What to freeze before winter???

Options
Looking for other cooks who are food savers- Who freezes veggies before winter? What are you saving?
I just did butternut squash today and will pack in freezer containers so that I can have the wonderfully sweet veggie all winter long.
What are you saving up on and freezing???

Stacey :)

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I freeze bell peppers!
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    tomatoes, just wash and cut them in half and freeze! sooooo easy
  • Andersonkj
    Andersonkj Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I just put zucchini in the freezer, some diced, some sliced, and some shredded for bread. I also froze several types of peppers, onions, carrots and green beans.
    597880 Posts: 6
    Options
    I freeze left over food that I have cooked into one serving bowls. When running late on time, I have a healthy frozen dinner. So far Chicken stir fry. Goulash, and stew. Just add a salad.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I just heard you can freeze spaghetti squash, too. Cook just a few minutes, cut into chunks and voila! All year round goodness.
  • tsuki_ryuu
    tsuki_ryuu Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Corn from corn on the cob. You cook the corn and then cut it from the cob. Then put it in some freezer bags for later.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I grow stuff that I mostly don't have to freezer, the potatoes I grow pretty well bring me through til at least planting season in the spring. If I had enough yield from my tomatoes (cold-frame / hoop house next year to extend the season) I'd be freezing some of them or at least making tomato sauces /salsa etc to can.

Peas and Beans are in the freezer though, beets are pickled and sitting in the pantry, raspberries are straight canned, frozen, and made into cooked Jam and freezer jam....
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    tomatoes, just wash and cut them in half and freeze! sooooo easy

What do you do with tomatoes out of the freezer?

Anyone do butternut?

Anyone something in bulk that is less expensive than the grocery store?

Thanks!
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    Anyone?
    Do you blanch?
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When I go to use the tomatoes I will do half spaghetti sauce then throw in some tomatoes to stretch it (thaw in the microwave or frying pan). Sometimes i will do garlic, spinach and tomatoes with a little pasta and chicken. They are a good way to reduce sodium in a winter meal but keeping the flavour
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    Thanks! Sounds great !
  • angelajiniel
    Options
    I blanch and freeze corn on the cob (I cut it off first though), can a plain tomato sauce, freeze peppers (no blanching needed) and can potatoes. I make a plain tomato sauce that I can make into a lot of different things later. I also can potatoes to make quick and easy fried potatoes. They mostly cook during the canning process, so it's a lot faster to make them later. I also usually shred and can freeze zucchini, but I still have a bunch from last year! Same for green beans, though I usually can those. I don't really like beans, I just use them in soups and stews, so I don't need them fresh. Freezing is a great way to preserve them though. I've also dehydrated swiss chard, peppers, onions and chives, as well as a bunch of herbs. I usually don't freeze squash because they last a long time just as they are. In fact, I just baked two butternuts yesterday that were from my garden last year, and they were great! I've also frozen peaches and berries and made applesauce that can be either frozen or canned. Preserving food when it's fresh is a great way to stay away from the processed stuff during the winter!
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    In fact, I just baked two butternuts yesterday that were from my garden last year, and they were great! I've also frozen peaches and berries and made applesauce that can be either frozen or canned. Preserving food when it's fresh is a great way to stay away from the processed stuff during the winter!

from last year??? I don't have the space in my apartment to keep whole butternuts, but I'm getting a lot from my aunt's farm and cooking, and putting in freezer safe containers :)

Thanks for the response! So nice!
  • angelajiniel
    Options
    Yup, last year! I have a basement that's basically a cellar in spots, so I can keep food down there. I was surprised myself they were still good. Spaghetti squash doesn't last as long though, I've learned :(
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    i bought corn on the cob from farmer's market. Shucked it and stuck it in a freezer bag just like that. Also black eyed peas, and new potatoes with green beans. When the new potatoes thaw they seem just a little mushy, but when I threw it all in the crock pot and cooked all day they tasted just awesome for dinner!