Warrior Dash

Options
Good morning!!

I have wated to do Warrior Dash for 2 years now. I have never been able to find anyone who was interested. Well this year I did. I can not wait! Now my question is how the heck do I prepare for it? I have 46 days. I would say I'm a little bit out of shape, bad knees and smoker but I will not let any of that get in the way of completing Warrior Dash but I'm sure I won't place in it. LOL Which I am fine with.

Replies

• Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the warrior dash.
    But my states next one isn't till June/July.
  • GamecockFan14
    GamecockFan14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I'm going to do my first one, too. Let me know how it goes! :) You can do it :)
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options
    Go to the Warrior Dash website and click on Faq at the top. Then select Training along the side. There are 3 levels of training. Pick the one that works. I am going to start with Virgin and try to work up to the middle level.

I hear you need LOTS of upper body strength. They supposedly put the cargo net and the rope wall one after the other a lot so you need some arm endurance. I also want to know how you do. Mrscornbread and I are going to do it in May!
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options
    Oh, and I hear Puma-like reflexes help a lot as well!!!!
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Congrats on registering for it! Mine is Oct 16th and I can't wait!

From things I've read and people I've talked with, the best training to do is to run and do some strength training. Many have said that, unless you are a 20min 5k'er and can beat the crowd, the obsticles aren't too challenging, the wait to complete the obsticles are..
    Everyone will have plenty of opinions so maybe someone else has set up a mock version, or maybe a mock run through on a kids jungle gym, etc. Which I've thought about doing, but I figued I'm better off running and hitting the weights as needed. Good luck!
  • raw_sugar
    Options
    A bunch of people in my kick-boxing class, and from college participated this year. It looked fun and challenging enough that I'd like to try it next year when it comes back to Ontario
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I just did the warrior dash on saturday, I would say definitely get yourself to where you can comfortably jog at least the 3.5 miles and then do some upper and lower body strength training. Lots of people don't jog the whole time, so you can really participate even if you can't jog the whole thing, the obstacles aren't too bad, just need some upper body strengh. It is a blast though.
  • pammyedmunds
    pammyedmunds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My Coworker and I are going to do this next year when I reach my goal weight. SO MUCH FUN!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I did the Warrior Dash this past summer. I would say if you can comfortably run 2-3 miles you can complete it. The obstacles are challenging but not too difficult. We had as much fun after as we did during! We're doing the Rugged Maniac next which is a little tougher but they're all fun :)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw_BMyB14P8

This girl that ran the warrior dash saturday made this video if you wanna check it out. Kinda shows you what the course is like. she actually runs with the video camera on haha. Well for some of it anyway
  • mafery
    mafery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I did it this year with my sister. i am a runner so for me it was easy, well except for crawling part. My knees hurt. My sister, she is not a runner and only train for a mile prior and she had to walk a lot. I say run 3 miles training, no need to go balls out. It was more fun when I did it with my sister, even if I did walk. The pictures were the best! Dress up and just have fun!
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Are you in MN? I am doing the one in MN June/July. It will be my first time. Have you ever done it?
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Are you in MN? I am doing the one in MN June/July. It will be my first time. Have you ever done it?
    yup! MN here! It will be my first one too. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Different locations have different obstacles and courses. And any obstacle that's too hard, you can skip. I was fine with the rope wall, and the cargo net is no more difficult than climbing a ladder, but I skipped some of the little 4 foot walls because it was slippery and I'm short, and it was early on in the race and I didn't want to hurt myself in the first half mile. :wink:

Even as far as the running goes, it would still be loads of fun if you hiked instead of ran.

Just do it. And you'll have so much fun you'll want to do it again. :smile:
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I did it in August & LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT! There were people of all walks of life & condition, you will be ok. You don’t have to run the darn thing, you can walk it. You just need to finish it. It was the best thing I ever did! I’m already signed up for next year.

I’m a runner & our course was a lot or up & down hill running. I really wasn’t prepared for that part; I usually run on flat ground. I breezed through the obstacles because I have done P90X. They really weren’t that hard. Just take your time with it.

Find someplace you can run up & down hills if your course is like ours. Maybe a woods with ravines you have to maneuver up & down. I also climbed all over the local playground, monkey bars, etc. Build a little upper body strength to pull yourself up & over obstacles. You can go to the library & find a DVD that will help you there. Pump out some pushups everyday. If you can only do 5, then do 5. Just do some, it will help.

Drink LOTS of water before & lots of beer afterwards! Oh…, & have fun!
  • pegesam
    pegesam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is an absolute blast of a 5K run/challenge course....
    There's been comments to go to the Warrior Dash site and see what they recommend, but a client and I did this in the weeks up to the Warrior Dash in Conroe. I'm a trainer at a gym, so I have access to machines. If not machines, go to a kid's play park
    Upper body is key to gettting this done so -- assisted dips, pullups, pushups
    Lower body and core squats, lunges, lat pulls, shoulder presses, lateral raises,
    If you go to a gym, hit the stair climber on a speed comfy for you-- skipping every other "stair"
    Hit the playground and get busy on the monkey bars and walking teeter totters (carefully ). If you have access to a sand pit at that play ground, jog the perimeter (it will help you to be ready for the feel of walking in the mud)
    The day of the dash
    Wear training gloves to keep the hands protected.
    If you don't like water on your face, wear swimming goggles or have access to them in a pocket. And be ready for mud to be in places you never thought mud could get! Have a blast!
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first one and it was tough. Not the obstacles, but the "running". Mine was a lot of hiking up and down hills. I walked most of it but I finished!!
    We are going to do another next year and I plan on training for it but doing some running, but lots of hiking.

Good luck and Have fun!!!!!!!!!!
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Did my first one a few weeks ago! It was awesome! They do have training tips on their website. I would say running and upper body strength are very important. Drink lots of water 24 hours before. Some other things I didnt think of....a towel and baby wipes would have been nice. It's hard to eat your turkey legs then you have gravel and mud everywhere! They ran out of water to spray us off with and we had to wait for fire trucks to come in before we could wash off. Wear tight clothing (non cotton). My clothes just sucked up the mud. I ended up walking around in my undies cause my pants were just caked with it and about twice as big as they were before the mud pit. I skipped 3 obstacles but I finished it, even at 240 pounds! Next year, I'm gonna rock it!
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It depends on your course! I can easily and happily run 5 miles any day. But I ran maybe only 1/2 mile total of Warrior Dash because it was straight up and down a ski slope. I've seriously already started running hills to train for next August's Dash.
    I didn't find upper body strength to be THAT big of an issue-- it definitely is necessary, but nothing is that difficult if you try. Height is also a huge advantage, but that is an area in which I am seriously deficient! But I completely every obstacle without a single problem.

Also, running the whole time doesn't matter. It's about having fun, being challenged, and doing it as hard as you can. If you need to walk, then take a break! But it's just so much fun overall :]