Expert advice needed.

Options
cheeksv
cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
I am told that eating fruit is what is keeping me from loosing weight and advised to skip it all together, replace it with veggies and that is it. The reasoning is all fruit are high in calories, carbs and sugars. I do know sugar content in fruit can be high. I measure my fruit and try to usually stay within the limit given in MFP. However I am skeptical about giving it up all together. This person is NOT a professional so any professional advice is welcome becasue I am at my witts end. I have read about the benefit of fruit in general but, would like to know once and for all if I should not eat it.

Replies

• CindiBryce
    Options
    I am told that eating fruit is what is keeping me from loosing weight and advised to skip it all together, replace it with veggies and that is it. The reasoning is all fruit are high in calories, carbs and sugars. I do know sugar content in fruit can be high. I measure my fruit and try to usually stay within the limit given in MFP. However I am skeptical about giving it up all together. This person is NOT a professional so any professional advice is welcome becasue I am at my witts end. I have read about the benefit of fruit in general but, would like to know once and for all if I should not eat it.
    Don't be absurd and eliminate fruit from your diet! It is not fruit that is inhibiting your weight loss. If you are consuming more than you burn, you will not lose weight.
    This is form CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/nutrition/pdf/rtp_practitioner_10_07.pdf
  • Jenmilleroz
    Options
    My nutritionist advised me to have two pieces per day and to avoid juices, my goal is to lose lose half a kilo per week.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Like everything else, its all about moderation. You dont need to completely cut out fruit, just get clever with how much and what fruits you eat.

Theyre not that nigh in calories - about 100 for a banana, 70 for an apple, pretty low for berries, But they are full of sugar,

One thing i would really limit, though, is fruit juice.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    * for clarification*
    I do not drink fruit juices.
    I have one cup of frozen grapes a day or one banana never both. I am also giving up the grapes because they are so high in sugar I just have to finish the ones I have now.
    No other sugar in general other than milk and what is in veggies

That being said. Thank you, I think I know I can have fruit but maybe I will cut it in half. like half a banana, half a cup of grapes etc. I am loosing weight regardless but, still.
  • blakeman187
    Options
    Have you ever heard of someone being overweight because they ate too much fruit?
    Answer is no...
    When I am on a cut, fruits are the only carb source I use. I'll eat a bag a grapes in one day
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    So if you dont currently eat that much fruit, its not going to be a radical change to your diet? 1 piece a day is hardly something thats holding you back. I'd stay with it.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I just have berries for my fruit as they tend to be lower cal than some other friuts
    sometimes I have an apple rhubarb is really good and very low in cals I cook it with some sweetener and vanilla and then freeze in small cubes and its just like eating some sweets - very similar to your frozen grapes
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    Options
    The best fruits to eat would be BERRIES. Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries. I wouldn't cut out fruit, but try changing which kinds you eat. Berries are total superfoods.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    personally i don't think you are eating enough fruit for it to be hindering your weight loss so i wouldn't cut it out, you get lots of other nutrients from fruit as well as fibre i really wouldn't worry about it but perhaps vary the fruit on occasion to stop boredom and change those nutrients
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    Have you ever heard of someone being overweight because they ate too much fruit?
    Answer is no...
    When I am on a cut, fruits are the only carb source I use. I'll eat a bag a grapes in one day
    Ha ha I haven't heard of gaining weight from solely fruit either. It is simply irrational to eliminate fruit from your diet.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so it's hard to know what is hindering your loss. I am not an expert, but I am someone that lost 89 pounds while still eating fruit! I typically eat fruit twice a day.
  • girlypop
    Options
    What a ridiculous suggestion. First of all everyone, should know fruits are super healthy and it's hard to go wrong when it comes to fruits and vegetables. Second of all, how on earth are you planning on maintaining a diet without fruit? Seriously, do you plan to never eat fruit again? If you do, more than likely you'll be deficient in several vitamins unless you take a supplement. To maintain any weight loss you need to have a diet that's sustainable, which is why people talk of life style change.

By all means, go ahead and cut fruit out of your diet and maybe you'll lose weight faster; but, they often say that the faster you lose weight the faster you gain it back!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Its always suppose to be about moderation - the amount of fruit that works for you, will be different for the next person...

Im with a previous poster - I can only have the wildberry-category and no more than one serving per day because of a couple of very challenging medical problems I have... For me, too much fruit is actually counter-productive... But that one serving goes lovely in my breakfast smoothie... makes it thick like a milkshake when frozen!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i think i have at least 2-3 pieces of fruit a day. i was actually thinking of eating some more!

i read somewhere that one apple can have as much energy or more as a can of coca-cola, so i've replaced my usual 3pm soda at work with a golden delicious. because i work out and i hate cramps, i usually have 1-2 bananas a day, and i throw in some frozen berries with my protein shake after a work out.

fruits will not stop you from reaching your goals.
  • breezysoul
    breezysoul Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am a certified nutrition and wellness consultant and would suggest that you not give up fruit. One or two servings of fruit everyday is beneficial to your body. Not only does fruit have fiber, vitamins, and minerals, but plant foods have phytochemicals which help us to fight off disease. Enjoy fruit in moderation - especially berries. Eating whole foods "from the rainbow" ensures a balanced diet full of nutritious properties.