Curves?

Options
I need advice on working out. I am 11 days away from being done with the 30 DS (tonight is day 10 level 2) and the only other thing I have available to me is my elliptical. I'm not sure if joining a gym is in my budget at this time but I was wondering if Curves is a good workout/good value for the money?

If so, why?

If not, what is something else you would suggest?

Point of reference.....I'm a working mom of 2 and the only time I have to exercise is from the time I get off of work until I pick them up which gives me from about 3:45/4pm til about 5 pm. Not much time. If I miss the exercise then I then do it at 8 pm after the kids are in bed so DVDs are working for me.

Replies

• Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I *personally* feel Curves is for very intro level beginners... Again.... just my personal opinion, others may feel differently. I tried it once and for me, I was just bored out of my mind and didnt feel like I got a workout at all.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I suggest other workout DVD's if a Gym is not in your budget and jogging
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Do you like step aerobics? If so, I really like Cathe's Intensity DVD. It has 30 mins step portion and then it has HIIT and then it has boot camp. You can mix them as you want or do the whole thing. I saw someone else mention Amy Dixon's Super Fit Bod today. I haven't tried it, but it looks awesome (it's now on my wish list). Check out collagevideo.com for other options. They have a preview of every video and tons of reviews that can help you find something you might like.

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/cathe-friedrichs-intensity-5908

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/amy-dixons-super-fit-bod-5834

Good luck!!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I agree. I've been a member of two different Curves centers, and while it was a good start, after about 2-3 months, it was too easy. Try to find a gym with a variety of machines to use, such as ellipticals, treadmills, bikes, etc. If you can't do a gym, look for a variety of DVDs. Some people on here are really pushing the P90X, saying it's a great workout and you don't get bored with it. You can also buy Zumba DVDs, which could also be a nice change of pace, too.
  • catlover98611
    catlover98611 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did Slender Lady for 2 years because of the contract fees....similar to Curves....there are so many options open to you.....I loved the fitness channel through my cable provider....try something like that too. PS I would not go back to Slender Lady or Curves: they seem to be for people who want to "play" losing weight, like the people in my TOPS group from two years ago, but I never saw anyone there that really lost weight successfully.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    My wife did Curves for a few years. I would agree with the assessment that it's more for beginners. All of their machines are based on hydraulic resistance which unfortunately means it is very easy to not get a very good workout. From what my wife describes it becomes more of a social hour. Now granted she would come home sweating and she was fairly successful with it, but if you're looking for a good *kitten*-kickin' you'll probably not find it there.
  • AuntieEm79
    Options
    I joined the ymca (not sure where you are located, to know if you have one near you)...I like it because you can workout anytime, plus the kids can get involved! i go through the day, and then we all go as a family at night to go swimming, plus there child minding is free, whereas goodlife isn't, not sure about curves.

I do agree about curves being boring though, i went for a trial, and even that couldn't keep my interest. and you don't get to do as much, they have you set up on the 30 min workout where you switch machines constantly...just doesn't seem worth the price to me.
  • Biglovelovesme
    Biglovelovesme Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I joined curves about 4 years ago so it is possible that it has changed a bit since then, however, I found the circuit there very low impact and not much of a work out. I continued out the year that I committed to but supplemented with tennis and rowing. I would look to another DVD if I were you.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    go to www.bodyrock.tv and follow along. its free and the workouts are great. if you like them, buy Zuzana some coffee to show your appreciation.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I would say depending on your budget, stick with the DVDs. Jillian Michaels has other DVDs which I love (Ripped in 30 is similar but different to 30DS, No More Trouble Zones, Banish Fat/Boost Metabolism) and are all less than $10 each and range from 20-40 mins. If you find money in your budget, and have extra time to support longer workouts, I'd suggest P90X, Insanity, Turbo Fire, Zumba, etc. over a gym membership any day. The one time price may be a bit to swallow, but the long term cost savings is well worth it, and as someone said, they don't get boring! I mix up my routine such that it includes workouts from P90X, Insanity, Jillian Michaels, etc. to keep my muscles guessing and my interest piqued. Hope this helps!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I would say curves is for beginners. You could probably join a snap or anytime fitness for the same money. Otherwise, I'd say invest in other dvds.