Plantar faciitis

does anyone have plantar faciitis? How do you get through your workouts?

Replies

• jcdfish
    jcdfish Posts: 31
    I got shoe inserts from the foot doctor. Expensive, but insurance covered them. And they helped amazingly well.

My husband got Dr. Scholl's inserts, the kind where you stand on that platform and it tells you what you need. Those have been working well for him on his daily walks.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 806 Member
    I wear orthotics and I only walk 20 minutes a few times a week.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    If you haven't gone yet, I'd suggest you go see a sports medicine / orthopaedic MD- I had this last Dec - Jan and it really helped to get a cortizone shot , new workout shoes and inserts. I have a tennis ball under my desk at work and use it every day to stretch out the foot muscles. Unless you get some attention, it won't go away -
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    My husband was diagnosed with this about a month ago. He doesn't do workouts but is on his feet all day at work. His podiatrist doctor told him to put his hands against something solid, put one leg behind him, lean forward & stretch the muscles in his foot - then switch & to do this at least 10 times for each foot. He also suggested to put a small dumbell under his foot & roll on it while doing this. It seems to really help my husbad, but don't know if ti will help you.
  • Jiv7
    Jiv7 Posts: 36
    Check out http://www.webmd.com/video/healing-the-heel

i did this and it helped immediately! Hope it works for you!
  • My doctor gave me a cycle of prednisone and sent me to the athletic store for heel cups. They were about $15~
    they still hurt sometimes, but it's been getting better. Just finished the pills last week.
  • dlei456
    dlei456 Posts: 201 Member
    I have been suffering from this for almost a week!!!! But biking and lifting (def no running or ellpitcal for me!) seems to be okay. I try to stretch my calf often and that helps!!! I need to start serious cardio again soon bc I would Iike to eat more calories!!!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 854 Member
    I have tried all those things. What helped the most....was yoga. Who knew? And I finally found shoes that don't hurt, and they weren't the expensive ones. All those were too painful to wear. My inserts actually cost more than the shoes. But it was yoga that finally made the PF so much better.
  • Thank you for the great tips. I have had it for about 5 months now, doc did show me some streches and how to tape it up. Still some nights I cannot walk at all. I will try some inserts. Any shoe brand suggestions???
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    i do but mine only bothers me a lot first thing in the morning or if i wear the wrong shoes.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Thank you for the great tips. I have had it for about 5 months now, doc did show me some streches and how to tape it up. Still some nights I cannot walk at all. I will try some inserts. Any shoe brand suggestions???

i bought superfeet inserts to tryout (before i considered the dr.) they are working great for me. i can put them into the sneakers i love to wear pf flyer and simple. for non-insert shoes i wear el naturalista (i saw tons of improvement with these), naot and dansko.
  • RMT37
    RMT37 Posts: 2
    Before investing in expensive supports and treatments here are a few things to try out:

1) Deep stretching of you calf muscles 2-3 times/day (religiously!)
    2) Use a roller on the bottom of you foot/feet (within your pain tolerance)
    3) Place a wash cloth on the floor in front of you and pick it up with the toes of the affected foot (as much as you can in a day)
    4) If you are wearing heels or those "shape-up" style runners..STOP
    and lastly
    5) Go and see a therapeutically trained massage therapist (preferably one trained in osteopathic thechniques).

Hope this helps!
  • Thank you!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Before investing in expensive supports and treatments here are a few things to try out:

1) Deep stretching of you calf muscles 2-3 times/day (religiously!)
    2) Use a roller on the bottom of you foot/feet (within your pain tolerance)
    3) Place a wash cloth on the floor in front of you and pick it up with the toes of the affected foot (as much as you can in a day)
    and lastly
    5) Go and see a therapeutically trained massage therapist (preferably one trained in osteopathic thechniques).

Hope this helps!

This.
    On point 2, a glass Jelly jar works great.
    On point 3, mixing it up with golf balls is good to.
    I also do my walking on the actual turf at the local soccer fields. This helped tremendously. I even do some of it barefoot.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Did you know plantar faciitis can be a symptom of underactive thyroid? Neither did I, but I am hypothyroid and on synthroid (T4) for 10 years. For the last few years, I have had plantar faciitis in the mornings really bad. Well, I got my new doctor to add Cytomel (T3) because I have never felt like my hypo symptoms were resolved over the past decade. The Cytomel essentially inceases my dose of hormone by about 22%. Anyway, my plantar faciitis and joint pain has decreased a lot since I upped my dose. According to the wisdom of the internets, this is the experience of many people.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Actually, I have a pair of MBT shoes and they work wonders for pain. Which is good because they certainly don't shape you up.