Depression Meds and Weight question

Options
Has anyone been on anxiety and depression meds and found that they've gained weight and/or found it extremely hard to lose weight?

Replies

• lseagren
    Options
    Has anyone been on anxiety and depression meds and found that they've gained weight and/or found it extremely hard to lose weight?
  • zeena06
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, because they make you feel content I tend to eat more. I have anxiety/panic attacks so I've been on cypralex for a few months and I have put on almost 10 lbs. that's why I'm here. I'd like to go off of it but things have been pretty normal for me so I want to see if I can lose weight while on it.
  • kayla_larsen
    kayla_larsen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've had a huge problem with it, too. I'm on Cymbalta, which is actually supposed to decrease your appetite, but I've gained approx. 30 pounds since I've started taking it and now I'm having a really difficult time taking the weight off. I've been using this site faithfully for about 6 weeks now and I've only lost about 8 pounds. It may seem like a lot for the amount of time, but I've been burning twice the amount of calories I need to and I've been staying under my 1200 calorie/day limit... It's really hard. I feel like my efforts are being wasted, but at least I'm getting in shape.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    There's a fabulous book called "Potatoes not Prozac" that's been mentioned here in a few threads.

There's a companion website: www.radiantrecovery.com. Following the guidelines there has helped me go off antidepressants.

I was on antidepressants, beta blockers and prednisone for fibromyalgia, depression, and chronic myofascial pain syndrome...a triple whammy of weight gainers! It has been very difficult to shed the weight...be patient.

Oh, and another thing...I found out that I had to up my calorie count to lose weight. When I first joined I was on one pound a week settings, and stuck. After I changed to moderate (1/2 pound a week) I started to lose again. Just an idea...
  • caitlinann818
    Options
    Hi there,

I am so glad I looked on this site. I have gained 30 pounds over the course of a year since taking Cymbalta and I think it's because my whole system kind of slowed down.

Anyway, I am in the process of getting off of it now and just signed up on this sight today so I am feeling very hopeful that the weight will come off.
  • beth2662
    beth2662 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    when i started my meds, i lost a bunch of weight, then i gained it all back plus some.
  • lseagren
    Options
    I'm glad people have replied to this topic. It helps hearing these meds affect others as well. I'm extremely frightened to get off these meds. Am I doomed to be 25-30 lbs heavier than I was before? I've been exercising at a gym, taking classes, etc. I have been trying to eat better but have also heard that meds can cause cravings. I feel like it's a never ending battle here. Any words of advice?
  • kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    Options
    Hi,
    I am actually on meds (Lexapro) for anxiety and panic attacks. I used to get panic attacks here or there, but they got REALLY bad the day after I got engaged! I have a huge family, so just the thought of planning a wedding for 400 + people made me very anxious. Plus, I was planning my 10 year High School Reunion, and was social chairperson of my HOA! I think I gained about 5 lbs at the begining, but I don't really notice any additional cravings or increase in my appetite now. I have been on Lexapro for a year, and will probably stay on for one more year once the wedding is over, and then slowly take myself off it.
  • TerryNTaos
    Options
    Iseagrean

Talk to your doctor. I had the same problem, no matter what I did I gain a pound or two every month. I talked to my doctor about it and he changed my Rx. Now I can and am losing weight. Good luck to you.
  • stlcop10
    Options
    If you tell your doctor that you've gained weight and you're uncomfortable with it, they should be able to switch you to a med that is less likely to cause weight gain. It's funny that I saw your post...I'm in my 4th year in pharmacy school and we were actually just talking about antidepressants/ antipsychotics! There are just some meds that are more likely to cause weight gain than others.
  • slmack
    slmack Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HI,
    I have been on different meds for depression and I gained weight ,
    since i have been on wellbutrin xl I have not gained weight from the meds.
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    Yes, me and I so know what you mean. I'm having trouble losing a lb. Anyone out there know any secrets?
  • krystengm
    krystengm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin aided me in ending binge eating. I am not fixated on food. I eat at mealtimes and only when I am super hungry.
    I lost 10 lbs in about 6 weeks. I do exercise frequenty and intensely; but wasn't losing weight prior to going on Wellbutrin.
    I have about 10 to 15 more lbs to lose. But I've lost INCHES and my clothes are too big!
  • burbuja
    burbuja Posts: 32
    Options
    I know exactly what your going through, I was diagnosed cyclothymic and was on cymbalta, topamax, neurontin. I would take about 5 to 6 pills a day and the first couple of weeks I lost weight and it was probably because the meds made me feel sick until my body got used to them. After those first couple of weeks I gained soooo much weight and it is so frustrating.

The only advice I can give you is to work on yourself first, take your meds, get through the treatment work on the issues you need to, to get better and then worty about losing weight. The only thing you can really do is watch what you eat and exercise, don't forget that exercise a great for depression. Remember its not like your going to be on treatment forever its just temporal so don't get down or feel frustrated conecntrate on feeling better and just try to eat healthier and get 30 minutes of exercise 5x a week.

After I worked on getting better and getting stabilized, I do have episodes but not like before and not as close they are very sporadic. Now I am focused on losing the weight and because I can now focus on just one thing I have been losing weight very fast, it seems like those meds bloat you a lot but I am happy to say that I have lost 16 to 18 pounds. Don't worry the weight will fall off.

I hope this helps. Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • paula123
    paula123 Posts: 91
    Options
    I took an anxiety medication for about two months back in Sept when I got terrible anxiety and I did eat more. I stopped taking it after about two months and still kept eating but I noticed it was more of sweets and salty foods that I wanted.
  • kellya
    kellya Posts: 208
    Options
    i have been on many depression/anxiety meds off and on for over 10 yrs....and finally found one that works for 2 yrs now. i have tried Prozac, which made me lose wt, and be very groggy. none made me gain wt. i am currently taking the generic of Wellbutrin SR (bupropion), and take it faithfully. i am a diagnosed binge eater 10+ yrs, and the meds have had no affect on me for that.....now that i have learned why i binged :smile:

everybody is different. do tell your Dr your concern of this. i agree with buburja, take care of your mind and the rest will fall into place!

Good luck!
  • krystengm
    krystengm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Kellya,

See if Wellbutrin SR can be prescribed. It's helped me lose about 15 lbs over the past six months. I lost the first 10 pretty quickly - within 2 months.
    At first I realized a much-reduced appetite. Now I am getting my appetite back, so I have to be vigilant about weighing in and exercising to balance it.
    I have maintained my weight loss for three months.
    Good luck,
    KGM
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    One antidepressant I haven't noticed any increase in appetite or weight gain is Elavil. I was taking this during the beginning of my current weight loss, and it seemed to give me motivation to get things started. You could consider trying a natural antidepressant like Rhodiolla, 5-HTP or St John's Wort also.

I think sometimes once we start feeling better, we start enjoying life AND food more, so you may experience an increased appetite on any medication that improves your mood. The key would be to direct that new found happiness into motivation for your weight loss plan.
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when I was eighteen because of my drastic mood swings and such, and they put me on a slew of medications that lead to weight gain. I had terrible side effects and my symptoms seem to get worse and worse. One day I moved out to Montana on a whim and got a job with a conservation corps working outside and doing trailwork. I not only lost a ton of weight, but I quit my medications and now live happily and normally even though I was diagnosed so-called "bipolar", which my psychiatrist said would be with me for the rest of my life. I no longer believe in pharmaceuticals for health problems and am a big advocate of holistic health care - take care of yourself body mind and soul and it will take care of you. It is possible to change the way you think about things and perceive the world, and with some dedication to wanting to be the best possible version of yourself and keeping healthy as your goal, you'll find how putting yourself first can enrich your entire existence. Eating healthy foods, listening to what your body feels and needs, having the courage to pursue your dreams, participating in activities that make you feel happy and fulfilled, ridding yourself of addictions, building healthy relationships with loved ones and especially, loving yourself, are key to living a happy and wholesome life.
  • krt1168
    Options
    Going below 1200 kcal/day causes your metabolism to go into starvation mode which slows down your metabolism. The exercise raises it for a short time but the body wants to protect you from starvation by lowering the calorie expenditure any way it can. Dipping below 1200 kcal/day once in a while doesn't cause your body to go into survival mode, but doing so on a regular basis does. It will therefore be even harder to lose weight.