ridges in your nails

Options
someone told me that ridges in your nails means that you arent eating enough. my nails are full of ridges and always have been for as long as i can remeber. does anyone know if what i was told is correct or not?

Replies

• FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose
    Options
    never heard of this.. I have ridges and so does my mom and grandma.. I'm assuming its just a genetic thing
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Ridges along the length of the nail, or side to side?

Ridges along the length is either genetics, trauma to the finger/nailbed, or caused by a fungus.

Ridges side to side may be malnutrition (not just a shortness of calories), a vitamin or mineral deficiency, a change in hormones, deficiency in protein, etc. I recall there being supplements that address those issues. Lets google and see what we get.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    LMGTFY... which way are the ridges? horizontal or vertical?

http://www.azteenmagazine.com/nail-care.php?article=320
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Vertical lines are normal... you probably just hit it somewhere.

Horizontal lines.. not so good. I'm assuming you're talking about these. Yes it's associated with malnutrition and some other possible diseases. I would go see my doctor. If you've been in a calorie deficit for too long, it could just mean you need to eat more for awhile, but don't take my words fully... I'm not a healthcare professional, just my suggestion.
  • chubbyandawkward
    Options
    Mine are incredibly ridgy (horizontally) since I walked 40 miles for charity :3
    I know that in horses, ridges in the hooves indicate a change in diet within the last six months. Perhaps it's just that?
  • lucylue21
    lucylue21 Posts: 214
    Options
    mine are verdical. like the are in the direction that my nails grow. i never even thought of them being the other way. i guess i am okay if they are that way. my nails are just so thin and riged i thought i would ask!
  • sharishar
    sharishar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have ridges in my nails through damage to the nail bed, as someone previously stated this is the case, mine was through wearing false nails and it takes ages for them to heel. Not sure if they ever do.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I have ridges in my nails through damage to the nail bed, as someone previously stated this is the case, mine was through wearing false nails and it takes ages for them to heel. Not sure if they ever do.

Have had them since I took off my false nails as well...had them when I was eating too much, and still have them now that I'm eating healthier.

Sometimes people get a dip in their finger or toe nails when there's some sort of trauma in their life. My husband had deep ridges in his toe nails for a year after finding our friend who had committed suicide...but they eventually grew out.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    mine is a genetic issue
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Psoriasis can cause this at times as well.
  • blairfowler
    Options
    I had them when I was anemic (low in iron), maybe you should get your iron checked?
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I had the horizontal ones when I was the most stressed I'd ever been in my life. We won't talk about that.

Now I have some of the vertical ones, but it's definitely not from under eating. We won't talk about that either.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I had the horizontal ones when I was the most stressed I'd ever been in my life. We won't talk about that.

Now I have some of the vertical ones, but it's definitely not from under eating. We won't talk about that either.

You just did talk about that.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    Dehydration.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Vertical ridges in your nails is nothing to worry about and is common. However, horizontal ridges should be brought to the attention of your doctor to see if you have an underlying health condition.
  • katejolee
    katejolee Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had horizontal ridges on mine last year for a month or two and it was down to a massive amount of stress. Your 40 mile walk might have caused some sort of physical stress you didn't notice ?
    If your not sure about it see your doctor x