What do you think of fat burner supplements ?

Options
Hi,
I don't want to start anyone on a marketing campaign. Just wondering about other peoples experiences and opinions on this topic.

I was at the Mr Olympia fitness expo in Septmeber. Going through the huge bag of freebies I found samples of a "thermogenic fat burner." I imagine there are many different brands out there. Anyone take any of them? Do they seem to have a real effect or is it such a miniscule impact that they aren't worth it?

My experience:
I have one week worth of the sample and took it for two days, but then life got in the way and I stopped. Though it felt like their claim of a revved up metabolism was working- slightly accelerated heartrate/ warmer than normal; mental clarity and alertness were good- no crashes between breakfast/lunch dose or lunch.overnight.breakfast dose; and the appetitie suppressant worked well- I wasn't thinking about food and it was easier to genuinely make nutrious choices.

But that was two days. I've been 'dieting' for two months and lost 5 pounds already. The only plateaus I've hit are when I've become lax on watching portions. So I'd say that the "fat burning" properties are minimal impact but that the appetite supressant was like a vacation for my mind. Downside of the one I tried (and likely of all the brands) is the caffine. I can handle the caffine while its in my system and while I didn't crash I certainly noticed on the 3rd day when I didn't take the pill- my whole body felt weird. A thrumming, like it was waiting for something. Which is what makes me a bit leery of the product.

-kate

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Well some may be of benefit while dieting, like you said some offer appetite suppression, but they will only slightly aid in weight loss, no pill can make up for not having your diet in check
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I would say be very careful if you take them. Speaking from personal experience, they can become very addictive and can cause your body's natural fat burning skills to get all kinds of jacked up and become resistant to the pills.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The only fat burning supplement that I have heard of that actually has some benefit was the ECA (ephedrine, caffeine, aspirin) stack. But I think Ephedrine is now illegal in the United States. I could be wrong.
  • kimmerc1331
    kimmerc1331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I too, wondered about this topic and scanned the message boards for infomation and then decided to take the plunge. I had hit a major plateau and couldnt kick start my weight loss regardless of what I tried- less cals, more cals, adding more strength, doing more cardio, etc. I actually went to my doctor because of this and got her blessing to start oxy pro elite, and got my blood levels checked at the same time. Labs showed that my thyroid was a bit slow and she prescribed me medication to help with it. At the same time, I was starting oxy pro, at low doses. I only took one pill a day. I did lose weight...my last few pounds that I could not lose so I was very happy but that could have been the thyroid meds too. The big thing I noticed with the fat burner, is that I was warmer and it did increase my heart rate so my workouts were better, with better burns. I have stopped now, but will probably cycle with them every few weeks.

I did not notice any additional mental clarity or appetite suppression.

Hope that helps~
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Isn't any effectiveness related to appetite suppression and NOT fat burning? Are there really supplements that reduce fat?

The stomach flu offers pretty good weight loss results too, you know.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Isn't any effectiveness related to appetite suppression and NOT fat burning? Are there really supplements that reduce fat?

LOL +1
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    The only fat burning supplement I recommend is exercise.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • chazzi1969
    Options
    I too am wondering about some of the Thermogenic Supplements. I work out 5-6 times a week doing cardio, weights etc. and I eat healthy and have reached a plateau. I read some really great reviews on the New Chapter Supercritical Diet and Energy - I feel like I just need something to kick start getting off those last 10 lbs.

With my workouts, I try to mix it up so that I am not doing the same things everyday.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    My usual opinion on things like that is that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Snake oil.... For those of you who think this might kick start something to help your weight loss - what do you think happens when you stop taking the pills? Your body will go back to its natural state of burning calories as it needs them and you might put the weight back on.

And I'm not just being a nay-sayer about this. I've taken them in the past thinking there was a magic pill that could help me lose the weight but of course they didn't really work because I still didn't eat right or exercise enough. And most of the time, they'd give me heart palpitations and make me irritable. Totally not worth it!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

I can vouch for the stomach flu. I was sick couple weeks ago for 2 days. lost 6lbs.! and haven't gained it back either! as for the fat burner supplements. never tried. never will.