this is embarrasing....but welcome to my journey!

Options
Hi MFPers

I know this is going to sound so cliched but, it's time to turn a page. I have been overweight...sorry I mean obese, for the last 15 years and I'm fed up. About a month ago i thought it was time to get real. I'm 34, female and started at 101kg...wow, I feel ashamed just typing that.

Anyhoo, six weeks ago I changed my ways, and a month ago i started using MFP on iphone and have made a concerted effort to change my ways. I have been eating well, cutting the bad foods, exercising and trying to get a decent nights sleep. This morning I weighed in at 93.8kg....IT'S WORKING!!!

But....and there is always a but, i feel myself slipping back into old ways. I am starting to crave salty snacks and sugar, and try to fend them off with distractions.

I would love to make some friends on here, to help on my journey and get inspiration, and hopefully inspire others. This seems like a great community and I look forward to being challenged by you all.

Thanks
Chris

Replies

• Fatchickslim
    Fatchickslim Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hey Chris, congrats on your awesome work so far thats a big effort and you should be proud! Feel free to add me if you like!
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    Welcome! As for your cravings, the best advice I can give is to indulge once in a while. Everything in moderation, y'know? Even if that means having one day a month where you can just eat whatever you want -- be it some chocolate, some pringles, or both! One day a month won't make you gain all the weight back, but it will keep you more focused, in my experience.

And congrats on your work so far!
  • jiggs31
    jiggs31 Posts: 117
    Options
    You are doing great - add me and we can help each other fight off those sugary snacks!! :)
  • bettyboop1042
    Options
    Best of luck to you!! Your doing great. I just started five days ago!
  • xginanax
    xginanax Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    First of all congratz on your weight loss :) and for your craving its okay to eat those stuff once in a while, its not gonna make you put all the weight back in! e.g why dont you celebrate your weight loss even if you dont loose anything buy eating and drinking something u really love but cant because its fattening :)

The more you try to stay away from your craving the more you lately to fail on your diet so yes its okay to eat now and then just dont over do it! :)
  • psychc
    psychc Posts: 28
    Options
    this is such an awesome community! thanks for the encouragment everyone.
    Chrys

PS even more embarrasing is that I spelt my name wrong....argggh!!
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well done - that is incredibly good in just 6 weeks - and surely must go far in wiping away some of your embarrassment. Now that you know what you need to do you just have to plod it out. Work some of the foods you are craving into your allowance as it is not good to be constantly craving something that is not achievable. That way you get to eat anything you want - albeit limited in frequency and quantity.

Debbie
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Cravings happen. You can't indulge every whim, but if there is one that is persistent, try to accommodate it. I try to fit in an extra workout to compensate for the extra calories if I know I will be going out to eat or if there is a craving I want to satisfy.

Keep in mind, if you are having the same craving over and over, your body may actually be lacking something. If you are craving salty snacks, try eating something like a banana which is high in potassium. If you are craving a hamburger, try eating something with plenty of iron like spinach.
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris, we ALL have cravings, and sometimes (just sometimes) its ok to give into them. But only if you can control yourself once you have had that packet of crisps or buiscuits (once you have one, can you stop at one?)
    I think you are doing fantastically well, I would be very proud to have lost the amount you have,
    Feel free to add me
    Lotte
  • lh12xx
    lh12xx Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well done so far Chris! There is so much motivation and inspiration here, and so may tips and tricks for fighting cravings.
    Best of luck :)
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    *KICKS IN BUTT* :-)

you'll get to your goals with focus and tiger like determination!!! have a GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT day!
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Welcome Chris! Congrats on your weight loss thus far! We all have weak moments. I think the key is to remember who is in control; you - not the food. Everyone can totally do this - including you. There are so many supportive people on this site. Feel free to add me. All the best to you on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Couldn't sleep so checking MFP and accidentally clicked on your post. I know where you are coming from on those salty snacks. I prefer salt to sugar any day! My diary is open but feel free to add me if you are looking for a like minded craver.
    I was actually checking the post listed above yours but when I saw "psychc" I had to go back and read it :-)
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris,
    First, congratulations on starting your journey and weight loss. I just wanted to add that while some people are able to eat in moderation to stave off cravings, many of us cannot. It has been my experience that eliminating trigger foods altogether has eliminated food cravings. There are many others like me. There are many other comments on this topic in blogs and message boards. I just wanted you to know that if you cannot moderate those cravings, you are not alone.
  • OutiR
    OutiR Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Dear Chrys,

I used to be 27 kg heavier some years ago and one of my soft points were (and still are!) salty and even more sweet snacks. There was/is no way I can eat just a little bit of chocolate bar or just take couple of potato chips - I eat the whole bar/bag in one sit and look for more!

Only thing that works for me is NOT BUYING those things to home for surprise visitors or whatever excuse I might have. Fortunately I am lazy enough not to go and get them from shop if the graving hits when I'm at home. So I have my stomach full when going to groceries, buy only healthy stuff for home and don't let my blood sugar go too down since that is the moment when it's easiest to give up for gravings. Never be hungry, always have good food easily available and that will help you too long way...

You are doing great now and the good feeling that you can get from all healthy choices, was it food or exercise, is SO much better than any snack can be that you don't want to get back to old ways when you have tasted the "new you".

Psychology behind the reasons why we overeat is also very interesting and can open some knots. For me Dr Phil's book "The Ultimate Weight Solution: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom" was a real eye opener - easy to read and relate to own issues. If you only read one book about weight, please consider that one! When you know WHY you do what you are about to do, it is much easier decide to do something else...

Good luck and enjoy the journey!!! :-)))