Pregnancy question!

Options
My fiance and I plan to start trying for our first baby in June after our wedding. Does the intake of protein or certain exercises not safe for a women trying to conceive? ( just for future reference)

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Hah. man just wait till you get the laundry list of rules.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    This will be something to discuss with your OB/GYN. :flowerforyou:
  • zohars
    zohars Posts: 29
    Options
    From what I've been reading for myself, with exercise you pretty much can do anything you feel like you want to do. Listen to your body, and you can continue to run / strength train / anything. I've read that the first trimester you probably won't feel like exercising much, but if you feel up to it, it won't hurt you or the baby.

Also, between now and then, getting stronger is a good goal. Turns out pregnancy does all sorts of weird stuff to your body (joints apparently soften...) so the stronger you are beforehand, hopefully the less trouble you will have during.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will get a laundry list of rules. Here's my life.

I have 4 kids. Kid 1, I exercised for the first three months then decided I could eat whatever I wanted. Got pregnant easily. Same with kid 2 and 3. With kid 4, I was in the gym before I got pregnant. We had to use fertility tests but not because of anything I was doing. Hubby has ED so we had to time when we DTD. While pregnant, I ran 5k's until I was 36 weeks and was bench pressing 100lbs until I was 38 weeks at which point I dedcided I was too tired to go to the gym anymore. DD was born 3 days later.

Everyone's experience in different and be sure to listen to your doctor's crap too. Blah blah blah.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I just had my first :) Any exercise that you are doing up to when you get pregnant is safe to continue through pregnancy unless you are high risk for a certain reason which in that case you would ask your doctor. When you get pregnant you need a higher amount of protein that you usually do.

You will get a list of a million things you can/cannot do and you will have to decide what to follow :)
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    Start exercising now. Get into shape because they say to maintain the same exercise throughout pregnancy as long as it is not to rigorous and you are not having problems in your pregnancy. I know someone who did taibo (sp?) her entire pregnancy, had her baby and was back in her work out routine 2 days later. She also only had about a 4 hour labor. She attributed all of this to her activity level throughout her pregnancy.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Oh, and yoga and pilates DO help. I did both until I was about 7 months or so. Then I couldn't bend over to reach my toes and got discouraged.
  • lucisept61
    Options
    Eat LOTS of dark leafy vegetables - really boost your folic acid intake. Make sure you're getting a healthy protein intake, but you shouldn't need to eat more than normal just to conceive. I personally would avoid foods with soy in them, but then, my body makes too much estrogen. Exercises are usually good, as long as your body fat doesn't get so low that you stop your menstrual cycle. If you are doing something really "out there" that you are concerned about talk it over with your doctor.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 30 weeks pregnant right now, and before conceiving, found the book "What to Expect Before you're Expecting" very helpful with tons of advice like you're looking for.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    The stork does most of the work, so I don't know what you are worrying about.
  • princessthecat22
    princessthecat22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. I remember 2 thanksgivings ago doing a 5K and a very pregnant women won 2nd place! :noway: I was so shocked. But all your advice makes sense to what I saw. I will def. be consulting with a dr. but just wanted the insight before to kindof calm my nerves.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    There isn't any rules for while you are trying (unless you want to cut out alcohol, caffeine, etc for your own sake). Once you get a positive test and have your first dr appointment, they will give you the long list of do's and don'ts.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    This will be something to discuss with your OB/GYN. :flowerforyou:

agreeing wholeheartedly... every woman is different, every pregnancy situation will be different, exercise/food/vitamin..etc Definitely talk with your OBGYN and PCP...