Not Losing anything - Food tips

Options
So I've 6lbs so far in the last month and a half, but I'm getting discouraged. Some people say I'm not eating enough.... which I'm not understanding. So this weekend I tested the theory and ate what I wanted in moderation to find my weight didn't change. I'm going to continue my workout regimen but I'm at a loss. So my questions is, what's in your fridge? Today is payday and I always do my shopping the day of so I don't have any excuses. Mind you money is a slightly an object, but I already have a lot of basic stuff. I need ideas for breakfast, lunch, and snacks I can eat at work, as well as dinners that I can either make ahead or quickly (I only have an hour and half after work to eat before class). I have access (at work) to a fridge, microwave, toaster, and I pretty sure the stove works (even though it looks scary). I just need help and ideas! Please!! I want to keep at this.... I want to meet these goals!

Replies

• Jay0hwhy
    Options
    nvm. i just reread your post. what are you doing to work out?
  • sammeruss
    sammeruss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hummus is a great cheap option for a snack or lunch - I make my own, so cheap...I can chickpeas, juice of half a lemon, tahini ( is expensive to buy, but lasts for ages) 1 tbs, 1tbs no fat plain yogurt, I garlic clove, and seasoning to taste...throw all in the food processor and its makes tons, and lasts for 3-4 days...I spread on ryvita and have veggies with it too..
  • szachocki
    Options
    If your working out at least four days a week, if you are then try change, sometimes our bodies need a change after the same routine. either do a different type of workout, or add some weight training, change it up!!

also are you eating alot of carbs? if you are that could be the problem. cut it back a little

good luck
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    Here's my favorite breakfast idea: quickly saute some onions, bell peppers, mushrooms (really whatever veggies sound good) with 2 slices of bacon cut into pieces. It takes 5 min or less. Stir some eggs and pour them over the mixture in your skillet. Turn the heat to medium-low and put a lid on it.

Then, go take a shower or do whatever to get ready for the day. Come back 15 min later, and you have an awesome breakfast!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I like to make a sweet potato and salad, once a week for lunch. Steamed veggies over rice with maybe a smidge of soy sauce is another. I also like to eat hummus with veggies, but I always measure it first. At skinnytaste.com there are some things like zucchini bread that are low in calories for snacks... Fruit is always great for breakfast, granola bars are good. My dinners consist of things like veggie spaghetti, stir fry, things like that.
  • mannana
    mannana Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    good job loosing the 6!

what has really helped me and my fiance is the eat clean website. it has AMAZING food and i find i am not in the kitchen a lot anymore. Also Kashi cereal is amazing, i bring my milk with me so i can eat when i get to work. i find it hard to say "i will get up early". a cup of that and i am full.

Also if you dont eat a lot of meat try protien shakes. also when working out try changing your routines.

I had the same thing happen to me i was working out and not loosing anything until i changed my workout. i do the 90 seconds hard then 90 seconds light then hard etc... i lost the 11 in 5 weeks which is not too bad considering 2 weeks of that i was not getting to the gym and not eat so well. keep your chin up you can do it!

hope this helps a bit!
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    TIP: Eat 6 times a day or more!!

Breakfast 6-8
    Snack 10-11
    Lunch 12-2
    Snack 2-5 Possibe two snacks here
    Dinner 6-8
    Snack before 8pm
    NEVER be hungry..

End of TIP:

PD
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    hardboiled eggs are a cheap, clean, and delicious snack!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    do you have a crock pot? i have a recipe that i make a lot called Curried Chicken with Chickpeas Stew if you're interested. It's onions, chickpeas, chicken and tomatos that you cook in the crockpot for 6-8 hrs. It makes 8-9 1 cup servings. I portion these with a half cup of brown rice. I haven't tried to freeze it but I eat it through the week. With the rice, it's approx 425 calories which makes a nice lunch or dinner.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Whats in my fridge? Lots of hummus, lots of eggs, spinach and fetta chicken sausage, Dannon light and fit vanilla yogurt, some fruit, veggies, and lettuce. Then in my cupboards I've got minute rice, grape nuts cereal (for the yogurt), arnold select sandwich thins, almonds, and fiber one bars.
  • jennimackhcggal
    Options
    My favorite snack or meal replacements are:

FF plain FAGE with 1-2 scoops of protein powder...sometimes I add 10 SF choc chips or some raw almonds.
    Cottage cheese with sliced strawberries or blueberries and chia seeds
    I love Granny Smith Apples with raw almonds
    green smoothies
    You need to be eating lean proteins and enough protein if you are working out. You need to eat healthy fats but not overdoing it. And I completely eliminated grains and starches from my eating. I may add in Ezekial bread, popcorn (popped in air popper not MW crap)---I eliminated all processed, chemicals, MSG, gluten--all of these things are stored in your cells as fat because they are toxic to the body. WATER!!!!!! Lots of it! Grapefruits are great daily too!

Oh--I have lost over 40 lbs since June...Have a few more to go. Good luck to you.. Diet is key...get rid of snack items and diet items...try to stick to as natural as possible. EAt a ton of steamed and raw veggies, low glycemic fruits, water and get excercise.. I am loving the P90X workouts!
  • Meg2012
    Meg2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that as you get smaller, the weight loss will be slower. It's just how it is.

Eat for nutrition, and health. Fresh veggies by the tons, fruit (apples are a great snack to keep at your desk.) Lean meat, if you are a meat eater (poultry, seafood).

Don't skip breakfast - skipping breakfast slows your metabolism! Even if you just eat an apple or a banana. Always eat something in the morning to start your metabolism going.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Your diary is sporadic at best but from the looks of it on most days you are not even eating 1,000 calories.

That is way too little, you're basically starving your body so it is holding onto everything it can.

Your body needs food to fuel your organs and pump your blood, it's what keeps us alive ya know.

Eating a few hundred more calories for one weekend and then not seeing weight loss and saying oh that didn't work is ridiculous. A couple days isn't going to magically fix your problem.

You need to eat AT LEAST 1200 calories a day, not 800 not 900 but 1200! more on days your work out.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Become friends with your slow cooker!

One of my favorites is a Taco Chicken recipe.

Take 4-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts.
    1 package of Taco seasoning mix
    1 1/2 cup of water

Cook in the slow cooker on low while you are at work. You will come home to some to die for Taco chicken. Stick it in a tortilla wrap with sour cream, salsa, lettuce, sprinkle of cheese and you are all set!!
  • SUgrad04
    Options
    Having dieted a LOT in the past (!) one thing I learned is to expect plateaus, and to not judge anything by too short of a trial period. All the advice you're hearing about "switch up your workouts" and "cut down on carbs" is spot-on, but give it at least a few weeks to work. You may not lose anything in the first week, a little the second, and then a lot more the third. Unfortunately the "food math" doesn't always work out in real time.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    There are some good suggestions on here (hummus, salads). Try to focus on eating foods that are low calorie density and high nutrient. That means lots of veggies (salads, steamer bags of mixed veggies you can toss in the microwave), potatoes and sweet potatoes, brown rice (make plenty ahead), fruit, and canned beans of all kinds. Keep lots of fresh salsa around to top things like potatoes rather than using butter and oils. Whole grain pastas cook fairly quickly, but are a little more calorie-dense. You can eat a LOT of food this way, feel full, and lose weight.

Best wishes.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Your diary is sporadic at best but from the looks of it on most days you are not even eating 1,000 calories.

That is way too little, you're basically starving your body so it is holding onto everything it can.

Your body needs food to fuel your organs and pump your blood, it's what keeps us alive ya know.

Eating a few hundred more calories for one weekend and then not seeing weight loss and saying oh that didn't work is ridiculous. A couple days isn't going to magically fix your problem.

You need to eat AT LEAST 1200 calories a day, not 800 not 900 but 1200! more on days your work out.
    WHAT SHE SAID... EAT EVERY 3 HOURS, KEEP YOUR METABOLISM BOOSTED, WHOLE GRAINS, COMPLEX CARBS. LOTS OF VEGGIES, FRUITS AND WATER. THE MORE PROCESSED THE FOOD IS THE HARDER IT IS TO BREAK DOWN. EAT CLEAN AND MELT HAS BEEN THE WAY FOR ME :)
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hmmm 6lbs is still progress, but like others have asked... what are doing to exercise, and how often? I like to eat vanilla Greek yogurt with granola for breakfast (140 calories), Chicken Taco salad for lunch (under 300 calories) or soup and half sandwich, and then a moderate evening meal. Someone else mentioned snacks and they are right. I just have a hard time remembering to eat them. Don't get discouraged. Keep up the good work!
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    In my fridge, Eggs, spinnach, avocado, fresh tortellini, chicken, Very low fat sausages, half fat cheese, skimmed milk, fat free bio yoghurt.

I don't know why, but I always seem to lose more when I swap my cereal for bio yoghurt and fruit for brekkie.
  • Hj723
    Hj723 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I'm horrible about keeping track of dinner and snacks after I leave work. Most of what I log is at work.... sorry for the miss lead.

As for my work out. I walk 20 minutes at a 3.5 give or take pace on my lunch break mon-fri. I have a pilates class I take two nights during the week, and I doing anything from cardio, to wii, to strength training the other 3 nights. Just depends on the mood. Could it be I'm not making enough effort on the weekends along with the not eating enough?