REALLY need advice..

Options
i am trying to bring up my cals to 1200 as advised by so many posts!!!! I used to eat 600 now can comfortably eat 850..yesterday i ate 1,00o and woke up this morning feeling SICK.. i feel like i need to throw up (i haven't and i am not bulimic!) i was just wondering if someone could suggest a way i could up my calories without feeling queazy...
i am also scared i am gonna gain weight cuz my body has been used to so much fewer calories...

Replies

• FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    i am trying to bring up my cals to 1200 as advised by so many posts!!!! I used to eat 600 now can comfortably eat 850..yesterday i ate 1,00o and woke up this morning feeling SICK.. i feel like i need to throw up (i haven't and i am not bulimic!) i was just wondering if someone could suggest a way i could up my calories without feeling queazy...
    i am also scared i am gonna gain weight cuz my body has been used to so much fewer calories...
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You should do it gradually.
    You've been eating only 600-800 calories?:noway:
    Try eating things that are a bit higher in cals (but no junk food).
    You're body has gotten so used to eating so little so ofcourse when you begin to eat more you get sick.
    Don't worry about gaining weight.
    Eat the cals that you are suppose to and burn how ever much this site tells you.
    Your body needs food for energy. You'll eventual burn out if you don't eat.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'll be really honest fuzzbuzz, I think you're bordering the edges of an eating disorder. Your profile says that you want to stop being the "chubby" one in the room. With only 15 pounds to lose you can't possibly have looked "chubby" EVER. I'm pretty sure your self image is a little skewed. And even right now your saying you want to lose another 4 pounds. What is that goal based on??? Cause you can't base goals strictly on numbers alone. From the picture I see on your profile you are very thin. So my advice is to be very careful with what you are doing. You have to understand that "healthy" means eating and you don't find "healthy" in a number. If I were you I would seriously consider talking to a nutritionist and/or counselor. Be sure that you are heading in the right direction. I only say these things out of care and concern.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could just add 50 calories to each meal for now and that would bring u up a little bit without seeming so overwhelming. Try adding more cheese to anything u normally use cheese on, u probably won't feel more full from a little cheese...lol I wish I could eat more cheese :)
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    slow and steady wins (like previously posted), don't try to go up or down all in one day. Our stomachs stretch and shrink based on how much food we put into it on a regular basis, if you bump up your intake by alot all at once, your bound to feel sick. Take it slow. Do it over the course over a month or so, add 25 or 50 cals a day (that means an extra 4 oz of milk, or an apple, or 1/2 an oz of almonds.), maybe throw a few pieces of broccoli into your salad, or measure out a cup of carrots and throw them in a baggie to munch on today (that reminds me, completely out of food at my house, gotta get to the store today). Little stuff that will ramp you up slowly.

Hope it goes well for you.
  • crystalicfusion
    Options
    when my calories are too low I just get a tbs of all natural peanut butter mix it with a little honey. It's barely anything as far as size so it won't weigh too heavy on your stomach. But its packs some calories. And they're not really bad. Peanuts are really high in b vitamins and with the honey it gives your energy level a good pick up. I agree with the others though, start slow and work your way up. You really shouldn't gain weight as long as you keep up your exercise routine.
  • Tgeorge
    Options
    Watch your food combinations and try to not have dairy with meat or fish. Also try not to do fruits with meats/fish or vegetables. It will keep your stomach and digestive system from acting up.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    is that you in the picture??? what are you worried about? if u want to eat healthier, eat healthier but you are obviously not having a overweight problem.
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    Casta34, thank you for the concern.. i dont htink that i have an eating disorder but i am now aware of how close i came to developing one.. my goal was just a goal weight that i want to reach. I am 5'5 and now weigh 129 pounds.. i am in the healthy range for BMI and before my fitness pall had already lost 20 pounds so in total have lost 31 pounds since the summer.. i am trying to stablise right now which is now i want to be eating more and maybe these last 4 pounds will fall off gradually later on. I am just having a hard time accepting that this is my new body and that even if i eat more i wont gain a lot of weight back...

THanks for all the suggestions though everybody.. i feel like i have a battle ahead of me... your support really healp me more than u realize.. KEEP the advice coming!!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from. I reached my goal last month and kept on thinking maybe I should go another 1 or 5. It's hard to realize we finally made it and now it's time to stop:tongue: At first it was hard going from 1200 calories to 1560 but I worked up to it slowly and some days I don't make it but most I do. Take it slow and realize how awesome you look.

Also there was a comment how just being overweight by 15 pounds you can't ever be considered chubby. I'll have to disagree that's how much I lost on this site (more by myself) and I was a bit chubby I'm only 5 1 so those 15 pounds really showed.:grumble:
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    is that you in the picture??? what are you worried about? if u want to eat healthier, eat healthier but you are obviously not having a overweight problem.

THANK YOU! yes it is me.. i just have to realize this is MY new body and be happy with it.. i am now trying to be healtheir becuase i was not eating enough in my weight loss battle.. i want to be eating normally now..that is what i am having troubles with.. i feel the more i eat normally (which i know i have to) i will gain weight... its a fear.. but thank you so much again for the compliment.. its great having all this support!
    :heart:
  • Erica92627
    Options
    please., please , be very very careful. I had a really close friend who thought she was the fat one, the chubby one. There was not one inch of fat on her. Her boyfriend would be on her case everyday, saying how fat she was. I totally wanted to get someone to beat him up for doing that to my friend. She was almost like a sister to me. Needless to say they are not together anymore and she's feeling great, the best she has ever felt. She's at a healthy and happy weight. She no longer lets people put her down.

From the looks of your picture, four pounds is nothing. You stated yourself, maybe the pounds will gradually fall off. I would concider that you use your very own words there and just maintain where you are at. If the pounds are meant to come off they will. The four pounds might very well be muscle.

If you are feeling sick, I suggest you take the advice from the posters here and maybe see a doctor. She will be able to help you out on a good eating habit that will keep you healthy and not feel like you are going to get sick.
  • becca51
    Options
    I was on an 700-800 calorie diet a year ago ... and I TOTALLY understand the difficult adjustment. Just eating 100 extra calories made me feel HUGE ... but I had to tell myself that it was for my health. I developed Galbladder disease and had to have it removed after my "eating disorder" which only lasted 5 months (I cant imagine the damage after a year).

Basically, I would raise my caloric intake 100 calories every two weeks. Thats probably slower than what most people would tell you to do, but most people dont realize how fragile you are about gaining weight (I was too). And I made it my goal to actually eat that amount for those 2 weeks.

Once you get to your prefered and healthy daily caloric level, you should vary your calories so that your body doesnt conform around it. If you continuously feed your body, say 1500 calories a day, it will slow its metabolism bc it knows what to expect. Eat 1600 one day, then 1500, then 1400, then 1500, etc.

You'll be fine. Good luck.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The most informative thing I read on your profile is that you're a dancer.

For those of you that don't know about the dance community, body images and ideas of the body are very stringent. It's very easy to be very critical of your body in that environment.

As much as you can, remember that your body is your instrument. You need to love it and feed it with wholesome foods so that it can continue to be your instrument.

Gradually add food. Please message me if you want some suggestions. I do relate to the fears you describe, in a lot of ways. :flowerforyou:
  • wicked0919
    Options
    Do it slowly. I was in the same boat as you for many years. I raised 5 children and worked full time. I never had time to eat and if I got the feeling I was hungry and was busy it would go away and I wouldn't think about it. My doctor and nutrianist were always yelling at me because I would easily go 24 hours without eating anything. Not that I was trying or forcing myself I was just too busy.

It took me a long time but how I did it was to eat a ton of little meals. Eat breakfast then at 10 a.m. eat a banana or other piece of fruit. Then eat your lunch and at 3p.m. have another snack. It can be anything hardboiled egg, granola bar, fruit, yogurt. Then eat your dinner, and at 7 have another snack. A great snack which I found for the evenings is a sugar free fugicle. They taste great, no sugar, and only 75 calories.

Keep doing this and before you know it you will be eating normally. When you add exircise to the mix your appetite will increase also. Just hang in there and don't give up....

Kat
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    The most informative thing I read on your profile is that you're a dancer.

For those of you that don't know about the dance community, body images and ideas of the body are very stringent. It's very easy to be very critical of your body in that environment.

As much as you can, remember that your body is your instrument. You need to love it and feed it with wholesome foods so that it can continue to be your instrument.

Gradually add food. Please message me if you want some suggestions. I do relate to the fears you describe, in a lot of ways. :flowerforyou:

ur right... dance is a really competitive environment and u cant afford to be carrying those extra pounds... i ate 960 today and feel pretty good.. REALLY full but hopefully i will stay around this number for the rest of the week then next week hopefully higher!!!
    really great words from all u! i really appreciate it..
    i know some of you understand what the fears are.. how did u get over ur fears and what did u add to ur daily intake to up ur calories gradually?
    :flowerforyou: