New Runner!!! Always in Pain!

Options
Okay I am not exactly new to running, but we have a love/hate relationship.

I Love the feeling while running and how lean I feel In the morning (If I don't stuff my face after) lol.

I hate how in 30 minutes I can burn double the amount of calories on the elliptical. I mean are we supposed to be aiming for the highest burn possible?

Also the day after I can barely walk. My shins are always on fire for days after. Any idea on what I could do to increase my stamina?

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for running shoes??
  • wixy15
    wixy15 Posts: 19
    Options
    running shoes definatley help a lot, i had the same problems a couple of months ago but have stuck with it, running 4 times and it does get easier, i promise you. i now have no problems with my shins or ankles, am now working on my calfs as their the weak link now.
  • Pickedlast4gym
    Options
    Before i even opened you post i knew what the problem was.....it is your running shoes!!!! Go to a running store and get fit and have them watch you run in the shoes....once you find the perfect pair....you shoukd replace them every 3 months. You maynalso need an orthotic...an insert into your shoe to balance things out. I highly reccoment the A-Line brand. Do not, repeat not go to walmart and get on the machine for dr. Shoals....bad, bad, idea.

The treadmill....inorder to run safely inside, you must have at least .5 incline on the thing,

Yiu may also be starting too fast, especially if you have a lot to lose......i would go slower, and alternate between walking and running.

Good luck!
  • ceyuh
    ceyuh Posts: 34
    Options
    Once upon a time I was a 40-45 mile a week runner. Now, after several years off I have severe heel pain shortly after, and then the morning after, a run. Nothing has worked to eliminate it.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    1st... Go to a running store and have them watch you walk.

2nd Get fitted by a professional! If you are a neutral (like I am) then you will LOVE the Brooks Ghost 4's. They made editors shoe of the year last year in Runners World and many Marathon runners swear by them. I have 3 pair :)

If you supinate or pronate they make shoes to compensate for that.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    A Running Store? I never knew those existed. Need to find one in the NYC Area!
  • Pickedlast4gym
    Options
    The nyc marAthon is coming.....if you go to the expo, bet you could get a deal....i will ask my nyc pals who they use
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Look for a Fleet Feet or other specialty running store in your area and get fitted for shoes!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Get fitted for running shoes. That will help a lot. I did that and it did help but I still get terrible shin splints, and it's just something I have to live with. Stretch well.