question...

amberrrogers
amberrrogers Posts: 98
edited October 3 in Health and Weight Loss
I went to the nutritionist today. I have lost 7.6 pounds since my last visit to the doctor. I printed my food and exercise diary and took it in to her so she could see what I have been doing. She told me today that i need to exercise at least 90 minutes a day 6 days a week and consume NO MORE THAN 1200 CALORIES! And she said she would prefer that if I burn 1000 calories exercising, then I consume no more than 1000 calories a day TOTAL, not net calories. Does this seem extreme to any one else?I mean I try to do 12-1500 a day as it is and afraid if I cut it anymore I wont succeed

Replies

• vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    I think anything under 1200/day total is unhealthy and that you'll eventually run out of energy.
  • and that is 1200 calories net too, right? That is what I thought. But she sees me needing to lose 170 pounds from the start and Im guessing she is not doing calories for a person of my size.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    That sounds crazy. If you eat only 1,000 calories then burn 1,000 calories what the heck is your body supposed to function on? I guess in theory you'll burn up all the fat but more likely you're body is going to think its starving and hold on to every calorie it can. I know if I eat too little after a couple days i'll binge like there's no tomorrow.
  • tshahady
    tshahady Posts: 84 Member
    definitely get a second opinion. I think it sounds crazy.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    your body will go into starvation mode. you'll stop losing weight and my guess is that after about a week you'll be too tired to do anything.

Just my thought...I'd be curious to see what other people on here that have had remarkable weight loss have to say on this
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    I'm definitely no nutritionist...

But it sounds like the person you're going to see isn't, either, no matter what the diploma says. Your body will go into starvation mode if you do that, and start hoarding fat.

If it were me, I'd get a second opinion.

What you need to do is get rid of empty calories. Eat lots of fruits and veggies. Fibers. Cut the carbs. Eat lots of low-fat meats like chicken and fish, cut the fatty red meat. And yes, exercise. Burn those calories, get your heart rate up. You know, all the stuff that makes sense. Starving yourself doesn't fall into that category, and it amazes me that a health-care professional would suggest it. I don't have much faith in them as a whole, but that just flat-out boggles the mind.
  • that is what I thought too. And seeing as I have lost almost 8 pounds in 2 weeks, I would think Im doing something right.
  • LisaLeJeune
    LisaLeJeune Posts: 4 Member
    I don't think your nutritionist knows what she is talking about. I am not a Dr. but I know that if you put yourself into starvation mode you will not lose weight. You need to go to "Tools" on here, and find your BMR. This is the number of calories you burn just being alive. Then, you need to adjust your calorie intake and your exercise so that you have a deficiet of probably 7000 calories a week. It takes burning 3500 calories to lose a pound and you don't need to lose more than 2 pounds a week.

Just do the math and see how many calories you need to eat and how much you need to exercise.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    What are your nutritionists credentials? I'm curious which school she studied at or which certification she got.
  • LisaLeJeune
    When I was on weight watchers and I was walking, training for the Breast Cancer 60 mile 3-day walk, I kept putting weight on, and they told me that I needed to eat more in order to lose weight. The problem was that I was burning so many calories and my intake was too low so my body went into starvation mode and started storing fat. When I added more food, I started losing.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    You are doing something right. And you can continue to do it that way and be just fine. You'll get there. But you do have a lot of weight to lose, so at the start you have some "protection" against "starvation mode" and eating under 1200 calories, so you could also follow her plan. Up to you either way.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I'm sorry but do not listen to that nutritionalist or any nutritionalist for that matter. Form what I've heard on here, they don't need any real training and only need to know about nutrition to become one.. and obviously this one doesn't!

I'd say as long as it working for you, then keep at it. When you run into problems is when you should question and then switch things up.
  • LisaLeJeune
    I have a friend that has lost a lot of weight, and she had trouble until someone told her to count your calories from dinner one night to dinner the next night, instead of breakfast to breakfast. This way you aren't at the end of the day and then find out you have a lot more calories to eat! I think that is a great way to calculate calories.
This discussion has been closed.