Food addiction?

Options
So both me and my girlfriend started using MFP about two weeks ago, and I've been doing pretty well! I had a total of 15-17lbs to lose, and lost 2lbs my first week. I know for my size it won't come off very fast, but I'm happy to finally see some progress!

My girlfriend, however, is having a much more difficult time. She has a total goal of 50lbs to lose. While she likes using MFP, she hates it at the same time. I never understood why I could eat dinner with her and be satisfied with the one meal, where as she needs to get seconds to be full. We're both college students, and every time she gets stressed, she turns straight to food.

Last night she wanted to get KFC/Taco Bell. I hadn't eaten any junk in two weeks, so I felt really okay getting it. I got a meal I looked up ahead of time so I'd know my calorie intake. She did not. After eating, we were getting ready to go out and she got really angry with everything she was trying on. She said "I look awful. We shouldn't have eaten that fast food" to which I responded kind of defensively "I feel fine eating it. I work out every day and never go over my calories. Maybe you should too".

That was the wrong thing to say.

She got really worked up, and started crying. My girl friend NEVER cries. I was shocked! We talked about it, and she told me that she thinks she has an addiction to food. She says it comforts her when she's sad and makes her feel empty when she doesn't have what she wants and how much she wants of it. She compared it to a drug addict trying to get clean, and explained that it's easier for me because I am not addicted to food at all.

I guess my questions are the following:

1. Can someone really be addicted to food?
2. How can she battle this addiction if it's real? What are the best steps to take?
3. Is there anything I can do to help her and motivate her?

Any help would be sooo great!!

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm going to leave the answer to that to more experienced people and just say I hope you and your girlfriend can both find success here. Good luck to both of you and good for you for trying to be supportive.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    My advice is that she needs to seek professional help. There seems to be a whole lot more going on than just food. She needs to get down to why she uses food as a crutch.
  • Lisone
    Lisone Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes, food addiction is real.. i suffer from it, and have for years. Its as if you're trapped.. much like being an alcoholic. Tell her to turn to OA (Overeaters Annonymous) to look for an online meeting or find a meeting in her area. They are much like AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) and have helped thousands of people. Type it into Google and their site will pop up immediately. Food addiction is a real disease but can be cured! Good luck and god bless both of you. <3
  • julie_a_griffin
    julie_a_griffin Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1. Can someone really be addicted to food?
    2. How can she battle this addiction if it's real? What are the best steps to take?
    3. Is there anything I can do to help her and motivate her?

Hi. I used to work as a health care assistant in a psych hospital that dealt mainly with addictions, and yes, you can be addicted to food. It is a very hard addicton to battle, because, unlike drugs or alcohol, you cannot just cut it out of your life completely. You need food to survive and it learning to manage it that is the hard part.

Overeating/food addiction is similar to anorexia/bulemia, but on the opposite end of the scale. Instead of managing your feelings by starving yourself, you overeat.

Now, I'm not a psychologist, but I recommend that if she does honeslty feel like she has an addiction, to speak to a doctor, or contact organisations like Overeaters Anonymous (http://www.oagb.org.uk/ - This is the British site. I'm sure there are links and similar ones if you are in a different country.) A lot of it is to do with stress and confidence, and she will need you to be supportive of her, which is sounds like you are being :D That is awesome.

I wish you both luck, and if you have any questions, contact me and I can try to help. Like I said, I'm not a psychologist/psychiatrist, but I am an ear that can listen, and that often helps.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    First. Talk to a doctor and see if there is a medical reason.
    Second. Just as with alcoholics there is a program called FA.

Third. Be there for her and try to help as much as you can. It's a hard road. I'm still fighting with my compulsions.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    First. Talk to a doctor and see if there is a medical reason.
    Second. Just as with alcoholics there is a program called FA.

Third. Be there for her and try to help as much as you can. It's a hard road. I'm still fighting with my compulsions.
    Top advice - professional help and mateship is the key. Being an listening ear and a supportive shoulder.
  • catlover98611
    catlover98611 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Addiction is a disease of the body, mind and spirit. It cannot be cured but it can be arrested a day at a time through the tools used in 12 step programs. I know, I'm an addict. I am an alcoholic, drug addict, food addict, and I have a highly addictive personality that pushes me to do everything to excess----work, kids, texting, school----whatever it is, I do it to the extreme.

I started my recovery process with counseling in 09 and ran out of money a year later, so I went back to AA. I got a sponsor and worked the steps and then found FA, a great program for food addiction recovery. I got a sponsor there, follow the food plan, attend meetings in my area, and participate in AWOL (A Way Of Life) which is the process FA uses for completing the step work required for recovery.

I used food for comfort when I could not turn to other things. My moods were constantly out of control. I have a lot of understanding and sympathy for your girlfriend and for what you are going through with her. Addiction to anything is a family disease. She can message me for support or questions.

Oh, I lost 68 pounds in about 7 months following their food plan, but the peace of mind and serenity I feel now after learning as much as I have is truly unmeasurable.