Does anyone else feel FATTER right before the scale dips?

Options
I know this sounds retarded, but many times before I weigh and see a somewhat significant drop in tonage, I feel like I am bigger than ever. It feels like my shirts are just clinging to me tighter and tighter and I just in general feel miserable, much like I did 80 pounds ago. It's nice when I get on the scale and it denies how I feel but it still seems very odd. I was just wondering if I am the only one out here that has this kind of thing or not.

Replies

• maepis
    maepis Posts: 51
    Options
    I know this sounds retarded, but many times before I weigh and see a somewhat significant drop in tonage, I feel like I am bigger than ever. It feels like my shirts are just clinging to me tighter and tighter and I just in general feel miserable, much like I did 80 pounds ago. It's nice when I get on the scale and it denies how I feel but it still seems very odd. I was just wondering if I am the only one out here that has this kind of thing or not.
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost hardly any weight, so I can't say that I have felt that way, but right after I work out I always feel fatter. Maybe it is just me disappointing myself because I don't see results as fast as I want to, but I seriously feel HUGE after I work out. Weird huh?
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    OMG I HOPE THIS IS MY CURRENT PROBLEM! I feel like I look no different than I did 70 lbs ago today! It could just be a woman thing...but I feel just plain awful today.
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I kinda know how you feel...Usually I'm surprised. I'll be "oh i don 't think I lost anything and bang I lost something
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of "Fat Days" myself. Even though I am losing weight, there are just some days when I feel like an over grown whale. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I did this today! I had a loss on the scale, but my stomach and thighs feel "full" or something. I don't have that nice, "deflated" feeling I usually experience first thing in the morning.

But this was the first time I noticed this happening.
  • 54harleygirl
    Options
    try drinking more water, :drinker: that seems to work fo me when I feel like that. By the way where did you get your smoke free tracker? I have been smoke free for 57 days today. Congratulations and good luck!
  • meganlkp
    meganlkp Posts: 41
    Options
    I get that ALL the time! I feel huge, full and bloated and like I have put on weight and especially my thighs feel bigger but the scale say i have lost or that I am still the same weight!! thank goodness i am not the only one!
  • snarf1234
    snarf1234 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm curious about your smoke ticker too.... I've been on Nicorette for almost a year... am COMPLETELY addicted to Nicorette and I chew it ALL day long - but better than smoking!
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    i feel fat right now after 36 fried oysters and fries :sick:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    maybe your dryer is shrinking your t-shirts :angry: :huh:

I used to actually feel smaller right before weighing in, I'd always be able to predict how much I'd lost, but lately the amount I lose each week is too miniscule for me to feel any difference at all. I've never felt bigger though, despite losing weight.
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've actually heard of this a lot. I don't know if this is true or not, but someone mentioned that bodybuilders always notice this when they first start cutting. They drop fat, but since intramuscular fat goes before subcutaneous fat, the muscles get a little deflated. Therefore, the subcutaneous fat is more obvious and overall "jiggly" feeling, even though there technically isn't more fat. As far as the rest of us, probably water retention after working out. I always feel like a mack truck after I lift weights, and your muscles actually do get a little pump up from the blood flowing, but it goes away after an hour or so.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I've actually heard of this a lot. I don't know if this is true or not, but someone mentioned that bodybuilders always notice this when they first start cutting. They drop fat, but since intramuscular fat goes before subcutaneous fat, the muscles get a little deflated. Therefore, the subcutaneous fat is more obvious and overall "jiggly" feeling, even though there technically isn't more fat. As far as the rest of us, probably water retention after working out. I always feel like a mack truck after I lift weights, and your muscles actually do get a little pump up from the blood flowing, but it goes away after an hour or so.

Yeah, I retain water like mad after a workout... I hate it... but it always goes away, so I just accept it as part of the game.

I also sometimes feel bigger right before the scale drops. Tuesday night I ate at KFC (I know, really bad, but I'd been craving it for 4 whole days and couldn't let it go) I felt like a fat pig that night. I got on the scale the next morning and I was a pound less than the morning before. (Yes, I weigh myself every morning.) :huh:
  • maepis
    maepis Posts: 51
    Options
    It's nice to know that there are others that have\do experience this. I thought I was just going crazy at first.

For the smoking ticker, this is the link to the website.

www.burnmytime.com/blog/2007/05/18/smoke-free-quitmeter-ticker