Anyone do the 17 Day Diet?

Options
Just wondering... I am stuck big time at a plateau. My daughter suggested the 17 Day thing and gave me the book. It seems like pretty much what I am doing now though, except for I am sure I am way over in sugar items since I snarf up a lot of WW cookies and stuff.

Any opinions?

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Well here's a bump, because I am not sure what the 17 day diet is..
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    don't...you'll gain it all back...none of those diets every work long term. try bumping up your calories (sounds counter intuitive but it works) or add strength training or a different workout into your routine :)
  • horizonflight
    Options
    Well here's a bump, because I am not sure what the 17 day diet is..

This diet is based on a book/DVD program during which you will be on a strict eating plan for 17 days. After 17 days, you will switch your eating plan to a new eating plan for another 17 days, after which you will, once again switch your eating plan for another 17 days. The idea behind this is what's called "metabolic confusion". Once your body has adjusted to eating one plan, you change the eating plan up, and the body naturally boosts its metabolism to compensate for a new plan it is not familiar with. It will do this with each cycle. You're supposed to be able to lose 12 lbs every 17 days. Check this site out: http://www.squidoo.com/17-day-diet-expose-page

I don't think that you should go with this plan. Sounds like you'll be restricted to what you eat based on what the book says. You should be able to choose what you want to eat and then moderate that into your caloric intake. It's difficult to work off a book schedule since you must remember to include places you'll be where it might not be possible to eat the recommended meal for the diet. Plus, a diet is just that, a diet. After the 4th cycle where do you go? How do you maintain? It must be a lifestyle change in my opinion.

If you're stuck on a plateau, then consider changing something in your routine. Possibly increasing your calorie deficit/exercising more or doing different exercises.
  • RunG2010
    Options
    17 day diet is a lifestyle change. Here is a thread about it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/with_user/3180039

Please do not comment about a diet if you do not understand it. Most diets work. It is if you go back to how you were eating before that the weight goes back up.

I am loving it!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    17 day diet is a lifestyle change. Here is a thread about it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/with_user/3180039

Please do not comment about a diet if you do not understand it. Most diets work. It is if you go back to how you were eating before that the weight goes back up.

I am loving it!

funny, i understand that most diets DONT work because most people go back to how they were eating. k thanks. the only thing that works for long term loss is consistent healthy eating and exercise. don't treat me (or anyone else on this thread) like idiots. i've tried every diet out there and the only thing that works that has helped me lose 30 pounds and keep it off is eating right and exercise.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine did it for the first 17 days, and lost ten pounds. She found it too restrictive and unrealistic to stick with the guidelines and didn't do the next phase. Personally it isn't something I'd do but I'm sure it's doable for some.
  • RunG2010
    Options
    It is not the diet it is going back to the way you were eating. If you read the 17 day diet book you would have noticed it is a life style not a temporary diet thing. Eating lean meats and non starchy vegetables, fruit and staying away from the processed food. He also suggests increasing your exercise. His plan is just much easier to follow and stick with. You have to want it and know there are some things that have to be limited. I have had better results then any diet I have ever tried and I have tried them all. I am sorry you felt like you were being treated like and idiot,

The OP's question was:
    " I would like to know some of the weight loss or inches lost on the 17 Day Diet if anyone has used that as a tool for weight loss. Also just a question, it does not mention drinking milk, at least in the first cycle, is it permitted? No milk but lots of yogurt and keifer.. There are some who have continued to drink milk and had success with weight loss."

I am down 24 pounds and I am on Cycle 3 Day 8 (40 days of following the plan). I have also kicked and addiction to diet coke, dropped 2 meds and lowered dosage of one.

After 20 years of trying different diets my experience is that no matter how you lose it, if you go back to eating the way you were, it will come back.` The 17 day diet is a lifestyle change that starts with 17 day cycles.
  • TaraLawrence11
    TaraLawrence11 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am on day 5 of the 17 day diet and have lost 5 pounds. I have been calorie counting and working out since February and have lost 45 pounds since last October. I plateau'd BIGTIME.....for 13 weeks trying everything to get the scale moving again and all but giving up. I decided to try this diet and the scale is once again moving for me again...I am loving this diet as I want/need to lose 15-20 pounds before my wedding in November. I think that if you READ the book and FOLLLOW the diet it WILL work. I am happy with the results so far!! GOOD LUCK!! In my opinion it is worth a try!!
  • Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Im trying it!