Why pay money to RUN?!?!?

Options
Today one of my senior boys was talking about how crazy it was that people actually paid money to run. He said he MIGHT run if someone paid HIM to do it, but no way would he pay someone else so he could run.

I used to be him!!! lol

And now I'm on the other side of the fence, and I :heart: LOVE:heart: it.

So my question to you runners out there: WHY? Why do YOU pay money to run a race? :love:

Replies

• 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Charity!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    It's all about the t-shirt.... LOL!!!

No, I do it because I can! I find it motivating and inspirational and lights a fire in me to prove how far/fast I can go!!!! Running rules!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    im not sure what you mean? I dont pay money to run, unless you are referring to races.....then ofcourse I pay to enter a race because they are fun and very motivating and give me something to work for while I run to get better and faster!
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My brother has asked me the same thing!

I haven't actually ran a race yet, but have signed up for two, and I'm beyond excited. Just being able to run with people who have a common interest and goal really motivates me.

Worth every penny :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    It's all about the charity -- and the t-shirts!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    In marathons? Because you can….
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    im not sure what you mean? I dont pay money to run, unless you are referring to races.....then ofcourse I pay to enter a race because they are fun and very motivating and give me something to work for while I run to get better and faster!

Sorry for the confusion--hopefully clarified now. But you were spot on! :-)
  • Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm rather fortunate that my employer pays for many of the races that I go in. But the ones I do pay for myself I have no problems with as most of the time the races are a fundraising event and the proceeds usually go towards a great cause.

And...you can't put a price on the shiny medal that you get when you cross the finish line !!! :wink:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for the Hot Chocolate 5K. I paid to get lots of chocolate and a nice jacket. :bigsmile: OK and also to commit myself to completing C25K.
  • terrijean04
    terrijean04 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Helps hold me accountable..gives me a goal to shoot for with ..everbody says they want to get in shape but WHEN???? I say in time for my Haunted Hoquiam race and then again for the Jingle bell run ......then you got St Paddys day race... I could go on and on :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for the Hot Chocolate 5K. I paid to get lots of chocolate and a nice jacket. :bigsmile: OK and also to commit myself to completing C25K.

OMG, wehre is this race?????
    All I got for running 12km was 1 bottle of Powerade and a little medal. I want chocolate!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    :heart: Swag. :heart:

But it's like saying, "Why pay to go out to dinner when you can cook at home cheaper? Why go to the movies when you can rent from RedBox for a buck?" You're paying for the experience.

And a lot of times, it's for a great cause. I've run for the Red Cross, for Lupus, for a charity for children, etc.
  • shonasteele
    Options
    Oh I would totally do that one!!! And I'd pay LOTS for a jacket that said I did the Hot Chocolate 5k!!!

But yeah, I just did my first 5k yesterday and I had a long chat with hubby this morning about how I think I need to commit to doing another one to keep me motivated to keep running, especially once the weather gets nasty!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

OMG, wehre is this race?????
    All I got for running 12km was 1 bottle of Powerade and a little medal. I want chocolate!

It is in several different cities. I'm running Dallas. They have a 15K as well.

http://www.hotchocolate15k.com/
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Most 5K's benefit a charitable cause.

Also, keep in mind the costs involved in organizing the event, which often times includes city permits and municipal authorities closing off streets.

Anyone that doesn't want to pay can just not participate. Nobody's forced to participate.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Most of the big events are raising money for charity and proceeds from the sales go to a specific charity. It will be listed on the races website.
    If being active and obtaining my own personal goals, enhances the lives of children, or helps in any other way, then I will gladly pay to enter.

I am running my first marathon in two weeks in Toronto and last year they had a record breaking year for money raised for charity from entry fees. 22,000 people ran it. This year, they are expecting 23,000. How awesome is that?!

I myself have raised over $1000 towards the Heart and Stoke Foundation this year. Last year I raised over $1200. It makes all the training and pain worth it when I know that I am making a difference to people like my father and brother who have both had heart surgeries.

So, why pay to run? Because I am one of the 1% of the population that is actually out there doing it! Running for those who can't. :)
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Charity first and foremost but there is something about being with hundreds of other people that like to run that is very motivating and crossing the finish line is one awesome feeling.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Most 5K's benefit a charitable cause.

Also, keep in mind the costs involved in organizing the event, which often times includes city permits and municipal authorities closing off streets.

Anyone that doesn't want to pay can just not participate. Nobody's forced to participate.

I hope I didn't sound like I begrudge it one little bit! I know my reasons, but they don't necessarily make sense to a 17 year old boy, and it thought it would be interesting to hear what others had to say. Plus, I can go back to the classroom and challenge all of the kids to join me in a local charity run this month, and cite some of the reasons on here.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I can understand why it wouldn't make sense to a teenager. A young kid who runs track in high school or college is already surrounded by peers who share that interest, and have regular opportunities to challenge themselves running with others.

I'm about a minute and a half to two minutes slower per mile when I'm just out for a jog than I am when racing. It's only when I'm racing that I realize how much faster I've become. When I'm with others, I push harder, and it's a great sense of accomplishment.
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    For the t-shirt definately!
    But also to say that I have competed in an actually race and finished.