Funny way to burn calories

Options
This morning while hiking in the dessert I came across a coyote, no not wyle.
But My dog chassed it and off they went running at warp speed across the desert.
So I ran after them, the girl chassing the dog chassing the coyote. :laugh:
Now for the 1/4 mile wind sprint I had to burn a bunch of extra calories!

Replies

• garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    Options
    But My dog chassed it and off they went running at warp speed across the desert.
  • Erica92627
    Options
    poor coyote, is he okay?

You have a great dog, either he was protecting you and its territory or just looking for a new friend.

Glad everything turned out okay.
  • garimac
    Options
    coyote is fine luckly faster then the both of us.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I have to say, that would be a cool workout. Sadly my dog is only 30 lbs, and the coyotes around here are actually hybrids with wolves and can get up to 60 lbs (yikes!) If my dog chased one, he would become sushi pretty fast. Ether that or I would have to kill the coyote barehanded (and I would, or my wife would never let me back in the house!). None the less, it would be a cool way to work off some extra cals.
  • garimac
    Options
    My dog is only 20 pounds and belive me I was afraid the coyote was going to turn around and come after her!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I hear tell that wind sprints burn more calories in a short time then a flat out run for the same amount of time. But I do not know how true this is...IF IT IS TRUE! then I bet that you did in FACT have a GREAT workout!
    --Diann...
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options

Check this post for awhile ago. You will want to walk and run your dog more.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/2982-walking-your-dog?hl=walking+your+dog#posts-18556
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Do you ever wonder if anyone is watching?:laugh:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I imagine that probably goes under the category of interval training. I know that when I was playing football in college. Every season we started with double sessions and started each practice with 30, 50 yard wind sprints. I asked my coach why he didn't just have us do laps as they wouldn't need to monitor us so much, he said because wind sprints allow us to get in shape (get our wind back) much faster then running. I never questioned him about it though, but he was an 11 - 0 college coach so I figured he was right, anyway, by the end of double sessions, nobody was out of shape anymore, so I guess he had a point.