Lifting Weights

Options
Why don't we get calories burned for lifting weights?

Replies

• AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    You have to log it as cardio/weights for some reason. *shrugs*
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    It's kinda weird eh?

Doesn't take into account your body burning/recovering afterwards for a few hours (or days).

I'm still happy, cause I look towards building muscle, not losing fat.

They do have weight/strength training but I find the numbers a little low.
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    you do. log under cardio. search weight lifting and enter how many minutes.
  • bethtamburri
    Options
    if you look under most frequently ask questions you'll find your answer. i think the site should figure how to acomdate weight lifting. becasue when i put it under cardio the number i got back i know wasn't right.
  • hbkanumalla
    hbkanumalla Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I believe that the weight lifting portion is just so you're aware of how much you have done while working out. That way you can track your reps, sets, and how much weight you used.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    if you look under most frequently ask questions you'll find your answer. i think the site should figure how to acomdate weight lifting. becasue when i put it under cardio the number i got back i know wasn't right.

use a heart rate monitor.
  • elmedus
    elmedus Posts: 18
    Options
    Because the amount of calories you burn when lifting weights varies according to so many things (etc if machine or free weights, what weight, how many reps,compound or isolation, the amount of muscle you have, if you are really lifting to failure, weight, sex etc)

It also doesnt take into account the after burn effect lifting weights has on your BMR (basal metabolic rate - amount of calories needed to survive) Lifting weights increases this level for many hours after, depending on how hard you worked.

Also the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn.

But, for a (very) rough guideline, within cardiovascular you can click on strength training and get the calories from there.

Hope this helps

Emma
  • paper_doll_
    Options
    I think using a HRM while doing strength training would give you a more accurate burn figure than using the settings on here, however it still won't take into account the afterburn.