Should I buy a bike?

Options
ok so I don't do to much exercise and I walk every where but Wal-Mart is having a sale an their bikes like $80 it's not like I have $80 to throw away but it would be nice what do you think should I get a bike or not?

Replies

• mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Check garage sales and resell shops, craigslist and peoples garbage :p. I got a pretty nice bike (though it had a little tear in the seat cover... cheap fix) for free because my neighbor was cleaning out his garage and was just going to throw it away otherwise!
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Craigslist would be a better bet than an $80 at Walmart for sure.
  • elfy66
    elfy66 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yes - if you're going to ride it. Personally, I'd rather ride my bike than walk any day :)
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    hula hoop is a great work out option and loads cheaper than a bike...you can stay at home and work off those cals :-)
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    ugh...Wal mart bikes make me shutter anything from Wal-mart does that though. I'm all for biking and if you aren't going to be hard on it, and store it inside away from the elements, then it will do just fine. 80$ bikes tend to have cheap *kitten* parts and in the near future to keep that bike working you may spend about 300$ to keep it up to par.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I'd say no. If you get into biking you will probably want a better bike than Walmart has.

The best (if possible) would be to borrow a bike for a little while to see if you like riding it (hopefully you have a generous friend with a bike that will fit you).

Then, if you find you like it, look for a good used bike on Craigslist.

blessings.
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'd say no. If you get into biking you will probably want a better bike than Walmart has.

The best (if possible) would be to borrow a bike for a little while to see if you like riding it (hopefully you have a generous friend with a bike that will fit you).

Then, if you find you like it, look for a good used bike on Craigslist.

blessings.

That and most bikes shops are very nice about test riding their bikes, to see which kind of style you would like.
  • zingeber
    zingeber Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Absolutely get a bike if you enjoy biking! I got one a month or so ago and LOVE riding to do my errands. Do your research first though if you want to do any kind of serious riding in the future. A poorly made bike will cause you more frustration and cost more money than it's worth if you're going to ride long distances or try biking in a group. But if it's just to try out, to ride around the neighborhood for fun for a while, who cares if it's from WalMart?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Absolutely get a bike if you enjoy biking! I got one a month or so ago and LOVE riding to do my errands. Do your research first though if you want to do any kind of serious riding in the future. A poorly made bike will cause you more frustration and cost more money than it's worth if you're going to ride long distances or try biking in a group. But if it's just to try out, to ride around the neighborhood for fun for a while, who cares if it's from WalMart?

Nothing against Wal-Mart, I just meant why spend $80 on something that you might not like, or if you DO like it, find out it can't handle what you want to do with it.

blessings.
  • Gypsy_MerMom
    Gypsy_MerMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    thanks guys I'm not gonna get it cuz one i don't have the money n two its just gonna end up like my Wii Fit that I bought I haven't used it in a month but Im gonna start