how to stop feeling so dizzy?

Options
okay so this has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss..

but i have the flu and it is extremely hard to even get out of bed cos i am so dizzy.
i am drinking 12-14 glasses of water a day.
any ways to minimise this as i can not take the day off work? (i need money for bills and can't afford a dr right now)

Replies

• glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Rest and fluids is probably the best solution
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're trying to drink stuff with electrolytes and eat a least a little something . Low blood sugar and lack of good salts can contribute to dizziness.
  • SarahBeeMe
    SarahBeeMe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you have spent a long time in bed, you will feel dizzy when you get out of bed... it's sort of like of virtigo. So try to sit up whenever possible, and when you do get up spend a few minute sitting on the edge of the bed first to get used to it. But I hasten to add, I'm no professional... Must be a nightmare not being able to see a Dr but if you're feeling really awful then you should really consider it... I hope you feel better really soon! xx
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Maybe your inner ear is off cuz of being sick. Have you tried a nasal decongestant? Some times that helps clear my ears a bit so im not so dizzy when im stuffy. Hope you feel better soon!
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're trying to drink stuff with electrolytes and eat a least a little something . Low blood sugar and lack of good salts can contribute to dizziness.
    Pretty much exactly what I was going to say (great minds?). Sometimes there just isn't much you can do about it when you're sick, but that should help.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

but i have the flu and it is extremely hard to even get out of bed cos i am so dizzy.
    any ways to minimise this as i can not take the day off work? (i need money for bills and can't afford a dr right now)
  • Tisha247
    Options

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I was accidentally drunk for two days straight on Nyquil and Dayquil because I felt so awful and they were the only things making that flu bearable. I say accidentally drunk because I felt super dizzy the couple of times I got out of bed and had no idea why. Then I realized it was from all the alcohol I was essentially chugging! I don't regret it because that flu would have taken down Paul Bunyan AND Babe the blue ox. :laugh: And probably the giant from Jack and the Beanstalk.

Moral of the story: Fee, fi, fo, fum...take non-drowsy medicines.

Hope that helps!
  • Tisha247
    Options
    Whoops didn't mean to do that. Anyway your Australian arn't you, so go to a doctor that bulk bills. Australians can always go to the doctors. Don't you have any sick leave left?

• tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Maybe your inner ear is off cuz of being sick. Have you tried a nasal decongestant? Some times that helps clear my ears a bit so im not so dizzy when im stuffy. Hope you feel better soon!

^ This!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Whoops didn't mean to do that. Anyway your Australian arn't you, so go to a doctor that bulk bills. Australians can always go to the doctors. Don't you have any sick leave left?

Noone bulk bills in canberra, except for one which takes more than a month to get into. Also, as we are so short on GP's we usually have to book 1-2 weeks ahead, especially in this season can be up to a month. Also I only started this job about 2 months ago so don't think I have built up any sick leave yet.
  • Tisha247
    Options
    Wow only one doctor that bulk bills, what about the local hospital surely you could see a doctor there, is there an outpatients? Be careful driving if you feel dizzy, perhaps just ask your new employees for a sick day off in advance. It would be a health and safety matter, no good being sick at work. Get better soon mate!

Noone bulk bills in canberra, except for one which takes more than a month to get into. Also, as we are so short on GP's we usually have to book 1-2 weeks ahead, especially in this season can be up to a month. Also I only started this job about 2 months ago so don't think I have built up any sick leave yet.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

1-2 weeks? Shoot you'll be over being sick by then.

Very glad I live somewhere that I can get in to see a doctor the same day I call.
  • WendyHJ
    WendyHJ Posts: 60
    Options
    I am sorry you are sick! But I want to urge you to keep your bugs to yourself and stay home while you are sick. If you go to work sick and then make your colleagues sick. Don't you think they need money too? so maybe you will get your full check, but your co-workers are going to get sick and miss work. And then they will go home and get their families sick, including their little children

The right thing to do is to stay home, take care of yourself. You will get better faster by staying in bed. Three days in bed takes 5 or 6 days if you're walking around So unless you work in a booth by yourself and aren't able to contaminate anyone with your germs, stay home. Your boss will thank you. They don't want to deal with losing even more workers.
  • Tisha247
    Options
    That is to see a doctor for free, she would be able to see a doctor straight away but would have to pay the upfront fee but then you could go to medicare and have most refunded anyway.

1-2 weeks? Shoot you'll be over being sick by then.

Very glad I live somewhere that I can get in to see a doctor the same day I call.
  • Tisha247
    Options
    Spot on!
    I am sorry you are sick! But I want to urge you to keep your bugs to yourself and stay home while you are sick. If you go to work sick and then make your colleagues sick. Don't you think they need money too? so maybe you will get your full check, but your co-workers are going to get sick and miss work. And then they will go home and get their families sick, including their little children

The right thing to do is to stay home, take care of yourself. You will get better faster by staying in bed. Three days in bed takes 5 or 6 days if you're walking around So unless you work in a booth by yourself and aren't able to contaminate anyone with your germs, stay home. Your boss will thank you. They don't want to deal with losing even more workers.