Fun & Strength Training

Options
Is to possible to put both those words in the same sentence? I love cardio but to get the body I want im going to have to suck it up and grab a weight this I do know but is there any way to make it more fun? I just hate counting reps (Boring) my mind usually wonders off to other things and I end up doing the rep over again any tips to make it more fun???

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I always hated strength training with a passion because to me it meant using machines at the gym or lifting weights and doing reps. BORING. I started doing pilates a couple months ago and love it. You use your own body for resistance so no weights necessary but it is a serious workout and I actually look forward to it. I seem to get the most benefits by going to a class twice weekly. However, now I know what I am doing I may only take one class a week next session and start doing more at home to save myself some money.

I also just bought a book called Pilates on the Ball by Colleen Craig. It is pilates exercises using an exercise ball and it is really fun.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love strength training but only if I have a program to follow. A good one to start with is "New Rules of Lifting for Women". It doesn't make you do endless reps on machines. You'll learn how to "lift like a man and look like a woman". :)
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer weight lifting to cardio. I like feeling strong. The only reason I do cardio is to burn extra cals. But I really hate it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Is to possible to put both those words in the same sentence? I love cardio but to get the body I want im going to have to suck it up and grab a weight this I do know but is there any way to make it more fun? I just hate counting reps (Boring) my mind usually wonders off to other things and I end up doing the rep over again any tips to make it more fun???
    Then don't count them. Take a good amount of weight for an exercise and push/pull it till you can't do anymore. This is labeled as "instinctive training" and in many cases works better for others than counting reps because most end up focusing more on contracting the muscle they are trying to work much better rather than relying on rep counts as a goal.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Listen to music, jog around or dance between sets (srs).

If you find it lengthy, try super-setting. Instead of doing curls, rest, curls, rest....go curls,squats,curls,squats. And you'll half your entire workout.

Try some more involved things, combine curls with presses, or work larger muscle groups. The less isolation, the more involved the exercise can get.

Also, switch up your routine every month or so, to keep yourself less bored. Learning new exercises broadens your workout routine, and overall will give you better results, working more muscles from a variety of angles.

It's a great time to learn a lot about your body, so google some new info.

:)
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    possible solution: do sprint interval training with bodyweight exercises. you get the cardio AND the resistance training....and the EPOC benefits.

here's the basics:

sprint for 10-20 seconds.
    do a bodyweight exercise for as many reps as you are capable of
    rest until your heart rate drops under 120

repeat with a different bodyweight exercise

do 6-12 intervals.

the key is to go all out for each work interval, and to rest long enough between intervals so that you can go all out again for the next work interval.

here's a sample of the bodyweight exercises I do: decline push-ups, jump squats, spiderman push-ups, lunges, burpees, one legged bounds, lying down pull-ups, ape step or kong, jumping kickbacks, plank, side plank (each side)
  • elmedus
    elmedus Posts: 18
    Options
    One word, 1 class, amazing results...BODYPUMP!

1 hour class based, lifting high reps, lowish weights, working every muscle in the body using compound movements to amazing music with inspirational instructors
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    This is helpful for me... :)
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys:flowerforyou: