food to bring to work?

Options
Hey all,

so I am trying really hard to find good food that I can take to work, with minimal preparation as my biggest problem seems to be that I work in fast food and can get it free whenever I want.
I do 5 hour shifts, which means that I only get a 10/15 minute break to eat lunch... so anything that I could prepare the night before would be good- with the right nutrients in them?
I am trying to not eat processed foods much and as I am a slow eater I do not have time to heat it up in the microwave.
I am also allergic to seafood so tuna etc is out.
HELP?!

Replies

• debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    I take a salad to work. Every Sunday I make up a huge tub of it and every morning I spoon some into a smaller tub adding some tuna or salmon and anchovies.
    I don't have access to a microwave at work and don't have time in the evenings or morning to do anything special. This works fine for me
    x
  • NWLARealtor57
    NWLARealtor57 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I take my EAS carb control protein shakes to work they fill me up in between my meals!
  • healthy4self
    Options
    Cedarlane's organic low fat vegan burrito or their chicken fajita burrito. They save me during my long days at school
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    Good Morning (depending on where you are)! Fall is here which means it's a great time for soups, stews, chili, etc. You can prepare a pot of something to take a few days and switch up what you bring to go with it (raw veggies, salads, sandwich on whole wheat, etc.) - skinnytaste.com has some great easy recipes.
  • rhonda999
    rhonda999 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i wrap sandwich turkey or chicken breast inside Romain lettuce, add pepper to spice up the lettuce or smather some mustard on it. Take some baby carrots to eat with it. Filling, good for you...
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If I worked 5 hour shifts I would make sure that I eat before going to work no matter the time. I would work my schedule so that I have enough time to eat before going in... That being said, during the 10/15 minute break I would consider that a snack time. Banana, apple, already sectioned orange, Greek yogurt with fruit, protein drink... something to keep up my stamina but not be too time consuming.

I work 8 hours on second shift so I end up having lunch at 12:30 or 1:00pm and dinner (at work) sometime between 6 and 7pm - so I have to cart snacks between lunch and dinner and after dinner as well. Many of the snacks I take are exactly what I described above. I core an apple and cut it into wedges so I don't have to do that during my break. I peel and section an orange and put it in a baggie to take. I buy Greek yogurt in larger containers and pulse frozen fruit to put with it and separate it into "serving size" containers so I can just take it to work with me.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I only do small house shifts in work too, and i only get a 10 minute break too - for my lunch i bring with me a homemade salad box. which will consit of lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, spring onions, grated carrots, bit of tuna or ham or sometimes i slice an egg in there.

If i dont fancy a salad, i take in 40g of fruit and fibre cereal and 100ml of milk and some fruit, and that will be my lunch :)

Not sure what kind of food your into, but i hoped i helped. i struggle for my lunch during work aswell sometimes. soo other peoples ideas would be a big help asweell :smile:
  • everydaypam
    everydaypam Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wraps with lots of veggies and lean meat are a great choice with minimal prep and no reheating. Also try subbing the meat for hummus some days, it's a great compliment to a veggie wrap.
  • stew774
    stew774 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt, fruit, a little honey, and flax. I'll also pack carrots and hummus in case I'm having a hungry day at lunch.
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I take my EAS carb control protein shakes to work they fill me up in between my meals!

I do the same those are great, and sometimes an apple or those ~3oz bags of pretzels
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Good Morning (depending on where you are)! Fall is here which means it's a great time for soups, stews, chili, etc. You can prepare a pot of something to take a few days and switch up what you bring to go with it (raw veggies, salads, sandwich on whole wheat, etc.) - skinnytaste.com has some great easy recipes.

lol I live in australia, it's spring here!
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

so I am trying really hard to find good food that I can take to work, with minimal preparation as my biggest problem seems to be that I work in fast food and can get it free whenever I want.
    I do 5 hour shifts, which means that I only get a 10/15 minute break to eat lunch... so anything that I could prepare the night before would be good- with the right nutrients in them?
    I am trying to not eat processed foods much and as I am a slow eater I do not have time to heat it up in the microwave.
    I am also allergic to seafood so tuna etc is out.
    HELP?!

I like bringing those thin multigrain orowheat buns (I think that's the brand -- there are a few) and making a sandwich putting some sandwich meat, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, sprouts, etc. in them with a dash of salt & pepper. They are very filling and tasty.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I make to much of what ever I make for dinner the previous night and take that for my lunch most days it works v well, I justhave a slightly smaller portion of whatever it is for instance today I had quorn spag bol, just cold, it saves a fortune too.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking of getting a protein shake mix but not sure exactly which is best and as they all seem to be so expensive don't wanna waste my money on a bad one... what would you recommend?
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast sandwich with tomato and lettuce. Cook the chicken in bulk and store, so whenever you need it you can just grab it from the refrigerator and prepare your sandwich, only takes 3 minutes and you can pack it in a small ziploc bag and take it with you.
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I boil a dozen eggs on sunday night- i grab two every morning and bring them to work with me for breakfast- its a life saver- bc my alternative is to eat a bagel or some other fast thing to grab- but they are a whole lot cheaper on the calorie side- and provide alot more on the nutrition side...
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I always take salad low fat rye crackers. Fruit and yogart. I also make a huge batch of soup all my fave veggies my fave is tomato, 4 red peppers I dry roast them in oven add 4 cans of plum tomatos and juice wostershire sauce large onion and 4 sticks celery and half a pint of veg stock. and a chilli add the roasted veg bring to the boil and and once veg is soft blitz with my hand blender. loads of black pepper and this does me for week. Take it in a flask then its hot and ready to eat. I eat soup sun rain or shine lol.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I take fresh fruit to work (plums and nectarines have been in season lately) on a pita pocket or flat bread with sliced deli turkey wrapped in it. Radishes go well with it and don't have to be cut up, only washed.....mini rice cakes are good low cal.......a flat bread with some laughing cow cheese on it is good, too. I also make a big skillet of brown rice with onions, peppers and mushrooms on Sunday and divide it into bowls. I can just grab one for work any time.......I know you said you don't have time to microwave, so that might not work, or maybe it could be heating while you eat your fruit......brown rice with crackers and a turkey wrap keep me full till after work.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I bring minestrone soup or frozen veggies with soy sauce. =]
    Cedarlane's organic low fat vegan burrito or their chicken fajita burrito. They save me during my long days at school

WOW that sounds good I need to find this. The only vegan food around here is Amy's
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I always boil eggs the night before for breakfast, plus I have oatmeal. For snacks, something like fruit and veggies (easy to package in Ziplocs). Lunch I do a packet of tuna, either with bread (also in a Ziploc) or on a bed of rice (prepared the night before) or chicken (prepared the night before) and a microwavable sweet potatoe. I always prep my food the night before and heat what needs to be heated. I hope that helps!