Sweets and snacks- unable to control

Options
I seem to eat well with the portion sizes for lunch, dinner, have one fruit a day, have a good breakfast

When it comes the evening times, I get snack rush and I cannot stop myself from snacking. However hard I try I seem to fail.

And post lunch and dinner, my urge to eat sweets is also another one hard to control.

Dont know how to deal with this, please help

Replies

• vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me. Since I know this is going to happen, I make sure I have the calories and just have my snacks.
  • silvil17
    Options
    What times are you eating your meals?

Try spacing the times so you're not so hungry

Breakfast - within the first hour you wake up

Snack - 2 hours after breakfast

Lunch - 3 hours after a.m. snack

Snack - 2-3 hours after Lunch

Dinner - 3-4 hours after your p.m. snack
  • Alexa1471
    Options
    I'm the same. I find it so difficult to resist the biscuits and sweets that are in the office. I find it a bit easier at home because I just don't buy the junk food.

I never miss out on the junk in the office though and I swear that this isn't helping at all... So I'm just trying to get out the habit of having my lunch and then having a biscuit....

Would be useful to see other peoples tips though
  • NPJulesF
    NPJulesF Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    as soon as you are done eating - brush your teeth - it really helps...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Often brushing your teeth can help with this. I know it sounds too simple to be true, but it works for many people.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    If you have to eat sweets then find as dark a chocolate as you can handle. It is a sweet but better for you. Someone else posted to brush your teeth and it does make a big difference.
  • tsbrown09
    Options
    You could snack on fruit, sugar free 60 cal jello (or something of that nature), Blue Diamond has awesome Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Almonds or Butter Toffee Almonds, Greek yogurt with fruit and splenda is a sweet treat, or make a parfait with light yogurt, fruit, and granola. That's just a few things that I enjoy for sweet treats.
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Try and keep yourself busy in the evenings. I know it's the time most people wanna just relax and do not alot but that's where the munchies are coming from if you're spaced out in front of the tele.

I do evening work outs as working out totally kills my hunger and leaves me much less inclined to snack
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yes, actually you can stop yourself. Just decide you are going to do it and then back away from the table. There really is nothing in food that "forces" itself down your throat. Exercise a little willpower, quit whining and don't eat the junk. If a man with one leg can run a marathon, we can avoid opening the twinkie box.

Is it easy, no. However it does get easier with time. The longer you go, the more results you'll see the better you'll feel about the tough decisions.

I seem to eat well with the portion sizes for lunch, dinner, have one fruit a day, have a good breakfast

When it comes the evening times, I get snack rush and I cannot stop myself from snacking. However hard I try I seem to fail.

And post lunch and dinner, my urge to eat sweets is also another one hard to control.

Dont know how to deal with this, please help
  • pakks
    pakks Posts: 30
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful replies. I find MFP so motivating and helpful.

Thank you for brushing teeth idea- I guess that should help with sweets

My meals are spaced out evenly, the problem is in the evenings, I go pick up my son from Creche, get back home, straight into the kitchen for dinner. And tthat is where the snack cupboard is and having access being in the kitchen makes it easier for me...

As suggested, I should try buying healthy snacks and so I can eat them guilt free.
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sugar can make you crave. Try to avoid all refined sugar and flour for a week and see how much easier it gets.

Do not deny yourself snacks-Just don't eat refined sugar and flour. Jello sugar free pudding packs with ready whip is a great sugar free chocolate snack, Make yourself some homemade oatmeal cookies with splenda, I love sugar free ice pops. My sister made this amazing pumpkin cake with splenda and a sugar free cake mix this weekend from Paula Deans son who does low cal recipes. You really do not realize that this stuff is sugar free but your body does.

Another suggestion I have is to eat more than 1 fruit per day. I always keep lots of fruit around and probably have 3 servings of frut every day. Better to eat more fruit than to eat empty calorie or fat and sugar loded things. They will satisfy the desire to have something sweet without setting up for more cravings the next day.

What are you doing in the evenings? If you are sitting in front of the TV, find something to do with your hands, Puzzels, word serch, knitting, scrapbooking, crafting, anything that will give your mind sometihg to focus on away from food. I really believe that when I canceled my cable this year that it has helped me loose weight as well.

Good luck. Remember the first 3 days of any change in your diet may be hard. Just push through those 3 small days and by day 4 it will be easier.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    hate to tell you this but, you are simply beyond help. there is no way to control these urges in your case. we can offer tricks, tips, and advice all day, you can pack only healthy snacks and leave your money at home but then your coworker will bring brownies that day and you'll be right where you started.

unless.... *you* decide you want it bad enough. when you choose being healthy and losing weight before the tasty little tray of cupcakes in the break room, then you'll find out what it's like to feel powerful, self satisfied, and you'll be successful as an end result. but until you decide to put your body before your tastebuds, you're fighting a losing battle.
  • pakks
    pakks Posts: 30
    Options
    Sugar can make you crave. Try to avoid all refined sugar and flour for a week and see how much easier it gets.

Do not deny yourself snacks-Just don't eat refined sugar and flour. Jello sugar free pudding packs with ready whip is a great sugar free chocolate snack, Make yourself some homemade oatmeal cookies with splenda, I love sugar free ice pops. My sister made this amazing pumpkin cake with splenda and a sugar free cake mix this weekend from Paula Deans son who does low cal recipes. You really do not realize that this stuff is sugar free but your body does.

Another suggestion I have is to eat more than 1 fruit per day. I always keep lots of fruit around and probably have 3 servings of frut every day. Better to eat more fruit than to eat empty calorie or fat and sugar loded things. They will satisfy the desire to have something sweet without setting up for more cravings the next day.

What are you doing in the evenings? If you are sitting in front of the TV, find something to do with your hands, Puzzels, word serch, knitting, scrapbooking, crafting, anything that will give your mind sometihg to focus on away from food. I really believe that when I canceled my cable this year that it has helped me loose weight as well.

Good luck. Remember the first 3 days of any change in your diet may be hard. Just push through those 3 small days and by day 4 it will be easier.

Thank you soo much. Each sentence was like hitting on my head and making me realise the obvious.
    I tend to use too much sugar in my coffee (though my coffee intake is 3 cups per day, I use 4-5 tsp of sugar per cup)

I shall reduce the sugar intake as you said and increase the fruits...Time to go healthy Shopping
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    hate to tell you this but, you are simply beyond help. there is no way to control these urges in your case. we can offer tricks, tips, and advice all day, you can pack only healthy snacks and leave your money at home but then your coworker will bring brownies that day and you'll be right where you started.

unless.... *you* decide you want it bad enough. when you choose being healthy and losing weight before the tasty little tray of cupcakes in the break room, then you'll find out what it's like to feel powerful, self satisfied, and you'll be successful as an end result. but until you decide to put your body before your tastebuds, you're fighting a losing battle.

AGREED