Diet Soda

Options
I know most diet soda does not have any calories and all that, but is it healthy to drink? I have been drinking ONLY water for almost two weeks now and I am started to crave other things badly! I have been counting my calories so with zero calories it would be great, but will I pay for it if i start drinking diet soda or will it not effect my diet and weight-loss? I gave in and had a coke zero at work last night and it actually made me so full that I couldn't finish the snack I was eating so it might be nice when I have a late night craving just to give me that "full" feeling. Thoughts?

Replies

• JuliaMarie_87
    Options
    I drink Sprite Zero. I wouldn't go crazy on the diet soda if I were you. 1 a day if that. The effects on the body of the artificial sweetener, in most sodas, is unknown. So definitely keep drinking water the majority of the time.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Eh, there are folks who say the sweeteners in diet pop are bad for you, either cancerous or making you still want something sweet because you're being tricked. I'm a recovering Diet Coke addict. I bought a small pack of 7oz cans of "high test" Coke to try.., "only" 90 calories. It took me 3 hours to drink it, and I didn't even finish it. So maybe that's a good thing??
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Yet people have been drinking diet sodas will no ill effects for years.

You'll get a lot of negativity on this subject, but it's different for each person. On the whole it's fine however. But take everything you see in thread with a pinch of salt.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I can assure you that there is nothing healthy about the science experiment known as diet soda. saying that, you will read conflicting information/responses as to whether diet soda impedes weight loss. recent studies suggest that diet soda does impede weight loss for various physiological reasons that are better left to the actual report to understand.

congrats on sticking to water for 2 weeks. try to stick with water. for the last 5 months, there have been fewer than 10 occasions where I have had something other than water or sobe lifewater. true lemon is something you could add to your water to add some flavor.
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    I think it's all up to choice. There are scientific thoughts behind either side - yay or nay. I believe you should do what you feel - all things in moderation. Coke Zero is an absolute fav or my husband and me. It's tasty. I still try to make water my main thing, but I enjoy coffee, Coke Zero, and Crystal Light.

I hope you come to a conclusion you're comfortable with.

*smiles*

Jean
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    But take everything you see in thread with a pinch of salt.
    but track your sodium. :wink:
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I love my Diet Pepsi!
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you're interested in trying to kick the diet soda, do your best to push through this craving period. I used to crave soda back when I drank it. Now I only drink water and when I'm thirsty? Water is the only thing that'll do. Like others have said, I don't think diet soda is the worst thing you could do to your body, but if it's something you want to give up, work for it!
  • Andiarena
    Options
    I would just say, if you aren't on it, then stay away from it. It doesn't sound like you are a diet coke or coke zero addict so I wouldn't start if i were you. I am committing this week to cut back on it and drink more water. Add lemons or limes to your water for a change. Try perrier w/ime.....
  • amarieh
    amarieh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a true d. pepsi aholic or was...I started drinking ZEVIA. It's sweetened with Stevia instead of aspartame. You can get it at most health food stores. They have all different flavors. At least with the zevia you can get the "feeling" of drinking a diet soda without the aspartame.
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda and use it to stave off hunger pangs if I get them in between meals. It is effective for me and doesn't seem to have impeded my weight loss. Most days I'll have 2 or 3; other days none. As far as whether the artificial sweetener is bad for you I haven't seen any conclusive studies, and I believe the benefits of lower weight counter any ill effects the sweeteners have. Most studies haven't been corrected for the fact that people who are drinking diet soda aren't as healthy to begin with; ie being very overweight which in itself causes health problems.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Yet people have been drinking diet sodas will no ill effects for years.

You'll get a lot of negativity on this subject, but it's different for each person. On the whole it's fine however. But take everything you see in thread with a pinch of salt.

I know some folks want to dis the "negativity on this subject", but really, do any of us really know the long term impact of various artificial sweeteners? Wikipedia reports that asparthame (the most common artificial sweetener used in diet sodas today) was first approved for soft drinks in 1983, and in 1993 for other foods. Some of you may believe that 28 years in use is long enough to understand a product's long term impact on the human body. I'm going to suggest that this is still a relatively new product for which there hasn't been enough time to determine long term impact on the human body.

I'm not a scientist and I'm not going to state that artificial sweeteners will or will not increase the risk of cancer and other diseases, but I am curious to learn one day whether there is a higher rate of cancer and other disease in the next 20+ years as a result of the increase in artificial products that people are ingesting.

for me, I know how much better I feel since I kicked diet soda to the curb. I can feel legitiimately better since drinking primarily water. I have no reason to put the long term impact of artificial sweeteners to the test. I will let some of you be the guinea pigs.
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    how does the Zevia compare in taste to diet coke or pepsi?
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I love my Diet Pepsi!

me too! and diet dr. pepper. i don't drink too many though, maybe on every few days, but from what i've read, you'd have to pretty much be drinking artificial sweeteners all day everyday in order to suffer the effects brought on. moderation is key as with everything else
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting article on the subject. Give it a read if you have some time.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/28/can-diet-coke-make-you-fat/