I need a lot of guidance

Options
I am a 23 year old female. I weigh 274lbs and I'm just unhealthy. I don't mind being big but walking to the mailbox is winding me anymore. I start diets then I just don't stick to them. There is no real excuse I just don't. I need motivation and help along the way and since I work 60 hours a week I don't get it. I don't have a ton of friends because I don't want the same things most people my age do. I am working on my career, but my goal is not to get rich. I want to make a difference in peoples lives. I don't party, I like intellegent conversation, but I am silly, and I hate large crowds. All these things together mean I have a very quiet lonely life. I know we are supposed to have all this great will power and magically like nothing but vegetable, but that is not me. I have a sweet tooth and I LOVE breads of any kind. With all these things stacked against me I have had a hard time losing weight. I have decided though that there are no excuses and I and my boyfriend are holding me accountable. I am ready and very willing to lose weight. I will just need a lot of help along the way. OK enough blabbering.

Replies

• cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It takes a strong woman to admit she has a problem. You can so do this! I am in your corner!
  • We have the same weaknesses....bread and sweets....uh it's a daily battle for me
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    I'm a bread and sweets girl too! I'd be happy to help you out any way I can! I'll send you a friend request!

Start out with little things, keep track of what you eat, be honest about it. See where you're eating poorly or too much. And commit to moving at least twice a week. No one is going to expect you to run around the block every day, but I'm sure we can find some time in your busy week to get some exercise in!

Maybe start out by telling us what your typical week is like - when you spend time with your boyfriend what do the two of you like to do together?
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision to change some things up! I also love breads and sweets and sometimes the craving is so strong, it's hard to resist. But, that being said, I also find that if I can stay away from these items for a few days, the cravings go away. I would be happy to help support and motivate you....you can friend me if you want. You can do this...take it one day at atime...and log everything! Good luck to you!
    Carol
  • elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm in your corner too, I love bread :)

If I can help, give me a shout x
  • MadPanda75
    MadPanda75 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I think you can do this!
  • JuliePete
    Options
    I have found that even a little think like switching to 35 calorie wheat bread lets me have the bread I want, and is better for me than the white bread I was eating. For the sweets...skinny cow brand has some good things out and are fewer calories. I have also found that even if they aren't "diet" foods, things like ice cream bars are better for me than just a carton of ice cream since they are preportioned. Invest in a food scale that will give you several choices for weights. It has made a HUGE difference in how I eat.
  • JuliePete
    Options
    Here is a good recipe for some brownie like cupcakes that are WONDERFUL!!!! Use 1 Devil's Food Cake mix and 1 15 oz. can of pumpkin (that is ALL). Mix together (use a mixer it is easier). Divide into lined or sprayed muffin tins. (I used a large table spoon and put heaping spoonfuls in the tin) I was able to get 21 muffins out of mine and they ended up being 107 cal. for 1. And they are REALLY good.
  • JuliePete
    Options
    Here is a good recipe for some brownie like cupcakes that are WONDERFUL!!!! Use 1 Devil's Food Cake mix and 1 15 oz. can of pumpkin (that is ALL). Mix together (use a mixer it is easier). Divide into lined or sprayed muffin tins. (I used a large table spoon and put heaping spoonfuls in the tin) I was able to get 21 muffins out of mine and they ended up being 107 cal. for 1. And they are REALLY good.

You need to bake them @ 400 for 15-20 min.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    You can do this! It takes a lot of courage to even start something like this and admit everything that you just did! You're already on the way! If you'd like, you can friend me and I will absolutely support and do my best to motivate you!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's great that you have your boyfriend for support!

You sound a bit like me with the history of failed attempts - so I'll tell you the one thing that made a difference for me this time around is trying to keep it real. Every change I make, I think "can I do this for the long haul?". It occurred to me that on previous attempts, I'd deprive myself of certain things (like chocolate or pizza) and then obsess about those things to the point of giving up so I could just enjoy the food I liked regardless of the consequences.

This time, I'm learning to make changes for the long run which means I'm still eating the foods I enjoy, just tweaking them a little. I've kept many of our favorite recipes in the loop or found similar, lighter versions. The tweaking involved things like leaner meats (or lowering the amount in the recipe), more veggies, healthier pastas, etc. And for the rest, I execise to earn the extra calories and have learned to keep my portions in check.
  • anneke123456
    Options
    add me if you wish. :)
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

I am sooo making this!
  • NorthernCally
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! As a few people have said, the key is to find little things that you can do (once in a while to start with; you can develop them as habits gradually). If you work or live in a building, try taking the stairs. (It doesn't have to be 8 flights up and down for it to count. Start with a flight or two.) Use a sandwich plate for dinner. (I started doing that at the beginning of summer, and have found that I got used to eating less at night.) You don't have to eat all vegetables, but even just adding a little of o n e kind will be healthier. Drink more water; it does help fill you up, and flush out your system.

For one of the tough parts: sweets. I LOVE my chocolate, ice cream, cakes (and other baked goods)...pretty much all of it. Try portioning it. I have had some success with the 100 cal packs of cookies, etc. If you absolutely will not say "no", find the king size of your favourite chocolate bar (or other obsession), and split it into 3 (or 4) smaller portions. Then YOU have to decide to only have one. Or get recipes that call for less sugar. Whichever you do, log it ALL. Be honest with it. You can keep your diary private, if you are not comfortable letting other people know what you're scarfing. Just remember: At the end of the day, other members are here to encourage you. There are a lot of very supportive people on this site, (some cheerleaders, some who will kick your butt when you need it!!), all of whom are pulling for your success (as you saw in the number of responses to your post)! Feel free to add me if you want!
  • ratcuddler
    Options

I love to bake so I am excited to try this. I am going to need to learn other recepies like this.
  • sarahsedaii
    sarahsedaii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me! I think you can do it! I sort of kinda did the diet and sort of kind of did the exercise. I thought I was doing a job, but when I signed up for a local 5k, I was wrong. I was so winded and miserable, that it really gave me a wake up call. I started akins, which is not for everyone, but I have found a lot of success. I think it is easier for me to to say no to everything than it is to say to a few things. I hope you get it! Feel free to add me if you need support.