C25K

Options
I started the program yesterday and luckily have my wonderful fiance on board as well so I have someone to hold me accountable. He is a very motivated person and wants to do day 2 today!

So, when you were doing the program, how many days did you have between each workout? What did you do on your days when you didn't do C25K? I want to work out as much as I can, but I also know I need to give my body some time off, too.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Doing day 2 today is a very bad idea. Don't do it. You may feel you're ready cardio-wise but you really need to give your knees and ankles a chance to catch up to your heart and lungs. I've seen too many posts of people complaining of shin splints or hurt knees because they've just started running and are doing it every day. There's a real reason they tell you to only run every other day and it's wisest to heed that advice.

On your days in between do either strength work (weights) or a low-impact form of cardio such as biking, swimming or even walking.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    ^ this. I'm on week 5 and still only do every other day even though for two years prior to that I was heavy into kickboxing, piloxing, strength training and pretty much anything but running, started C25K for a new challenge and I love it! I have tried doing two days in a row and my results were awful, I find if I run every other day and do something light on off days, then my next run is faster and I feel better afterwards.
  • jaydens_momma
    Options
    Thanks!

I didn't think it was the wisest of ideas. He is always good a pushing himself too much and then getting hurt. I may do yoga and walking on my days off. Any suggestions for strength exercises?? I have some hand weights that have been collecting dust lately! Ooops!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I didn't think it was the wisest of ideas. He is always good a pushing himself too much and then getting hurt. I may do yoga and walking on my days off. Any suggestions for strength exercises?? I have some hand weights that have been collecting dust lately! Ooops!

lol! Body weight exercises do wonders for your strength! Think push-ups, squats, lunges, tri-cep dips etc. Google body weight exercises and you'll get tons of ideas. When body weight starts to become easy then add weights. Good luck!
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in July and ran every other day. I've had problems with knee pain in the past but that was because I was trying to run every day. Every other day worked great and I haven't had a problem; I now run 30 minutes every other day.

On the off days, sometimes I do a weights video, sometimes I just take a long walk, sometimes I do 30 minutes of yoga and sometimes I don't do a damn thing. :)
  • jaydens_momma
    Options
    I started C25K in July and ran every other day. I've had problems with knee pain in the past but that was because I was trying to run every day. Every other day worked great and I haven't had a problem; I now run 30 minutes every other day.

On the off days, sometimes I do a weights video, sometimes I just take a long walk, sometimes I do 30 minutes of yoga and sometimes I don't do a damn thing. :)

Haha! That sounds like a good idea to me!