couch to 5k

Options
Ok, so how do I know, without a hrm, how many calories I burn each time I do the couch to 5k?

Replies

• dragonflybird
    Options
    download the addidas app and have that going the same time. Thats what I do anyway. Or else get a polar watch with a heart monitor. That's the pricey way, but it is more accurate.
  • stoofers
    Options
    You figure out how far and fast you run, eg. 6 mph (10 min mile) and once you know that you can determine it. Then add "running" and pick the mph one that you ran and how many minutes you ran for. It'll calculate it. That's how I do it.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Without a HRM, you really don't know.
  • Suepop1994
    Options
    Kinda figured it would be impossible to figure without a hrm. Gotta get one of them as I am still convinced this program calculates higher than actual calories burned. Maybe if I wasn't cussing myself the whole time tonight I would have paid attention to how many miles I walked. Oppps..... Just glad to have made it through the ordeal! lmol
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I have an excel sheet that calculates it based on weight, amt. of time running + amt. of time walking. All you have to do is supply your weight and the different C25K weeks/workouts are calculated. I copied it from some other site and modified it. I'd be happy to share.
  • Suepop1994
    Options
    Misterdubs that would be great!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Just use RunKeeper (free) app or any other running app. You would need a smartphone to do it if you run outside. It will track where you run and tell you how many calories you have burned at the end of your work out. If you're on a machine, just copy what the machine says. MFP calculations tend to be off. That's not to say that an app or machine isn't I've used both and have found them more accurate.
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    When I was calculating it without my Bodybugg, my calories burned was so much higher than with the BodyBugg. It's not too bad for me because I don't eat back my calories but what a bummer.... I kind of liked looking at the higher numbers... lol
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    they say u average 100 calories per mile

I have a HRM and that's about what I burn everytime
  • jagman23
    Options
    heart rate does not matter
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My app tells me how many calories I've burned. I either use the gps part, or put in how fast I ran and walked and it will tell me.
  • killagb
    Options
    they say u average 100 calories per mile

I have a HRM and that's about what I burn everytime

I burned between 5-600 cals on my week 8 C25k runs.
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike+GPS app.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    if you have an iPhone, there's an app called 'endomondo' that can do this for you, and it tracks your workouts on their website www.endomondo.com

Saying that, it isn't very accurate, it's over generous with calories burnt...peoples bodies,build etc are all different so it's almost impossible to give an accurate figure without a HRM.
  • jagman23
    Options
    I just enter the times into the exercise section on this website. It calculates it for you based on the speed you went and your weight. For example: for Week5Day1 you walk 5m, jog 5m, walk 3m, jog 5m, walk 3m, jog 5m, then walk 5m. So, total of 16m walking and 15m jogging. I usually choose the 3 or 3.5 mph walking speed and for jogging I use the 11.5m mile rate. Ends up being about 400 calories for me (I'm about 250lbs), but if you weigh less you'll burn fewer calories (i.e. less work).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Running and walking are actually pretty steady at approximately 100 KCal per mile. I find I burn somewhere a wee bit higher than that but not by much. You'd be pretty safe just figuring out how far you've gone using Runkeeper.com or even Google Maps and multiplying times 100.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    heart rate does not matter

Im curious why you say that. It was always my understanding that the more elevated your heart rate is, the more calories you are burning as your heart is working harder to pump blood. Of course, this also depends on the height and weight of the person, too.
  • killagb
    Options
    Running and walking are actually pretty steady at approximately 100 KCal per mile. I find I burn somewhere a wee bit higher than that but not by much. You'd be pretty safe just figuring out how far you've gone using Runkeeper.com or even Google Maps and multiplying times 100.

Not really the case, as I said above I burn between 5-600 cals according to my Polar FT7 for week 8 C25k runs(28min of running). This is about 2.5 - 2.75 miles in distance.
  • Cinh1
    Cinh1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i would love that spreadsheet for how many calories you burn in couch to 5k... Any tips on running for begginners?
  • Boyda
    Boyda Posts: 1
    Options
    If you could share the Excel worksheet that would be awesome!