Anyone Else Need a Paleo/Primal Challenge?

Options

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    bump. nearly 1am and I should be asleep! will take. a proper look at this tomorrow. sounds really interesting.
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So far, so good today. I had eggs for breakfast, then went to the store to stock up on lots of paleo friendly foods. I had boneless chicken tenders and salad for dinner. i plan to make a pork tenderloin this week and lots of veggies. I am also planning on a veggie/chicken soup. It has been pretty easy so far today. The weekends kill me, though.

Have a great night!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    What I ate today:

Breakfast:
    coffee with fat free half and half (left in my fridge, will buy the normal stuff when it runs out)
    two eggs omelet with ham, cheese, spinach, and peppers

Snack:
    Macintosh apple straight from my mother in law's orchard
    Lindt truffle (I work there and sampled a new product)

Lunch:
    Chili my dad made (gluten free :) )

Tiny snack:
    1 candied walnut (decided I wasn't really hungry, just eating)

Dinner:
    Roasted chicken with roasted root veggies
    White wine

Take a look at my diary for all the details :)
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I like the diet reporting!

I fasted till 1, then ate some dried mangos, apple cider, and a few almonds while waiting for dinner, which was 1/2 baked chicken breast with skin, potato, and steamed broccoli. I'm about to take a nap then wake up and exercise, then work from 1am to 7am. I prefer to fast again but will at least drink coffee, maybe eat banana. I find it hard to do IF when I'm on overnights!

Tomorrow I plan to sleep till two or so, exercise, eat leftover chicken, and prepare a mustard tuna salad (albacore and boiled egg in dijon mustard on a bed of spinach and tomatoes), banana, and some coffee for working 8p-5a
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a kefir with blueberry and half a banana for breakfast. mushroom bacon omelette muffin for am snack, grilled chicken breast with salad, pear and pecan dressed with a raspberry vinaigrette. Dinner was chicken fajitas.
    cutmd, your snacks remind me how much I liked the almond and date for a snack.
    And, spngbobsmyhero, which root vegetables do you roast? That sounds good, I would like more details.
  • spngebobmyhero
    Options
    Yesterday I had a kefir with blueberry and half a banana for breakfast. mushroom bacon omelette muffin for am snack, grilled chicken breast with salad, pear and pecan dressed with a raspberry vinaigrette. Dinner was chicken fajitas.
    cutmd, your snacks remind me how much I liked the almond and date for a snack.
    And, spngbobsmyhero, which root vegetables do you roast? That sounds good, I would like more details.

I roasted:
    2 carrots, 4 kohlrabi (not really a root, but oh well), 2 huge beets, 3 white turnips, 1/2 an onion
    peeled everything, tossed with some EVOO, salt and pepper. I roasted at 350 for about an hour.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Battling a cold, so I caved on a grilled cheese yesterday. But other than that:

Breakfast: 2 egg, broccoli, bacon cupcakes/muffins (12 eggs, beaten. spray muffin tin with nonstick spray. fill tins half with egg, add veggies and meat, top with egg. bake 15 min at 350)

Snack: Larabar and pear

Lunch: Meatloaf

Snack: Banana and almond butter

Dinner: Pot roast and squash
  • amysj303
    Options
    I had grilled cheese when I had a cold last week too! with tomato soup...
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I've lost another 2lbs in 2 days.. so total was 5 lbs for first week... which is great as it took me 4 months to lose the first 9lbs on normal diet but reduced calories and with exercise!

You mentioned rice before.. I'm allergic to nuts so cant have coconut rice, so I tried cauliflower rice, its really simple.

just cut a cauli head into chunks so it fits in food processer then whizz it till its fine like rice.. transfer to microwavable dish with lid.. put in microwave for 4-5 mins,

what I did was also cooked off mushroom and onion so when cauli rice has been in 4 mins I took it out mixed in the mushroom and onion and put some garlic butter in with it (you can used normal butter if you want or just salt and pepper) and put it back in microwave for last minute.

I had mine with prawns in a sweet chilli sauce instead of white rice. I have another portion left which I'm planning to have with my healthier version of chicken curry.
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I thought I was going to have a hard time with my workout today with the lowered carb intake, but it really wasn't so bad. I am running intervals instead of long runs until my body adjusts.

I had eggs for breakfast, turkey and string cheese for lunch, and I am making pork tenderloin for dinner with mashed cauliflower and squash boats with spinach. Yum!!! I can't wait until dinner!
  • SRH7
    Options
    I've lost another 2lbs in 2 days.. so total was 5 lbs for first week... which is great as it took me 4 months to lose the first 9lbs on normal diet but reduced calories and with exercise!

You mentioned rice before.. I'm allergic to nuts so cant have coconut rice, so I tried cauliflower rice, its really simple.

just cut a cauli head into chunks so it fits in food processer then whizz it till its fine like rice.. transfer to microwavable dish with lid.. put in microwave for 4-5 mins,

what I did was also cooked off mushroom and onion so when cauli rice has been in 4 mins I took it out mixed in the mushroom and onion and put some garlic butter in with it (you can used normal butter if you want or just salt and pepper) and put it back in microwave for last minute.

I had mine with prawns in a sweet chilli sauce instead of white rice. I have another portion left which I'm planning to have with my healthier version of chicken curry.

Ooooooh, sounds lovely! I'd rather have lots of lovely low carb food like that than be counting the points of miniature portions of pasta and bread. I'm lazy so buy frozen cauliflower - quick boil, chuck in blender with black pepper and a glug of cream. Mmmmmmmm.
  • SRH7
    Options

Breakfast: 2 egg, broccoli, bacon cupcakes/muffins (12 eggs, beaten. spray muffin tin with nonstick spray. fill tins half with egg, add veggies and meat, top with egg. bake 15 min at 350)

Nom nom nom... these sound delicious.
  • divades
    divades Posts: 145
    Options
    Did paleo for 2 weeks and it was a success! Felt great, my energy was high, mood was great, and I was seeing some impressive results. I have been trying to get back on track for like 2 months now to no avail so this challenge may be exactly what I need.

Today was not so good - I had a burrito for lunch with the works including sour cream, rice, beans and cheese. Not paleo by any means! Need some more food ideas so I don't get bored with what I'm eating. I am trying to lose 5 pounds by Halloween and I know that if I can get back on with paleo, I will be successful. Thanks for the challenge.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I've been Primal since August and love it! I havn't lost any weight but I am no where as bloated as I used to be! NSV for me!

I do eat meat & dairy, but only free range, whole fat, no hormones added etc.

I eat no grains, minimaly processed food (tuna, tomatoes, etc ok) and watch the sodium.

I drink wine often and am a CrossFitter!

There are MANY cookbooks out there now. Amazon.com is a great place to find them as well as B&N.com.

Check out nom nom paleo, fit bomb, everyday paleo and other blogs for some great ideas. Many paleo recipes can be made primal.

I plan and prepare 2 snacks and 2 meals for each day (M-F) on Sundays.

Oh, and I completely bombed this weekend and ate a whole frozen pizza and some other crap to my head!! 80/20 right?!
  • spngebobmyhero
    Options
    Well, I had grains last night, but still no gluten :) I had nachos, so there was corn in the chips, but they were so, so good. I declined the beer and went with hard cider instead. This is a big step for me!
  • amysj303
    Options
    thirs verse, same as the first...
    doing pretty well on breakfast and lunch and snack being primal.
    sounds like everyone is doing pretty well.
    80/20. I would like to hear more about how people interpret this. do they think, like 80% of their meals, or 80% of the days on the calendar?
  • divades
    Options
    Are peanuts/peanut butter primal/paleo??
  • spngebobmyhero
    Options
    Are peanuts/peanut butter primal/paleo??

Not technically since they are a legume. Legumes aren't included in the paleo diet from what I've read/listened to on podcasts.
  • divades
    Options
    So I had almond butter for the first time yesterday! Yuck! Guess I will be eating legumes cuz I will not be giving up peanut butter. 80/20 right??
  • divades
    Options
    80/20. I would like to hear more about how people interpret this. do they think, like 80% of their meals, or 80% of the days on the calendar?

I'd like to know this too.