The 17 day diet ????

is anyone familiar with this diet? I normally believe true healthy weight loss comes from hard work but I have had several friends swear by it. Any thoughts ?

Replies

• It took more than 17 days to put the weight on.....
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Any fad diet is pretty worthless. Why? Because typically it is a short term solution and not sustainable long-term. What that means that like any fad diet (think: Special K diet) after you are off of it the weight does not stay off for good. Often it comes back on quickly (went off quickly too) and this can be harmful to your body if you keep yo-yo dieting like this.
  • urastupidchimp
    urastupidchimp Posts: 80 Member
    I've looked into it. It basically teaches you to eat more lean protein and veggies and not rely so much on processed food and carbs, although you are allowed to eat "clean" carbs by the end of the diet.

I don't think it is a "fad diet" so much as a training tool to help you eat better long-term. The program is actually 51 days I think (3 cycles of 17 days).
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 741 Member
    I hate the word "DIET". It assumes a period in time, not a lifestyle change. If people ask me "Are you on a diet?", I respond with "No, I've changed my diet by making a life decision to eat healthier.

So when I hear "17 day diet", It is just that. A quick fix for a short term weight loss. I wish we could ban the phrase "on a diet".
  • sometimes a "jump-start" is exactly what you need to get motivated! if tyou continue on with healthy balanced diet and exercise it can work wonders. Now I know someone is going to say "well why not just start with the healthy balanced diet and exercise right off the bat" well yes of course that's a great idea but sometimes mentally starting out with so much hard work to sit and lose like .04 lbs is just depressing - sometimes a jump start just FEELS good. It works for me! Most people surveyed who have lost weight and KEPT it off have said that how they maintain their weight loss is much different then how they lost it. I also argue with the whole "you didn't put it on overnight". Well, no, not literally - however I gained 100 lbs in 7 months. If I lost 2 lbs per week as the most recommended for 7 months I'd only lose 56 lbs so it's not like it should take you the exact same to lose as it does to gain - you DO gain faster then you lose normally! At least i do! It's a whole lot easier putting it on then taking it off!

I don't know the 17 day diet specifically - I do know that to really get into weight loss mode I had to use a jump start - I still do once a month or so just to refocus - I get crap about it from others but you know what, I've lost 28 lbs, I'm no longer considered diabetic and I can run around the yard with my kids now without feeling like I'm going to die. I'll take it...
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Well, it isn't JUST about losing the weight. It is even more about doing it in such a way as to be able to keep it off when you have hit your goal. I am not familiar with the 17 day diet, but anything that restricts your calorie intake excessively, or is not something you can phase off of, I would steer clear of.
  • I agree with everyone that posted. I think the benefits of this " diet" is the kickoff point to eating healthier, less carby food for me. Carbs are always my weakness. Thanks guys for your imput :)
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    I started the 17 Day Diet on June 23. I've lost a total of 20 lbs and 13 inches, and I've never felt better.

I'm an RN, and I'm 51 years old. I've been overweight all my life. As a nurse, of course I know and understand the need for a certain type of eating to be fit and healthy. However, sometimes "knowing" what to do does NOT give you the tools to get it done.

Until you read the book, I would respectfully request that people not call it a "fad" or a "quick fix". The program was actually originally intended for those that are not always overweight, and they just wanted a structured plan to lose weight gained over the holidays, so it doesn't snowball into a bigger weight gain. The author then ended up expanding it to be more of a lifestyle change for those of us with "serious" weight to lose. (I've got 60 lbs to get off me... well, only 40 now, tee hee!)

It's unfortunate that people fight the word "diet". When those around me have challenged why I'm eating the way I am, I proudly say that I'm "ON A DIET"... or I'm "doing" the 17 Day Diet - I don't have to go into any long explanations about trying to lose weight, trying to eat clean, whatever... it's a quick and simple response.

People say "well, the bad thing about diets is, once you 'go off' the diet, your weight comes right back!".... well DUH! That's why I'm looking at this as a "lifetime Diet", it IS how I want to live the rest of my life! I never want to be "off" this Diet, I love it and plan to live it forever!

A quick synopsis - it's not a Diet that is OVER in 17 days. There are 4 cycles... the first 3 cycles are 17 Days EACH. So when you are on the "more restrictive" Cycle 1, and you are struggling, HEY... it's ONLY for 17 days! Then you hit Cycle 2 - adding some healthy carbs back in slowly. Again, just 17 days of this, then Cycle 3 with more liberal use of carbs, but you'll find what you are doing is EATING CLEAN. That "thing" we all WANT to do, but just don't know how to get there. THIS DIET GOT ME THERE - WOOT WOOT!

You then go back to Cycle 1 and start again, repeating the Cycles until you make it to your goal weight. The purpose of the Cycles is to prevent the dreaded "plateau", and I'm telling you, it sure seems to be working for me!

AT ANY TIME during this Diet, when you hit your Goal Weight, you go on to Cycle 4 - Maintenance. Mostly eating clean, healthy meals, with some "free" meals allowed in limited numbers - enough to let you live your life and still be fit and healthy.

AT ANY TIME you find you've gained some weight back, you can START BACK AT CYCLE 1 to get that weight off before you regain everything.

I'm currently on Round 2, Cycle 1, Day 11. I actually was looking forward to being back on Cycle 1 - it's the most restrictive cycle, but that's EASIER for me... it seems that the more freedoms I have, the poorer choices I make!

Anyway, as with all diets, this one is not for everyone. But I'm so thankful I found it, the book is a terrific read, it all makes perfect sense, and the author is quite funny while also being very direct, pulling no punches. Here are a couple of lines from the book, in the beginning when he is introducing the diet...

"But you do have to accept that this won't be a pleasure diet. You've got to stop eating unhealthy crap. You've got to eat vegetables, fruit, lean meat."

"You won't be faint with hunger or found in the kitchen at midnight, feeding on Froot Loops and tubes of cookie dough. You can do this, because anyone can do anything for 17 days."

"The 17 Day Diet is doable and easy - unlike so many other diets, which are slightly less complicated than the checklist for a shuttle launch."

The book is also loaded with research and study results that support his way of losing weight and keeping it off.

OK, I'm off my 17 Day Diet soapbox. I swear I make no money off the diet, I'm not attached to it in any way, I'm just grateful I found it and I hope you get a chance to read the book - you might find it's what you've been looking for to get you started on a healthy lifestyle.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • I am glad you found something that worked! It seems like the author has a great sense of humour.

BTW, I am a nurse too so I understand what it's like to bring something healthy to work (why are we not healthier in our business- oh yeah, "NO TIME!" to make it, "NO TIME" to eat it) and tempted by the "quick-fix" chocolates in the coffee room because it's been one of those days and I just want to reward myself for everything I've been doing for everyone else and this chocolate is the only thing I am gonna get to eat today....And the amount of sugar I put in my stale coffee at 3am (stale because I've been trying to drink it for the past 2 hours but keep getting called away and I've had to nuke it for the 10th time) ...Add to that the crazy shift-induced sleep cycle stressing our bodies out...no wonder we pack on pounds!
    It is strange tho, I would have thought people in the health industry would be healthier but it seems that my food gets scrutinized, perhaps out of guilt by others who feel they should be healthier because they know better.

Anyways, good luck on your journey!