Are you supposed to....

Options
I like to work out in the PM after work (I am soo not a morning person) so should I eat dinner and then work out or work out and then eat dinner?

Replies

• GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat a small, high carb meal before workouts so that I get the most out of my workout and then I eat my dinner (high protein) meal after.

Don't know if it's right to do it that way, but it's been working for me.
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It is totally up to you, everyones different. I know that when i exercise at night i'll usually exercise first and eat later cause i actually feel worse if i eat first. But some people may disagree, you have to do what works for you. Good luck
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Try it both ways and see which works better for you.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    if you need something before you work out, you can have a light snack to give you energy; some people do just fine without eating before working out. But I'd suggest eating a meal after the workout rather than before.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    If this were my scenario, I would workout then eat. Better to take advantage of the body's (slightly) catabolic state, then replenish nutrients as demanded by the body after the workout.
  • korny09
    korny09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like this idea.
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I have tried it both ways and neither made me feel better or worse, right now I am so hungry its ridiculous so I think I am going to eat first, but I'm curious about the "catabolic state" thing- Whats that mean and how does it work lol?
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Definately go with what you feel is right for your body. I workout in the evenings as well because mornings and I just don't get along :) There are times where I do have to eat something because if I don't, I get shaky and weak. I usually don't eat an entire meal but try to eat something. Good luck.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    It's just based on your preference.

I have my afternoon snack at 3:30pm. Usually an egg or protien shake. (Today I had 1 egg and 1/2 cup of grapes). I don't do high carbing before or after the gym. Always protien.

I'm off work at 4:30 so I hit the gym then.

Dinner usually comes about 6pm and has grains.

It seems to be working out for me!! Check out my thread "Two Months of Progress in Pics" :smile:
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I have tried it both ways and neither made me feel better or worse, right now I am so hungry its ridiculous so I think I am going to eat first, but I'm curious about the "catabolic state" thing- Whats that mean and how does it work lol?

Catabolism is the body's way of breaking down its own tissues for metabolic processes. I believe the idea is that your body is primed after a workout to accept nutrients. So why not give it the nutrients it wants at that time. instead of prompting it to eat itself, so to speak.
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I know they say morning is best but honestly I don't think it will matter when you eat. I'd just do whatever works out best for your schedule. I personally prefer to work out in the am but sometimes I do it in the pm if I don't get up early enough. If that's the case I work out before eating because we eat late suppers and I can't stand working out late.
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Catabolism is the body's way of breaking down its own tissues for metabolic processes. I believe the idea is that your body is primed after a workout to accept nutrients. So why not give it the nutrients it wants at that time. instead of prompting it to eat itself, so to speak.

Intresting, thank you. Thats good to know :) I like that idea too