I need some meal ideas

Options
Hey everyone,

I need some meal tips ... I do my usual meal plan every week with various low fat/diet recipes from various sources, but I find that I only end up getting dinner meals.

So, I want some suggestions for a good, filling, but healthy breakfast. I usually eat cheerios and a fruit of some sort, but I'm getting tired of that.

I'm also a student on a tight budget, so simple things are ideal.

I look forward to any tips! Thanks!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs- cheap and simple. Add a slice of whole grain toast and you have a filling meal.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    I eat a cup of generic oatmeal or a "Eat Good, Look Great - Pure Protein Bar". Each are filling, low fat and VERY affordable. The oats are a couple bucks for a container and it lasts 2 or 3 weeks. The bars are less than a buck apiece. Both come from Wal-Mart.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is cheap and filling!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs- cheap and simple. Add a slice of whole grain toast and you have a filling meal.
    Second that. Also, you can order bulk nutrition bars on Amazon and they can be pretty cheap too.
  • kitkat415
    Options
    Smoothies with frozen fruit, V8 or soy milk and either silken tofu or some sort of nut butter for some protein... watch the serving sizes with nut butter though because calories add up fast on this one.
    Egg Beaters with some chopped up veggies. -- this is my favorite if I have the time.
    Greek Yogurt with fresh fruit or honey (again watch the serving size).
    This one is odd, but quinoa made the night before with some frozen fruit mixed in, in the morning is surprisingly delicious and filling.
  • Kellytina
    Options
    I eat Oatmeal almost every day, I buy the big jugs and add different fruits. Super cheap and super filling!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I like to make a breakfast sandwich on an English muffin, with a scrambled egg or some egg whites (prepared in the microwave for convenience), a bit of ham/turkey/bacon/cheese or whatever, and a bit of spinach and tomato.
  • pinknsassyemt
    pinknsassyemt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1 cup Chobani- I get them 10/$10 a lot or look for coupons
    1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crunch mixed it - @2.99 a box

Super filling, and a ton of protein.

I do a hard boiled egg x2, and 1 piece of Sara Lee Hearty Bread Whole Wheat w/ Apple Butter or Pumpkin Butter

2 egg whites scrambeled w/ onions/peppers/mushrooms w/ Toast

Lunch-

1 pkt Tuna mixed with 2 tablespoons Wholly Guacamole, onion and tomato on Flat Out Bread toasted (dry grilled in frying pan)

A few of my favorites.
  • brynakrauth
    Options
    Dice an apple and top with 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt. So delicious and fills you up for the morning. This also makes a great afternoon snack.
  • Abbey70
    Abbey70 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I will eat low fat yogurt with whole wheat toast and a fruit or oatmeal with whole wheat toast and fruit. Another thing I like to do is make breakfast smoothies using frozen fruits, bananas, apples, etc. Just use your imagination for what you would like in a smoothie.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whole grain toast with nut butter or egg, oatmeal, other cereals, fruit. Stir fry an egg with brown rice and a little onion.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I like eggs with spinach and toast. I'm also a college student but if you have a kitchen (I do), you'll be amazed at all you can do. I make bread 1-2 times a week, and only eat one meal from the cafeteria every day so I make quite a bit of food.
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't usually have alot of time to fix breakfast, but for lunch I love to do Tuna and cut up grapes and put in one half of a pita bread, with a little lite mayo or you may want to substitute may for vanilla yogurt. yum
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    All of these meals sound delicious! Thanks again everyone and I will definitely be trying some if not all of these!
  • sadi12
    sadi12 Posts: 1
    Options
    I like low fat yogurt with a 1/2 serving of Grape Nuts. The creamy, crunchy texture is very satisfying.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    breakfast-hard boiled eggs, toast, oatmeal with some semisweet choco chips, a protien shake
    LUNCH- baked potato when im lazy, I just bring a whole potato to work and microwave it for about 6 minutes, lean cuisine, subway
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Breakfasts:
    1. High fiber cereal with some fruit and a few nuts: apples, berries, dried cherries, banana and walnuts or almonds (about 2 tbls of of dried fruits and nuts or 1 serving of fresh fruit.) My favorite ceral is the the High fiber o's from Trader joes.
    2. Greek or plain yogurt with fresh fruit or frozen fruit (if using frozen fruit, just use plain yogurt. All of that water changes the texture anyway. You can approximate greek yogurt by straining regular plain yogurt (as long as it doesn't have any added thickeners) in a coffee filter lined strainer. Top with granola and/or a few nuts. The great thing about this breakfast is you can prep it for all week and grab and go when you are ready (I wait to add the granola day of)
    3. English muffin with peanut butter and banana and cinnamon
    4. Avocado toast (optional, with tomato). . Toast your favorite whole grain bread, mash half an avocado with salt, pepper or cayenne, and squeeze some lemon or lime.
    5. Oatmeal: I like to mix mine up with plain oatmeal (steel cut is great), some dried fruit or chopped apple, 2 tbls of chopped nuts, vanilla extract, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and maybe a little sweetener. If you use steelcut oats, mix this up overnight and top with milk, milk substitute or water. (I use almond milk). The next morning, the cook time won't be nearly as long as cooking the steel cut oats from scratch. Depending on your preferred texture, you can add the liquid the night before.
    6. Scrambled eggs on whole grain toast with mixed greens or spinach (make your eggs with a tbls of freshly grated hard cheese like parmesan or pecorino or dry jack or aged gouda.

These are my typical ones. About 4-5 days a week I have greek yogurt + fruit
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - 2/3 cup canned pumpkin (not pie mix!) plus 1/2 a cup Greek yogurt, sweetener of your liking (honey/maple syrup/splenda what ever!) or pumpkin with cottage cheese (you don't need sweetener but try adding Cinnamon to this!)

Scrambled egg with half a slice of cheese, and a small handful of fresh spinach (and maybe some basil) all tossed in a hot skillet.

Vanilla yogurt instead of milk with your favorite cereal.

Chocolate Greek yogurt with fresh fruit

If I'm in a hurry I'll go through the McDonald's drive through and get an egg Muffin and not eat the muffin.

Hope that helps!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Try cooking a big pot of steel cut oats (usually available for under $2 a lb in the bulk food section of the grocery store) in only water and portion them out in the fridge. Nuke them with your favorite toppings each morning. I like mixing in a little plain canned pumpkin puree, cinnamon and splenda... delicious, filling and nutritious