When did you first realize?

Options
DWilbanks
DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
When did you first realize that you were overweight? We have a biggest looser contest going on at work, and I had a lady ask me this today, and to be honest, I can remember my childhood being 8 or 9 years old knowing I was bigger than most kids. I can remember tyring to hide my size by my clothes even back then.

Replies

• boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    i knew early on. been overweight most of my life with the exception of a diet pill phase in 1998-2004. Then a friend showed me the way to mfp last year.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I first saw it in a photo. I was never overweight as a child. In fact, my teachers and classmates all thought I was malnourished because I was so skinny.

I started to gain to a healthy weight in college. After college, I didn't stop gaining.

When my dad took a picture of my little brother and I, I saw the pudge. I was wearing an outfit that I wore in school. It was jeans and a university shirt. I had a muffin top and too much booty in the pants. I had no idea that I looked like that, because all I see in the mirror is beautiful. I'm also kind of short, so it's rare that I see my waist and lower in a mirror anyway. Those full length body pictures tell all tales about my weight.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Seeing a photograph of myself in a local bar standing beside an ex nc state female basket ball player. I'm 5'6"..short....she was about 6'8' and the only thing I noticed was that I was FAT ...not SHORT....:laugh:
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    When even my pair of "big" jeans were too tight.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize it until just now, when you pointed it out to me
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    When teachers would always mistake me for the really big black girls at school.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I went shopping at Express and couldn't wear ANYTHING in the store! I'd gained weight, but my mind still thought I was a size 6. I would hold up pants and think I could wear them, then try to put them on and they wouldn't go over my thighs.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    When I was about six and kids started making fun of me.
  • HannahWhitfield7
    Options
    I am a bit the same... i always knew i was bigger than most of the other kids at school but it only started to bother me maybe 3 or 4 years ago.
    After a long period of not caring, to trying every diet pill and weight loss potion under the sun and a knee surgery which made me realise i was on a downward spiral with my weight... I found MFP and am going to stick to it until i develop new habits that become my new lifestyle :)
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a dating site.....

Seriously though, it was just recently for me when I couldn't run to the end of the block without being winded!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    my legs were chunky when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. I went through puberty way too early and was the tallest (and heaviest) kid in class. this went on for years and years. I was likely an average weight, but everyone around me was either much larger, or much MUCH smaller. I wanted to be smaller. I wanted my arms to be rectangles so thin like the other kids. I wanted my legs to run separate from one another instead of slapping against themselves.

still too big
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I was having trouble drawing a piece of art, so I decided to take pictures of myself for reference.

When I sat down and looked at the pictures, I didn't even recognize myself.

It was such a powerful moment for me...I don't know what I thought at that point, all I know is I was in awe...and not the good kind either. It was like looking my mortality in the face, and I realized what a waste my life had been up until then.

Getting fit has changed me entirely as a person. If people don't go through the mental healing, the weight will never truly go away...it has to click.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Well I always knew I was overweight. Been as such since middle school. I'd always repeat to myself "I'm so fat" and not do much about it. I'd try things but would eventually give it up after awhile. I had moobs and a gut that I really, really wanted to get rid of. Then finally I found MFP and decided I'd give it a go and it was actually succeeding. Finally found something I can use and actually stick to.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Second grade.
  • scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    About second grade for me, too. I thought they were teasing me because I was chubby, but it was more because of the stupid clothes my parents bought me. (Size: Husky)
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I've always been an athlete, parents keep only healthy foods in the house, etc...

Then went to college, had my own place, bought my own food...Junk and fast food... A year later went to my annual doctor's appointment and my doctor was almost in tears and was shock and said, "you gain over 50lbs since I last saw you, your overweight, etc...."... I cried for weeks... My cousin had a wedding and I couldn't fit the dress and had to do last minute alterations.. Cried cried cried... Then MFP saved me.... Then these wonderful MFP friends saved me... Now I lost half and I got the other half to go...
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    The most recent time & last: My daughter tellin me I was fat & that it looked disgusting...also ripped out 3 pairs of pants in 6 mos.

(My start weight at the beginning of the year was 180lbs & goin up)
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have always been short. At 5'4" and 140lbs I would look at myself and say I was average (if that makes any sense) because I was thinner than all the rest of my fat siblings. Then recently saw a picture of myself, and I thought, "is that my brother?" I had packed on 30 pudgy pounds and felt like crap. That was my moment.
  • yessiseguy
    Options
    I did not realize I was big because I never was. What I did realize is that I was not always happy with the way I looked. Sometimes too skinny or sometimes I felt a bit sick. I realized I needed to eat well and take care of myself. So maybe the correct answer is: I realized when I turned 3O that I need to maintain a good body along with the proper calorie intake and nutrition.