Glycemic Index Gurus?? anybody

xsargex
xsargex Posts: 768
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone know of a good site or source to check a variety of foods for their GI effect? I've been eating alot of sweet potatoes, brown rice and black beans....but looking for good carbs. Also a source thats accurate. thanks

chris (aka sarge the toecutter)

Replies

• xsargex
    Anyone know of a good site or source to check a variety of foods for their GI effect? I've been eating alot of sweet potatoes, brown rice and black beans....but looking for good carbs. Also a source thats accurate. thanks

chris (aka sarge the toecutter)
  • Low GI carbs

Wholegrain bread
    Wholemeal pasta
    Quinoa

Look for wholegrain, wholemeal on the label.
    Don't really know of a low GI site, in the UK foods are labelled as GI Low if that's the case
  • xsargex
    thanks bro. I guess I hear alot of people say, "oh no stay away from pasta and bread", so the numbers is what interests me. Is eating whole grain as opposed to white bread just a better alternative....or really a great source of good (low GI) carbs. Know what I'm saying?

nice suit by the way, ha
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    You can google 'glycemic index' and several websites with extensive lists will come up. However, GI isn't a deciding factor of what's healthy. A banana is high GI. A Snickers is low GI.
  • oatmealie
    oatmealie Posts: 9 Member
    Check out www.gidiet.com

There are different sections for the US, Canada and Britain. It is by Rick Gallop, the guy who wrote all the GI Diet books, which are a good read. Hope that helps!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Check out this article...
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/plans/diets/the-slow-carb-diet/

On page 5, there's a list of food items and their glycemic index numbers.

It's not comprehensive by any means, but the pattern I see is that items that are higher in fiber and/or protein have lower GI numbers. So, whole grains, veggies, whole fruits and lean protein seem to be good choices.
  • dkell
    dkell Posts: 408 Member
    http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

found a great article at this site :drinker:
  • xsargex
    i meant, slow carbs...not just low carbs.
  • pjthomas
    pjthomas Posts: 6 Member
    I've found the GI Diet by Rick Gallop to be pretty helpful. He has a little pocket book for eating out and grocery shopping that I take with me every day cause when you're looking at popcorn and trail mix and trying to decide what your better choice, it's friggin tough!

Do a lot of reading, it helped me......
This discussion has been closed.