Salt & Pepper

Options
lh12xx
lh12xx Posts: 111 Member
I can live without salt. I tend not to cook with salt and I only add a little to food when completely necessary. But I am addicted to pepper! I put a layer of black pepper on pretty much every hot meal I eat!
The thing is, I know all about salt being bad for you - but how good/bad is pepper?

Replies

• mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Pepper is pretty good for you (or so they say... "they" may say differently next week :p) Helps with digestion and can help with heartburn and gas. I used to have lots of tummy problems and a cup of peppermint tea with pepper (yes, it does taste as gross as it sounds) worked wonders for me.

Also, you can put it on a cut to help stop the bleeding and it is said to have antibacterial properties... much better than salt in the wound ;)
  • KENNY1957
    KENNY1957 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Pepperholic here as well!!!!! I have heard and don't quote me but I was told once that Pepper can cause hardning of the Arteries....Tha':smile: s a subject should be GOOGLED tho I am curious too....If you find any info let me know!!! Thanks
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I need to use more pepper. The only time I EVER use salt or pepper is on my eggs, or I will put pepper on my Mac & Cheese (back when I ate it more often lol!).

Other than that, I don't use it!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Both pepper and salt are not that bad for you. Salt you just dont want to eat in excess because it raises your blood pressure, and combined with high cholesterol levels, could cause an aneurism
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Pepper is a strong spice. It is one of the oldest spices known. It is believed that pepper was used by the ancient Romans. Pepper is known as black, white, long, red, cayenne, Ashanti, Jamaica and melegueta. It was an important part of commerce in the Middle East. Currently pepper is a staple in kitchens all over the world for flavoring and cooking.

Digestion Aid
    By stimulating the taste buds, black pepper causes the stomach to increase hydrochloric acid secretion, which in turn improves digestion. It also is beneficial in preventing intestinal gas and eliminating unfriendly bacteria.

Help With Water Retention
    Black pepper encourages sweating and has known diuretic properties. Its outer layers rouse the destruction of fat cells, encouraging weight loss.

A Warming Spice
    Pepper is often called a warming spice in that it boosts the effects of other healthy herbs throughout the body. It augments circulation and transports oxygen to the brain. It is said to keep the respiratory system in check and may even help the body's joints.

A Healing Spice
    Pepper has been documented as a healing spice as far back as the fifth century. It has been used as a salve to treat eye problems, for insomnia, liver ailments, lung and heart disease, sunburns, bug bites and toothaches.

Arthritis Relief
    Cayenne pepper is known as both a traditional and modern preparation in treating arthritis pain. It is said to be effective when rubbed into the skin.

Fun Fact
    Pepper is frequently used in commercial kitchens and by chefs to stop bleeding from minor cuts.

taken from: http://www.ehow.com/facts_4970167_is-pepper-healthy.html
  • lh12xx
    lh12xx Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear its good for you as I've just lavished it upon my lunch!!!
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    I am also a big pepper fan, but I've all but hidden/thrown out my salt shaker. Seldom use it anymore.

I recently discovered Mrs. Dash...WOW! If you haven't tried it on your food, give it a whirl! It comes in a bunch of varieties, so there's sure to be something there for everyone. I use the "Original" for general purpose spicing, wherever I may typically use pepper. The original is still pepper-based, but adds a number of other herbs and spices and really accentuates your meals without it overpowering them. I also use "Onion and Herb", which is similar to the original but adds a zesty onion flavor to foods. And "Italian Blend" has traditional Italian-style herbs (oregano, parsley, basil, rosemary, etc.) and is great for pastas and soups.

The bonus is, they're all Zero calories (I still log it in my diary, but you don't have to.) Give 'em a try! :)