Need help to lose dreaded saddle bags

Options
I'm in the process of losing lots of weight, and have lost 60 pounds so far. My problem area is hips, thighs, and SADDLE BAGS. Even before gaining weight this was a problem. ANY exercise to help this would be great. I do lots of squats, eliptical, and uphill walking on treadmill, but seems saddle bags are becoming more profound :(....

Replies

• rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Female, middle age, significant weight loss = cosmetic surgery... You probably already knew this, I am confirming the answer for you
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I know targeting areas seems all the rage for today's exercises, but I think our bodies choose the areas to lose from and go in the sequence it plans. As much as our eyes focus on one area, I think going after the big picture (pun intended) is less frustrating. In the end (second pun intended), it'll all balances out body-wide. I could be wrong, just my experience.
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Those are my problem areas too. I noticed that running definately started to help slim down those areas, but then I plateaued. However, I am definately smaller in those areas than when I started.
  • Smile2400
    Smile2400 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Haven't decided 100% on sucking out the saddle bags, LOL but it has entered my mind......wishful thinking for them to just GO AWAY...
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    One of my workouts I used to do had an exercise call the "saddlebag stripper". It was basically laying on your side and doing leg lifts, making sure that you're working the hip muscle throughout the lift.

Good luck! :)
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think us women lose weight from the top down. So the only thing to do is stick with it!

Also, maybe try Jillian Michael's Killer Buns and thighs! Speaking from experience, she gives good results on her other dvds! I've heard great things about the Butt Bible dvd too.

Good luck with it :)
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    STAIR CLIMBING!!!!! I am in the same position as you! I have horrible saddle bags and noticed that once I started walking up (and down) the stairs at work 2-3 times a day (about 4-5 floors each time) they started going away!! I couldn't believe it!!!

Good luck to you!
  • gilltaitt
    Options
    In the last 4 weeks I have taken up Spin and I swear, my saddlebags seem to have disappeared! I also run for 30 mins at least 3 times a week and this has definitely improved the shape of my legs!

As said above, we can't really decide where we're going to lose the weight from though. It will drop off from where it likes and all we can do is hope that in the end it's come off evenly!

Good luck :)
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Female, middle age, significant weight loss = cosmetic surgery... You probably already knew this, I am confirming the answer for you
    :noway:
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have the dreaded saggy stomach and no saddle bags, but I'm quite convinced that I would have this stomach (in some form) even if I were 120 lbs or completely emaciated. We can't spot lose.. it comes from all over.

Topical creams are a bunch of baloney. Drinking vinegar only makes you make a sour face. Toning or surgery are pretty much the options.

I have a dear friend (male) who had lipo on his stomach because he wanted to see abs and no matter how hard he aerobicized, the abs were absent. Well he got his abs, along with the lipo scars because nobody told him that there had to be scars to get the fat out :laugh:
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, BUT I am noticing the saddle bags are decreasing now that I've lost most of the other weight. The weight you put on first is the last weight you'll take off. Unfortunately, for us that means the fat on our thighs and butt.

On another note, I don't think spot training works, but I'm no expert. My preferred exercise is jogging which is pretty much a straight cardio workout. I've read in a few places that pear shapes benefit most from interval training so I aim to start that as soon as I can jog 5km with relative ease.

I've also read in a few places that daily massage can help reduce the appearance of cellulite and *may* help break up fat (assuming you are also exercising). I don't know if there's any truth behind it, but it's worth a shot!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have saddlebags too but they have become significantly smaller since starting pilates. I am sure any sort of strength training would do the same thing. My weight hasn't changed much but since starting pilates I have lost a few inches off of my thighs and hips. Unfortunately that seems to be the most stubborn area on my body!
  • PokenStick
    Options
    All the evidence above is anecdotal, certain exercises will not target certain areas to lose fat from. Spot reduction is not possible. Your body will pick what areas it loses from no matter how much you work it out. Sometimes the only cure for certain areas is having an very low body fat percentage, so it's possible that you will never lose them.
  • JuliaMarie_87
    Options

:angry: No, its not the only answer.

Cosmetic surgery should be last resort.

OP- I recently started doing the Butt Bible. You can Google it or just search for it on Amazon. Granted I don't have a huge issue with saddle bags, but the workout works the heck out of your entire hip/ butt area and thighs. You could also try Jillian Michaels killer buns and thighs. You will still need to put in plenty of cardio to keep burning calories and fat.

Good luck!
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    hate hate hate saddlebags!! They are sooo friggin stubborn to get rid of, and I can't remember a moment in my life where I haven't struggled with them *grrr* really makes me look disproportioned :P

so from what i am reading? eat clean and lots of cardio? guess that makes sense since the saddle bags are literally bags/pads of fat eh? :P

I shall be patientttttt :)
  • BeautyIsABeast
    BeautyIsABeast Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    my advice: lift heavy. Most of cardio will help but saddlebags need toning to get rid of. Jogging works our large muscles a lot in the legs so thats good but weighted exercises are even better (squats, lunges, stair climbs). I am a pear shaped woman.Most of my fat is down below...and saddle bags are an issue. It will come off. Just keep working hard and dont worry about it. toning is the slowest process so be patient
  • annettanicole
    Options
    I'll have to try this!