Cereals with low sugar.

Options
My dietician said I need to find cereals with 9 grams or less of sugar per serving. I have been eating Kashi Go Lean Crunch only to find out it has 15g of sugar. I had no idea how much sugar normal cereals had till I started looking. So what are yalls fav cereals that dont taste like crap?

Replies

• SportySpiceVT
    SportySpiceVT Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Chex, Kix, cheerios. They don't taste like "crap" but they don't satisfy a sweet-tooth either.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I buy that Kashi Honey sunshine I believe it has 6gms or so. I don't eat cereal for breakfast anymore. I use it as a snack. I found that it did not feel me up. I switched to oatmeal with peanut butter in it. I usually do a serving of the kashi with skim milk for one of my snacks.
  • coffeefreak88
    coffeefreak88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Plain cheerios with a sliced banana on top :)
  • Jelleebean
    Options
    my 'go to' cereal, Special K. just the boring basic one, not the 'red berries' or 'vanilla almond'... just the plain regular special k. top that with a banana, or some raspberries, and it's a fantastic brekkie :smile:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and many other ancient grain cereals that are just the cereal... I don't bother with raisin bran anymore because of the frosting on the cereal flakes and raisins, but I do make my own with bran flakes and a handful of raisins (not likely great for OP because of the sugar restriction and dried fruit has some itself, but point is be creative !)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Quaker Old-Fashioned rolled oats! I think a serving only has 1 gram of sugar. It's also sodium-free, which is something a lot of people see as another perk.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Plain ol' bran flakes. NO raisins. It was the only cereal I could eat when I had gestational diabetes.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    double post.
  • melissabee31
    Options
    Go lean crunch honey almond flax is my favorite cereal! I didn't know it had that much sugar either...

Cheerios (just the plain ones) don't have a lot of sugar. I also eat Crispix (only 3g sugar). However, I find that, while I love Crispix because they're low calorie and crunchy, I am hungry by 11 if I have this for breakfast.

Regular Go Lean by Kashi only has 6g of sugar per cup. I find this cereal is a lot more filling and kind of like Go lean crunch.
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Fiber one cereal, the 80 calorie one. Very low in sugar.
  • blakegreen
    Options
    cinnamon cheerios = 9g of sugar per serving
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Barbara's Puffins cereals are great!!! I've had the original which has 5 grams of sugar and I LOVE the peanut butter which is 6 grams of sugar. The peanut butter tastes just like Captn Crunch cereal---YUM!!! They make a multigrain and a cinnamon but haven't tried. You can buy them at the grocery store in the healthy section or I get them at Trader Joe's - larger box and better price. The serving size is 3/4 of a cup. I actually hate eating cereal in the morning but when I buy the box of Puffins I put 3/4 cup servings in lots of snack bags and I like it as a snack with my tea at night. YUMMY!!!!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Kashi Honey Sunshine has 6 grams of sugar per serving, I believe.

Fiber One Honey Clusters.

Kashi Cinnamon Harvest Shredded Wheat.

Post Shredded Wheat and Bran. (I'm weird, I like shredded wheat.)
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love Kellogs Fiber Plus Cinnamon Oat Crunch Cereal. With 3/4 Cup skim milk, the nutrition facts are: 150 Cals, 26 Carbs, 140 mg Sodium, 3 Protein, 9 Fiber, 7 Sugar

So delicious!
  • SportySpiceVT
    SportySpiceVT Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    honey sunshine is great as a snack. I'm not as big of a fan of it with milk. but it is great if you need fiber too!
  • Hassiri
    Hassiri Posts: 35
    Options
    Forget all highly processed cereals, get oat bran! It's, low fat, high fiber, high protein, no sugar :) I only need half a portion and I'm stuffed.
    I LOVE IT!
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Just get something that is not sweetened... Like Fiber One. Mmmmm fiber.

Surprisingly enough the grocery stores put all cereals in one spot... You could go and look at the nutritional labels.
  • thinby40
    thinby40 Posts: 113
    Options
    I used to eat the Kashi Go Lean cereal too b/c it tasted good and it filled me up. I'm now drinking protein shakes b/c it fills me up and hardly has any sugar. I'm not hungry all morning! Check out the website....www.lisalynnfitness.com I love the chocolate shake is my favorite. The woman is a local ftiness expert and has a lot of great products took. I just started taking some of the supplements along with the shakes and I'm hardly hungry!!
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I too am looking for low sugar alternatives without it having Sorbitol or Aspartame. I cannot stand the aftertaste of those!! I suffer from PCOS and one of the things I need to limit is my sugar intake. Unfortunately most of the "healthy" bars, cereals, yogurts, etc are LOADED with sugar, or sorbitol, or aspartame. So it's been a challenge to find things that are good, low in cals and low in sugar without the gross substitutes. I've read a lot, and your body reacts to sugar substitutes the same way as it reacts to sugar, so just limit your sugar and save yourself the effects of the substitutes.

I have found and really enjoy:
    Nature's Path - Flax Plus - Organic Multibran Cereal (With Omega 3) : 1 cup has 147 cals and 5 grams of sugar
    Kashi Honey Sunshine - Cereal: 3/4 cup has 100 cals and 6 grams sugar
    Special K - Original: 1 cup has 120 cals and 4 grams of sugar
    Sometimes I'll add a heaping teaspoon of Jif Natural Creamy peanut butter: 2 tbsp 190 cals and 3 grams of sugar

I find the Nature's Path Flax Plus cereal keeps me satisfied longer.....

I've also switched from 2% milk to Silk Almond Milk:
    Silk - Pure Almond Milk Unsweetened: 1 cup has only 35 cals and ZERO sugar!!

Hope some of this helps!! Good Luck in your journey!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I agree with only eating cereals as a snack, because they don't have much protein, and as a diabetic, I find that they don't carry me through the morning for breakfast. I also eat oatmeal with peanut butter. Since I always am in a hurry in the morning, I make this oatmeal mix (http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Spiced-Oatmeal-Mix), using splenda instead of the white sugar or just leaving it out, and leaving out the dried fruit. I pop it in the microwave with a little peanut butter and sometimes some fresh fruit or raisins, and I am good to go.