Cracker Barrel (did I spell that right? lol)

Options
Ok guys, I am going to Cracker Barrel tonight with my girl friends. I REALLY don't want to go at a time when I am really struggling to make good choices foodwise but these are friends I've knows since elementary and every time it's one of our birthdays, we take eachother out to dinner and she chose Cracker Barrel. SO, I have no idea what kinds of foods they serve honestly so can you help me!??? I already plan on cutting my meal in half right off the bat. But what is a HEALTHY choice there??
Thank you!!

Replies

• rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Did you check their web site. Most chain restaurants have nutritional data for all the menu items. Then you can know ahead of time what to order.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Veggie plates are the way to go there. And pass up the bread and desserts. Everything they have is pretty fattening but that is just my opinion. I haven't eaten there in a long long time.
  • chef970
    chef970 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You can go to their web site and check out their nutritional values so you can make healthy choices:-)
  • silver02bullet
    silver02bullet Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    They serve all day breakfast and offer turkey bacon as a choice. I usually just get a couple of eggs and that with a side of toast. Stay away from the biscuits! lol
  • briehill
    Options
    You can do some research ahead of time to get an idea of what might be okay to order.

http://www.shapefit.com/restaurants/cracker-barrel-calories.html looked like it had some good info. I just googled cracker barrel nutrition.
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    Their website (under FAQ) has some healthier items listed, but no specific nutritional info. They refer you to weightwatchers.com or healthydiningfinder.com for info on some specific dishes. I would avoid the breads and tried to stay away from the fried stuff. Just eat as healthy as you can - maybe not have as many calories for lunch today to save more for later.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Cracker barrel, last time I checked, doesn't post nutritional information. :cry:

However, they do serve fish, which is a good choice, and a wider variety of vegetables than a lot of places. You can get a 3- or 4-vegetable plate. They also have soups; you can get a bowl of soup, or a soup-and-sandwich combo.They also have breakfast all day long, so you can plan a breakfast that's lo-cal and order that (two eggs and toast; an omelet with vegetables; etc.)

When I go to Cracker Barrel I get the chicken salad sandwich on grilled sourdough bread, with a side of mashed potatoes and sawmill gravy. I know that doesn't sound like the world's healthiest choice, but it never shows up on my scale afterward, so I figure it must not be too bad.

I hope you're able to enjoy your meal with friends and not stress too much about the food!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Cracker Barrel is actually one of the few restaurant chains that doesn't list their nutritional data on their website. :-(

I'd go for the grilled chicken tenderloins, a side salad and a baked potato. I worked there when I was in college, and that was always my healthy meal option.

The grilled chicken salad and beef stew aren't terrible choices either.
  • jodiekm
    jodiekm Posts: 12
    Options
    I went there Saturday night with my family. I had eggbeater eggs, 2 pieces of wheat toast with Promise margarine (they will provide it upon request), and grits. It was actually pretty good and filling.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    http://www.crackerbarrel.com/restaurant/lunch-and-dinner-menu/

This is the main menu

http://www.crackerbarrel.com/restaurant/lunch-and-dinner-menu/salad-n-such/

Here is the section you will probably want to stay close too. Get the dressing on the side and dab your fork before each bite. Gives you the flavors and cuts the amount of dressing you use in half (if not more...I hardly even get through a tablespoon anymore).

The problem with Cracker Barrel is that they put BUTTER IN EVERYTHING, but its what you expect out of "typical" Southern Style Cooking...
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I had planned on checking their website but I wondered if anyone had personal experience and recommendations. I will check it out for sure though. :)
  • hulietta
    hulietta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Go to myfitnesspal > Food > Database
    Then type in Cracker Barrel in the search box.

I'd probably go for Grilled Chicken Tenders and some green beans. Check it out.
  • CrimsonHellkite
    Options
    i always get the eggs n meat, i only go there for breakfast but they serve bfast all day too, dunno if your into this kinda food but its what i get and its as healthy as u can get at cracker barrel lol, you can also get egg substitute or turkey bacon if u want also there

Eggs* n’ Meat

Three Eggs cooked to order
    and served with your choice of
    Bacon or Sausage,
    and sliced tomatoes.
  • trdy77
    trdy77 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I FOUND THIS AFTER A QUICK WEB SEARCH..HOPE IT HELPS

SODIUM SAVVY: BREAKFAST: OATMEAL WITH BANANA TOPPING
    *Remember to request no added salt.
    Calories Fat Sat Fat Cholest Sodium Carbs Sugars Fiber Protein Fruit/Veg
    280 4.5 g 1 g 0 mg 180* mg 31 g 1 g 4 g 6 g N/A

SODIUM SAVVY: COUNTRY DINNER PLATE: CATFISH (SPICY GRILLED)
    Analysis for catfish only. See separate analyses for recommended vegetables below. Sodium Savvy Tip: Pair with Tossed Salad or Carrots to complete your Sodium Savvy meal. *Remember to request no added salt.
    120 5 g 1.5 g 45 mg 300* mg 1 g 0 g 0 g 17 g N/A

SODIUM SAVVY: COUNTRY DINNER PLATE: CHICKEN TENDERLOINS (GRILLED)
    Analysis for four chicken tenders only. See separate analyses for recommended vegetables below. Sodium Savvy Tip: Pair with Tossed Salad to complete your Sodium Savvy meal. *Remember to request no added salt.
    170 4.5 g 1 g 70 mg 640 mg 5 g 5 g 1 g 27 g N/A

SODIUM SAVVY: SALADS N’ SUCH: TOSSED SALAD
    A fresh choice with lettuce, tomato and onions. Choice of dressing not included in analysis (fat-free dressing available). *Remember to request no added salt.
    20 0 g 0 g 0 mg 10* mg 5 g 3 g 2 g 1 g N/A

SODIUM SAVVY: VEGETABLES N’ SIDES: CARROTS
    80 1 g 0 g 15 mg 135 mg 18 g 10 g 3 g 1 g N/A

SOUPS: BEEF STEW (CUP)
    120 4.5 g 1.5 g 20 mg 340 mg 11 g 2 g 6 g 9 g N/A

SOUPS: CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP (CUP)
    90 1 g 0 g 35 mg 650 mg 14 g 4 g 1 g 6 g N/A

SOUPS: POTATO SOUP (CUP)
    100 2 g 0.5 g 0 mg 560 mg 18 g 3 g 2 g 0 g N/A

SOUPS: VEGETABLE SOUP (CUP)
    70 0 g 0 g 0 mg 640 mg 14 g 3 g 2 g 3 g N/A

COUNTRY DINNER PLATE: CHICKEN N’ DUMPLINS
    Analysis for chicken n' dumplins only. See separate analyses for recommended vegetables below.
    270 6 g 1.5 g 55 mg 1520 mg 29 g 0 g 3 g 27 g N/A

VEGETABLES N’ SIDES: GREEN BEANS
    60 2.5 g 1 g 10 mg 310 mg 7 g 1 g 3 g 1 g N/A

VEGETABLES N’ SIDES:

PINTO BEANS
    140 2 g 0.5 g 15 mg 260 mg 21 g 1 g 7 g 10 g N/A

VEGETABLES N’ SIDES: TURNIP GREENS
    100 3.5 g 1.5 g 15 mg 370 mg 6 g 1 g 4 g 10 g N/A
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! Breakfast and turkey bacon sound good! I will request not to have anything cooked in butter. And I will definitely ask for my salad dressing on the side! Water only!

I feel really stupid being all picky when I go with these girls because they think I'm ridiculous with my diet stuff and make me feel dumb ya know. Oh well.
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    Trdy77 WOW thanks SO much for finding that for me!! :) You rock!
  • trdy77
    trdy77 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You're quite welcome :)
    I've only been to a cracker barrel once and wasn't overly impressed. But my husband is a chef so I guess I'm spoiled.
  • csmbsailor
    csmbsailor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to have that mindset, but you are taking care of you! It took me a long time to get over that in my own head.

Good luck, and happy eating
    I feel really stupid being all picky when I go with these girls because they think I'm ridiculous with my diet stuff and make me feel dumb ya know. Oh well.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Check out their website
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    this is on their website:

Here at Cracker Barrel, we pride ourselves on using recipes and ingredients that are genuine and of the highest quality available. We strive to prepare and present these food items to you in a way that upholds those authentic traditions of days gone by.

Cracker Barrel certainly understands the health-conscious concerns that some of our guests have. While we are currently unable to provide exact calorie or fat content information for our entire menu, the following choices may help you in your selection. You can get very specific nutritional information on some select dishes at both weightwatchers.com and healthydiningfinder.com

Turkey sausage is offered as an alternative to regular sausage.

Entree salads are available on the menu.

Grilled chicken and grilled fish are available as meat selections.

Fresh seasonal fruit and yogurt parfaits and muffins are available.

Promise Spread® is available as an alternative to butter.

Egg Beaters® are available on the breakfast menu and can be substituted on any breakfast at no additional charge.

Oatmeal is available on the menu.

Apple bran muffins are available as a bread choice.

Decaffeinated hot tea and coffee are available as additional beverages.

Fresh bananas and raisins are available.

Low fat milk and skim milk are available.

Our orange juice, apple juice, grapefruit juice, and apple cider are all pure, with no additives or added sugars.

Special K®, Wheaties®, and Cheerios® are included in our dry cereal offering.

Fat free thousand island, fat free ranch, fat free honey mustard, and fat free Italian dressings are available.

Sweet & Low®, Splenda® and Equal® are available on each table.

Low sugar fruit spread is available.

No Salt is available upon request.

Sugar free syrup is available.

Diet root beer, Diet Coke®, Diet Orange Cream Soda, Bottled Water, Unsweetened Iced Tea and Hot Teas are available as beverage choices.

Boiled chicken tenders are not printed on the menu, but are available upon request.

No sugar added apple pie and no sugar added vanilla ice cream are available.

We use 100% cholesterol free soybean oil for frying.

We do not add MSG to our products, and we ask that our vendors not use MSG in the preparation of our foods, however, it should be noted that MSG is naturally occurring in some foods.

All restaurant products are trans-fat free.