Shopping List

Options
I suck at shopping for healthy foods... help!

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    How much time do you usually spend cooking? What were you eating before you started eating healthy?

Personally, I buy a lot of frozen veggies, because they are easy to heat up, and they are very low in calories.

I also like to buy brown rice, eggs, and anything else that doesn't spoil quickly.

For foods that do spoil, I like to get bananas and apples, because they don't require cutting or preparation. You just wash, or peel, and eat. They are easily transported too.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Fresh produce, fresh lean meats, milk, yogurt, lo fat cheese. The middle of the grocery store has processed foods, snacks, and ice cream.
  • bride2b520
    Options
    Yeah, I don't cook right now... lol... that's part of my issue but that's going to be fixed in about a month when my fiance and I move in to our apartment. I'm sort of restricted to my bedroom so actual cooking doesn't really fly.
  • moefitt
    moefitt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I pass by a fruit stand 2 a day and they always have great things...oranges, raspberries, strawberries, mangos, grapes...
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    A few of my favs.....
    ~Fage 0% greek yogurt - I mix in sugar-free cherry jello powder and eat it with fresh fruit (usually berries). For a pumpkin pie-ish treat, I like to mix in some canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and agave. It is also great as a sour cream substitute.
    ~Tea
    ~Skim milk
    ~Fresh fruits and veggies (usually whatever's on sale)
    ~Jennie-O Extra Lean ground turkey - I cook it, portion it out, and use it throughout the week. You can mix in some low sodium taco seasoning and eat on tortillas for mexican, or mix with tomato sauce and eat over whole wheat pasta for italian.
    ~Fiber One whole wheat bread
    ~Chicken breasts (great marinated and grilled)
    ~Brown rice
    ~Sweet potatoes (you can also peel, cut them into sticks, toss with some EVOO, and back for fresh delicious fries)
    ~Steel cut oatmeal

Check out skinnytaste.com for some AWESOME recipe ideas :smile: