Daily Allowances

Options
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and am LOVING IT!!! I am on day 3 and with Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner alone, I have gone over my protein allowance all 3 days. Is this bad? I am NOT doing low carb and I am close to all my other alowances.

Day 1 - over by 11
Day 2 - over by 24
Day 3 - over by 12

Can someone please help me?

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Unless your Doctor says otherwise the more protein the better.

Just make sure you are also getting in your fiber and water. Of course the protein should be from lean meats/fish.

You can do it!!!!
  • everydaypam
    everydaypam Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue and asked a nutritionist. She told me that when you are trying to lose weight it is not only ok to go over on protein but encouraged since this is a very important category. Make sure you are getting enough fiber and fat though to keep it balanced and that you are keeping around your calorie count each day. (I get my butt kicked for being too low more often than not).
  • JandK156
    Options
    I'd love to know this, too, as I did my first day's food entries yesterday and am confused by going over in protein, too. I'm sure I went over because I have no idea how much I am allowed per day.

I selected English measurements, yet my protein, carbs and fat allowances are not given in ounces. Is it grams? And if so, why is it in grams? I do not have a clue about metrics, so this is confusing.
  • 4littlemonkeys
    Options
    The protein portion seems to be set quite low....I'm always going over mine too! I'm just not sure how much I "should" be having.
  • jp09m
    jp09m Posts: 89
    Options
    Unless your Doctor says otherwise the more protein the better.

Just make sure you are also getting in your fiber and water. Of course the protein should be from lean meats/fish.

You can do it!!!!

this pretty much sums it up. id say just watch your fat intake, but if you eat lean meats you wont have to worry. i dont think ive ever stayed within my protein or fiber limits to be honest. i love chicken, and i love my veggies lol
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about it as the default settings for protein that MFP has is quite low. If you are working out and trying to tone or build muscle you actually might need more protein than MFP recommends. I set my goals for 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat (recommended by a nutritionist). I work out about 5 days per week and I am trying to build muscle so I actually struggle to eat enough protein. Check with your doctor or a nutitionist as to what is the right amount of protein you should shoot for daily as we are all different.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I reset my defaults to 40/30/30 on carbs/protein/fats based on something I read from one of the famous trainers, I think it might be like "the zone" but it seems to work for me.