Can anyone recommend..

Options
something like muscle milk, protein powder, vitamins, etc.. for a girl that is doing the workout program Insanity? I want to see results. I know Beachbody sells results and recovery formula and Shakeology, but it's too expensive.

I went into a GNC the other day and was completely overwhelmed. Any suggestions?

Replies

• JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    Did you ask the people at GNC they are super helpful in that department or atleast the ones by me are.
  • sendingallmylove
    Options
    I did, but I was still very overwhelmed. He was very nice and helpful but I didnt do my research about the products and just didn't know what to buy, what would be best for me, ya know?
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    Glad you didn't buy before doing your research to be honest the only supplements you need would be whey protein powder(only for convenience if you are unable to meet your daily protein needs), Fish Oils(Hormone, skin and organ benefits) and a multi vitamin if you are deficient in your diet.

The rest of the stuff is pretty much a money making scheme.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    i dont use supplements at all.

For protein hits I eat cottage cheese, oily fish, eggs and other high sources of protein.

I am a "protein based" person so function better with high amounts of protein, but dont believe in any kind of supplements, pills, shakes etc.

Ive not had any problems so far, have lost all the weight I needed to lose and endurance cardio fit am now toning up with weights.
  • mamaredhead
    Options
    What if you just went there again and asked the super-helpful guy the questions you need to have answered? Ask him the same thing you're asking on here! You don't need to know everything about the products if you got a nice person having done all the research already, do you?

Write down what you want from your product and what not. How much you can spend and e.g. if you can live with animal protein there or rather not. And then ask the guy :-)

That's what I would do ...

Good luck!
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    What if you just went there again and asked the super-helpful guy the questions you need to have answered? Ask him the same thing you're asking on here! You don't need to know everything about the products if you got a nice person having done all the research already, do you?

Write down what you want from your product and what not. How much you can spend and e.g. if you can live with animal protein there or rather not. And then ask the guy :-)

That's what I would do ...

Good luck!

Tip: Asking a sales rep these question and they will try to sell you a load of ####, they are there to promote their products...not to help you reach your goals.
  • sendingallmylove
    Options
    Yeah, that's why I didn't buy anything because I wasnt sure if I could trust what he was telling me. To be honest though, I was doing some research and this vita-pack called Be-Hot for women has some really good reviews. More good than bad. Anyone used it? Heard of it?
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Glad you didn't buy before doing your research to be honest the only supplements you need would be whey protein powder(only for convenience if you are unable to meet your daily protein needs), Fish Oils(Hormone, skin and organ benefits) and a multi vitamin if you are deficient in your diet.

I agree with everything you said. Except the part about the rest of that stuff being a scheme. P90X recovery formula is amazing. It does exactly what it says it does. I hardly feel any soreness after my workouts when I drink that stuff. And Shakeology is a quick and easy meal replacement that fills you up and taste great! I will admit there are a little cheaper options out there. But implying they are a scheme is incorrect.
  • sendingallmylove
    Options

I agree with everything you said. Except the part about the rest of that stuff being a scheme. P90X recovery formula is amazing. It does exactly what it says it does. I hardly feel any soreness after my workouts when I drink that stuff. And Shakeology is a quick and easy meal replacement that fills you up and taste great! I will admit there are a little cheaper options out there. But implying they are a scheme is incorrect.

Hey! You're supposed to be like my trainer or something and helping me out with these important decisions! Lol.
  • PBJunkie
    Options

Had to google the ingredients, pretty much the same as my custom made post workout drink.

- Choc whey
    - Banana
    - L-Glutamine (Amino acid responsible for relieving the soreness and healing)

The question should be which is cheaper? and is it necessary for her to consume creatine?
  • Spitfirex007
    Options

Had to google the ingredients, pretty much the same as my custom made post workout drink.

- Choc whey
    - Banana
    - L-Glutamine (Amino acid responsible for relieving the soreness and healing)

The question should be which is cheaper? and is it necessary for her to consume creatine?

A tub of P90X recovery formula is $50. That will last you a month.

A month supply of Whey will run you about $15. Glutamine will cost about $15 and banana's will cost you about $5 a month maybe. So you are looking at about $35 dollars for your homemade drink compared to $50. Like I said there are a little cheap options.
  • Spitfirex007
    Options

Hey! You're supposed to be like my trainer or something and helping me out with these important decisions! Lol.

The only supplements I take are whey protein (I get mine at wal mart for like $20 a tub) I take one after my workouts. As that is the most important time to consume protein. I take Spring Valley Salmon fish oils. I also drink Shakeology and P90X recovery once and awhile also.