things that have helped -share

Options
I would really love for people to add what has really worked for them
from their actual diet to changes in their life to accommodate their plans for a healthier life

its early days for me but these things have helped so far

I have chosen 2 not one diets (I have a back up just in case I dont stick with the first one) thinking I am less likely to give up
I have started to use MFP
I write my food journal the night before and tick it off as I go and write in unplanned eating - so far I have found this so helpful in stopping the unplanned eating
I give myself credit for each behaviour that is positive :)

I am sure I do others

what can you add to the list

Replies

• LorTay8
    LorTay8 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello - good post and great start! I have found that daily tracking is helping and analysing what I've eaten is getting me towards making healthy choices (I eat too many carbs) I'm finding my way - so these tips will help as I am not planning ahead yet and I think I should. MFP makes me conscious of eating healthily, and at least attempting to be active!! A few more like minded friends would be good as we spur each other on. Good luck!:smile:
  • WendyHJ
    WendyHJ Posts: 60
    Options
    Just having a tool like MFP for looking up food info is working for me. I am working wit a doctor and she gave me a food journal to fill out and I did that for two meals before going online and signing up here. She had another patient recommend it to her and I am glad because I don't know if I would have thought to go online, I didn't know there were whole communities like this available. Looking stuff up in a booklet and handwriting it is so time consuming, that right there might sabotage a lot of diets!

Advice from the doctor that is working for me:
    30 g protein within 60 minutes of waking (Syntrax Nectar Sweets protein shakes are the best, IMO)
    Try to get 120 g protein a day (havent managed this yet)
    Stay under 100 g carbs (sometimes can do it , but usually the protein and carb counts are close together. I should focus more)
    Less than 50 g fat a day
    1200 calories a day - my height and weight burns 1700 calories at rest, so a 500 calorie deficit seems to be key.

I do use MFP for making food choices, sometimes I start putting in what to eat for lunch or dinner and then see the numbers on a food and go WOW guess I am not eating that! At least not with this meal. No food is off limits as long as it stays within my limits. Or close. If I have hit 1200 calories I will still have my 40 calorie no sugar added Fudgsicle. No point in denying Myself life's simple pleasures.