Weight loss before next baby??

Options
Anyone out there trying to lose 1st pregnancy pounds before starting on baby number 2? I'd really like to get to my pre-pregnancy weight before I get pregnant again, but the weight loss is sooo slow and I don't know if I want to wait that long before starting try again.

My OBGYN said it's possible to not gain weight or even lose a few pounds while you're pregnant, as long as you're really careful and healthy about it. You just have to make sure the baby is getting enough to eat and that you're eating the right things. I knew someone who only gained 6 pounds during pregnancy and the baby was super healthy. She was thinner after baby than before! NOTE: IF you're considering this, PLEASE talk to your doctor BEFORE attempting it!!!

Thoughts?

Replies

• alc720
    alc720 Posts: 27
    Options
    With my second child I gained 1 lb.!!!!! I ate VERY healthy and she weighed a whopping 8 lbs. 12 oz!!!!!!! She is extremely healthy! SO I would have to say it CAN be done!
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Posting this as a topic is sure to bring some MFP folks ranting!

Anyways, as long as you are eating healthy and the doc is giving you his blessing, I say good luck to you! :)
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I just had my 3rd baby a year ago and when I was pregnant, I had gestational diabetes. I was overweight to start with. I only gaines 2 pounds with that pregnancy because I ate good and exercised. So when I did lose weight, it was my own fat that I was losing. After I delivered my baby, I was thinner than before I got pregnant. My baby weighed 7 lbs 2 ozs at birth! And my doctor said the same thing, as long as the baby is gaining than that's fine! :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My son just turned 2 and I've lost all the weight and then some since he was born. we'll start working on number 2 next year.
  • jcn1109
    jcn1109 Posts: 49
    Options
    I'd say a lot of it depends on how much you need to lose to be really healthy during pregnancy. Remember that being overweight and pregnant increases the risks for several complications, some that are potentially deadly (although that is very rare these days).

For example (and on a very personal level), I was about 75 pounds overweight when I got (unexpectedly) pregnant. Most of the pregnancy went fairly well, but a week after the baby was born I went into the hospital with shortness of breath and discovered I had developed a rare pregnancy complication called peripartum cardiomyopathy, which is a form of congestive heart failure. While this isn't likely to happen, these sort of potential complications should be discussed. Especially IF you are significantly overweight.

Best advice? Talk, REALLY talk, with your ob/gyn about the risks/pros/cons/etc based on your weight and health. And good luck, whatever you decide to do.
  • michellezigs
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight before my FIRST baby! We are trying hard to get pregnant and it has taken a lot longer than expected. I'm hoping if I can drop 20-30 my body will be more healthy and will more easily concieve.....
  • theradiantbride
    Options
    I'm in a similar position except that I'm wanting to lose most if not all of my excess weight before I get pregnant for the first time. I'm worried that if I get pregnant anytime soon I'll gain a ton of weight and be very discouraged after the baby. If you can wait, or if you want to, I would say try to lose as much as you can until you decide to try to get pregnant again or until you are pregnant. I'm sure it'll make it easier after baby #2 to lose whatever weight you gain during that pregnancy. :)
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    PLUS I had the diabetes so I had to eat better and I stopped drinking soda. So naturally, you will lose weight that way. I wasn't looking to lose weight though, I had to eat better for the health of my baby and I.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yes, obviously the baby's health is most important.. but.. I understand your concerns about gaining MORE weight (in excess to what is actually needed for the baby) without having first lost the extra weight from the last pregnancy.

Personally, I lost the weight from each pregnancy before getting pregnant again. Wasn't overly concerned with doing it that way, just happened to work out that way. I also had an easier time losing the weight after subsequent pregnancies as compared to other women who didn't lose the weight before having another pregnancy. My sister was overweight when she got pregnant and she was put on a diet to avoid GD and actually LOST WEIGHT while pregnant. Her daughter was delivered perfectly healthy.

Its hard to say what's the "right thing" to do here...

On one hand you don't want to wait forever to add another family memeber JUST BECAUSE of your weight, if your family is ready... and at the same time, you don't want to risk health complications for you and the baby by adding more weight to your body. Possibly increasing your risk for GD and other birth complications.

If it were ME, I would talk to my husband, let him know how I feel about it and see what his opinion is on it. Maybe he feels more comfortable if you lose 10 or 15lbs before trying again, or maybe he thinks you'll be fine under the doctor's supervision. But start there, its YOUR family and ultimately YOUR decision. Nobody will know what's the RIGHT thing for you, but you :)

My advice would be to improve your nutrition NOW because either way you'll need to do that and start working out NOW that way if you do become pregnant you can continue workingout through pregnancy and keep the weight gain to a minimum. Good luck with everything!!
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I were talking about this yesterday. We aren't TTC but we're also not TTA (we practice NFP). I'm currently breastfeeding #3 and he is showing no signs of weaning (though he'll be one on Wednesday). I'm tired of getting pregnant and not losing the weight before the next pregnancy. With my youngest (#3) I didn't enjoy all the extra doctor visits in the third trimester because of my weight (my BP and Sugar levels were always perfect). So I don't want to go through all that again. So, I have a goal of losing 85 pounds by next September and then trying again. But, based on #3's desire to breastfeed and the fact that I don't mensturate until weaning begins, I don't think I'll even be fertile until then (2 years will be my cut off, he's the only one who's wanted to bf this long).
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I've known several people who lost 30+ pounds while pregnant. Ate 5 meals a day of healthy protein fruits and veggies. They were eating healthier while pregnant and thats why the weight came off. It's ok as long as you are giving the baby what they need :)
  • dragonflytwt
    dragonflytwt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm in that situation right now, we're planning on starting on baby #3 after the first of the year. I am 3 lbs away from being where I was when I got pregnant with my second and that was loosing a lot of weight after the first. I am just going to try my best and loose as much as I can before we start trying. And once pregnancy starts, LISTEN TO THE DOC, do as much exercise as my body will let me, eat healthy, but I will be creating a child, so if I feel like eating, I will try and do my best, but a craving is a craving! Good luck!
  • tinksmum
    Options
    i'm trying to lose weight before ttc in jan i have a stone and a half to lose.
  • bcopeland2005
    bcopeland2005 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    looks like there is a lot of us who are trying to do the same. i have a lot of weight to loose before i try to get pregnant with my first. i wanna be as healthy as possible... and of course... i dont wanna just look like i got fatter.... i want that pretty baby bumb! =) good luck to you!! i know how it feels to want to get pregnant right now and want to be healthier at the same time.