Vegan Cookbooks?/Low Calorie Vegan Ice Cream

Options
It seems that most vegans are magically skinny. As a vegan who isn't that lucky, I've had trouble finding vegan cookbooks that include nutrition facts, specifically the # of calories per serving. The only one I've managed to find is Skinny B*tch, and I don't have the time to make the recipes in it. It would prefer a cookbook that wasn't super reliant on soy products, but I'm willing to accept just about anything with simple, easy recipes and calorie counts at this point.

If no such book exists, can my fellow herbivores please share their favorite low-cal vegan recipes?

On a side note, I am SO envious of my omnivore friends who get to eat 150 calorie pints of ice cream. All the vegan ice cream I've been able to find, with the exception of sorbet, is super high calorie. Are there any companies that make low calorie vegan ice creams/desserts/food?

Muchas Gracias!

Replies

• QuietAnimals
    Options
    Hi,

I'm also a non-skinny vegan.

I like Carb-Conscous Vegetarian by Robin Robertson. It has nutritional information/calorie count. Also, Appetite for Reduction is a low-fat vegan cookbook by Isa Chandra Moschowitz (I don't have it, but have some of her other cookbooks.)

Sorry- don't know of any low cal vegan ice creams!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Is'nt Artic Zero vegan? I thought it said that on the label but I could be wrong.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan but I have a lot of vegan cookbooks. Isa's Appetite for Reduction" is amazing and low cal. In fact, I usually up her 1 tsp of olive oil for sauteeing to 1 tbsp and still have low calorie meals. I also have her Veganomicon which is very tasty too but not as much on the low fat side.

Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen is nice as well, and you can cut back on the oil on the recipes and still get good results. I'll be making the butternut squash gnocchi from that again once it cools off here. The bottle beans are marvelous. All of these have a lot of recipes that utilize whole foods - fresh produce, grains, beans, tofu, and tempeh. I've been cooking from then quite a bit lately.

Had to edit this because I just thought of a few more. Chicago Diner is a wonderful vegetarian/vegan restaurant in, obviously Chicago, and they have a cookbook. It has the comfort foods like hash, biscuits and gravy, etc and I think mostly vegan. La Dolce Vegan is a good cookbook, and if you want to make treats now and then, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.

For websites a current favorite is Peas and Thank You (peasandthankyou.com), the post punkk kitchen (theppk.com), and an oldie but goodie, ivu.org. (International Vegetarian Union) The recipe button is on the right for the last one and it has vegetarian and vegan recipes from around the world. Hope this helps.
  • nevadjinn
    nevadjinn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero has whey, which comes from milk :(
  • nevadjinn
    Options
    I'll have to check those out... Do Appetite for Reduction and Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen include calorie counts?
  • nevadjinn
    Options
    Hi,

I'm also a non-skinny vegan.

I like Carb-Conscous Vegetarian by Robin Robertson. It has nutritional information/calorie count. Also, Appetite for Reduction is a low-fat vegan cookbook by Isa Chandra Moschowitz (I don't have it, but have some of her other cookbooks.)

Sorry- don't know of any low cal vegan ice creams!

Thank you so much! I'll definitely check that one out. And I've been trying to cut back on the simple carbs, so that's an added benefit :)
  • nevadjinn
    Options
    bump
  • natersmama
    Options
    as far as cookbooks go, i use vegweb.com and use the recipe builder on MFP. it takes time, but i eat a lot of the same things. and ice cream, i buy chocolate ice cream by so delicious. its the only thing i can find at walmart. its dairy and soy free. but if you arent a fan of coconut, i wouldnt buy it. it has a subtle coconut taste with the chocolate. =)
  • TrekkerCynthia
    Options
    I can't remember if they have calorie counts but it only takes about 5 minutes to input the ingredients into the recipe builder here. It's when you try to save to the community that you have to worry about typing in instructions. I've been adding them to my recipe catalog and sharing with the community, but I don't know if they are allowing us access to each others yet. If they are, then look for the Tamarind Lentils and the Caribbean Black-Eyed Peas by TechnoSwami. If you do get these cookbooks I can let you know what I have entered and get you the nutritional values.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    Options
    And I understand about the time issue, I'm a busy grad student. But I finally decided this is worth the extra time, take away from my tv watching if necessary, lol. These recipes are so good and they make it so much easier to stay on track, at least for me. So it's worth it to enter the info so you get the whole nutritional profile. The recipe entry only gets cumbersome when you decide to save to the community as well. Then you have to retype the ingredients and type in the instructions.
  • nevadjinn
    Options
    Thanks a million :smile:
  • ranature
    ranature Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I love happyherbivore.com and the happy herbivore cookbook!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    My favorite Vegan cookbooks are Vegan with a vengence, How it all vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer and Garden of Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer

Very simple recipes. . .I just put them in the recipe calculator on here and then viola. . I can use it from then on whenever I eat that item. .

Best of luck to you!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You can always make that one-ingredient ice "cream" from bananas!

1) peel banana
    2) freeze banana
    3) blend banana

It's pretty tasty, if you like bananas.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    You can always make that one-ingredient ice "cream" from bananas!

1) peel banana
    2) freeze banana
    3) blend banana

It's pretty tasty, if you like bananas.

Agreed. Banana "ice cream" is fantastic. I eat it plain or with add ins like strawberries, peanut butter, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder. Great, healthy night time snack!
  • elli0702
    Options
    The 30 Day Vegan Challenge book has some pretty amazing recipes. Most can be done in a crockpot so they are quick. Very few rely on soy and most are pretty cheap to make. One suggestion the author has is to cut up all your veggies the day you buy them (for about an hour or so on Sundays for me), which makes the actual cooking part during the week very, very easy.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    There is a local place called Scream. The best sorbet ever. they do nut flavors that have the best texture. They sell packed pints locally. If you come to the Bay Area check it out. Do you have any local people that make sorbet? I find those are better than any packages stuff.

Baring that, the mini ice cream sandwiches from SoDelicious are yummy. Especially in the coconut milk ice cream variety. It is better than the soy version. Each sandwich is 150 calories. They are available in Whole Foods. There is another brand I believe called cocobliss that also has a similar product.

http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/product.php?p=so_delicious_cm_minis_vanilla_sandwich
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Eating Well has so many great recipes. I'd recommend that site and filtering for vegan.

www.eatingwell.com
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have a STACK of vegan cookbooks and I still find better recipes at www.fatfreevegan.com.