fish first in cold water. Makes it more juicy when you cook it and keeps it more fresh. Fresh red onions are good with it too (not cooked).
  • ASaxe23
    ASaxe23 Posts: 158 Member
    lemons and capers!
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    My husband is the cook in the family & he marinates salmon in Italian dressing, then wraps it in foil & BBQs it for 20 minutes. Not exactly something you can do at lunch, but maybe for future use - like cook it the night before then nuke it.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    i love salmon and try to eat it atleast once a week. i had it this past FRI. I first take my grill pan and heat it on about med-med/high and then take about an 8oz fresh salmon filet and spray it with canola cooking spray and cover it with Old Bay seasoning. You might not have that where you are, but it is a Maryland thing, but I think that it is available in stores in other places. I also put on some extra cracked black pepper. I put in in flesh side down until i see that it is cooked around 1/3 of the way up. Then i flip it over to the skin side until it is cooked how i like it, a tiny bit still kinda rare-ish in the middle. SO YUMMY!!
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    I used to fry mine in a pan with butter.

Now I bake it in an oven dish lined with foil, then a piece of non-stick oven paper on top, put the fish on the non-stick paper, it cooks itself, all the oils come out of the fish and it cooks nice and soft. No oil or butter required!!!! Sometimes I sprinkle some all seasoning powder on the upper side of the fish first. Yum.

Soy sauce sounds very yum like people have suggested but now that i've seen its sodium content I won't use it.
  • tolkienite
    tolkienite Posts: 204 Member
    Gilled with chinese five spice brushed on top. Delicious, and really filling. The crust the spices create make it seem like there's more somehow.